Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:40 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,102,735 times

Advertisements

Of course there would be exemptions from paying any taxes.
The pentacostal church on 14st operating out of a store front with its 27 members would be exempt. The rural church with 52 members would be exempt. The synogogue operating out of a house in Brighton Beach with its 17 members would be exempt. A mosque with less than 10,000 members would be exempt.
Who would pay? All the catholic, protestant churches. All the mega size TV show churches. Take money from the people who actually pay taxes and make the country work. The parishioners would have to put more money in the collection plate to cover the church taxes. Spred the wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,877,478 times
When they start investing... they should no longer be exempt. They should have a church and that is tax exempt... any other holdings, let them pay.

When they move into the political realm and start acting like a PAC... tax them for everything.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,990,800 times
Well even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:01 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,220,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Where did the article mention anything about Obama supporters? There are many taxpayers who are against tax exemptions for "churches" and they're not all Obama supporters either.
I think he's referring to Bill Maher, who's an athiest. From what I can see--ONE Obama supporter wants the tax exempt status ended for churches--and I'm not all that sure he's a strong Obama supporter. He's ripped into him on his show pretty strongly a couple of times.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:03 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,926,113 times
tax churches!!!!

Old 02-03-2011, 05:20 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,649,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I think he's referring to Bill Maher, who's an athiest. From what I can see--ONE Obama supporter wants the tax exempt status ended for churches--and I'm not all that sure he's a strong Obama supporter. He's ripped into him on his show pretty strongly a couple of times.
Maher's support of Obama was pretty tepid, of the "lesser evil" variety.

I agree that churches should be taxed, especially if they engage in political activity.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:46 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,278,409 times
If you tax churches, mosques and synagogues must also be taxed. Its very dangerous to start taxing politically incorrect religious bodies while exempting others. Either all religion should be taxed or none at all. Taxation would put small and rural churches out of operation.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,649,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
If you tax churches, mosques and synagogues must also be taxed. Its very dangerous to start taxing politically incorrect religious bodies while exempting others. Either all religion should be taxed or none at all. Taxation would put small and rural churches out of operation.
Of course mosques and synagogues would be taxed.

I'd be for taxing all churches. It would put not only Westboro Baptist Church out of business (most people would think that would be a good thing) but also put Scientology out of business (an organized crime ring hiding under the guise of a religion - and not the only one ; La Eme has started storefront evangelical churches as covers for their operations and to launder money).

Old 02-03-2011, 09:38 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,027,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmavris View Post
Money,,,money where can you find ? In the churches and there properties , are you blind?....its not a tricle or two . Its millions they stashed from me and you . Over the years a poor box for the homeless they teach...give cheerfull money is all they preach.. The bakers and fakers,jim joneses and there class..nothing but leaches sucking money from the poor and middle class..wake up religion is doomed ,every one of them.. Have mushroomed , . On you and me they sit atop , telling us pay or in hell will rott......tax em all... Pay off our national debt
LOL, tried to rep you.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:54 PM

419 posts, read 869,830 times
Of course religious institutions should be taxed. It's about damn time to treat them like any other non-profit organization. Tax the churches!

And here's a 1930 article from Joseph McCabe, a former priest, that's discusses reasons for the taxation of church property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies