Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 01:20 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times

Advertisements

Words only have power when the person on the receiving end gives them power. I worked with a little black guy (he was 5'4, and I'm a white gal who's 6'1, so it was funny to us) and he used to call me a cracker, honky etc. and I used to call him Wee Nizzle, and the n word. I also told him to 'stay black' when he left work instead of saying goodbye. We desensitized these words to the point where they were nothing more than a nickname or greeting/salutation. Eventually, they will lose their connotations and things will go on as normal, and new offensive names will be thought up.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I never worry about those names because frankly I just don't have much respect for those that use them.Its like being cursed by the devil;that's what you expect.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:22 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
If people are childish enough to start name calling to make their point, I quit listening. Therefor I don't get offended.
I might pity them a bit because of their ignorance but I won't be offended.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:25 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,718,740 times
I am black and like no type of racism against anybody.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:48 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,062,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne007 View Post
Why are white people not offended by slurs like kracker, honky or white trash?

Racist/ Nazi, is probaly the most offensive slur to a white person

Maybe it is because they were coined by Euro Americans to describe other Euro Americans.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:06 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:

I think cracker, or honky is funny. Doesn't bother me at all.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:13 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I think cracker, or honky is funny. Doesn't bother me at all.
LOL! My first significant time in jail, I was the only white amongst about thirty blacks in our section. I walked over to my cot, which had a group of blacks gathered not too far away and when we all started meeting and I was asked my name, I said "Just call me cracker... It'll be easier to remember." We all had a great laugh and, as was typical for me in Detroit, speaking openly about race eliminated all tension.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:33 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Quote:

From what I've seen, here's my honest estimation of why whites (and to add to it, Jews and Asians as well) take little to no offense of ethnic slurs: it's like the playground bullying picking on the popular kid (or in the case of Jews and Asians, the well-liked kid). Even though a few words are slung at the popular/well-liked kid, at the end of the day, the kid still knows he has the advantage; that he still gets the social benefits or at least his fair share, he gets the constant breaks and second chances, he still has the "special" connections, and he's seen as the standard or of an acceptable physical and sexual attraction. And besides, if someone who isn't respected at all on the playground makes fun of him, he can just laugh it off at the end of the day with his friends on how the bully "picked on him."

Sorry to tell the truth to all of you. But if I was white (or even Jewish/Asian/Indian), I wouldn't take as much offense to racial slurs than if I was Black/Latino/Middle Eastern.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:58 PM

106 posts, read 184,389 times
He he I think its funny. I don't mind, like others have said it can only be offensive if you assign offensive value to it. I don't. I think it is an inadvertent function of public schools and being a kid - to make the skin thicker. Kids are cruel, and once in a while adults have their inner kid come out and say something cruel. My best friends at work consist of a black mexican, a dark skinned but as far as he knows totally caucasian jew, a philippino, and some white bread (me) - and when we go to lunch the tables around us probably think we write jokes for Lisa Lampanelli.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:01 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,040,169 times
African Americans are offended by certain words. As I recall, they have something to ***** and moan about. I can't quite remember what it was, but it has something to do with boats and shackles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies