Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 04:16 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I think its a bit of a generalization to say that white people aren't offended by those words.
I agree. Why shouldn't white people be offended by this? I'm white, and coming from a stranger, it would offend me. "Inside" jokes among family and friends, of course, is different. That's true of ALL racial groups..ALL of us make jokes 'on ourselves' that would be offensive in a public setting.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:22 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMecca View Post
I was actually having this EXACT conversation with a friend who said looters (in New Orleans) were primary 'poor white trash, blacks, and hispanics'

He's white...Im black -- i was slightly offended because he didnt (to your point) segment blacks and hispanics out

He never saw my point.

At least some do

Great Message board
This is the EXACT point that's been on my mind for years, but this post is the very FIRST time I've ever heard it put to words. It DOES sound to me very much like a thinly-veiled, not-too-subtle racist remark, when one uses the term "white trash". The implication is that among blacks and Hispanics (and whomever else), that 'looters' or other miscreants are drawn from the 'general population'....but whites are 'different', in that among the WHITE population, only the 'trash' misbehaves. One MIGHT as well have said 'the looters were TYPICAL blacks, and TYPICAL Hispanics, but ATYPICAL whites'.

Good point, and as I've said, the first time I've seen this rather 'subtle slur' actually put into words.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:10 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
To tell the truth, when I hear people using those words it does offend me, although they are not directed at me it still irritates me. Most of the time it's being used because that person thinks they are better than others, sometimes I've heard it used in a racial way, in either case I just don't socialize with that type of person, most of the time those folks spouting that stuff should look in a mirror.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:24 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,589 times
I don't think I've ever been called a [insert a racist term to refer to Hispanics] in a hateful way.. I could of been called one this certain day a long long time ago.. but I didn't go to school that day

Edit 9/7/08: I was called a 'Coconut' today.. so I guess this post no longer counts.

Last edited by Californio; 09-07-2008 at 05:39 PM..

Old 09-07-2008, 05:53 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,408,173 times
People need to stop caring about this kind of thing.

Call me a cracker, honky, white trash, whatever. WHO CARES?

And if I do care, I do have the option of confronting you...or talking to someone else.

Yeesh with all the outrage, for petesakes.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:03 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
For me it would depend who is saying it and the context its used.
Example if a Black manager called me a kracker while dressing me down? I might knock his racist butt out.
If a black friend said yo kracker hows the cows? I would laugh and ask him about the cotton harvest.
Tone, context, and who says it makes all the difference.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:08 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,408,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
...Example if a Black manager called me a kracker while dressing me down? I might knock his racist butt out....
Makes sense logically but guess who's arrested for a hate crime about a half hour later?

Old 09-07-2008, 06:27 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Makes sense logically but guess who's arrested for a hate crime about a half hour later?
Depends where you live I am sure. But I hear you. It is acceptable amoung the PC crowd for minorities to use racial slurs. Rap and hip hop are proof of this. But let a white person write songs or record songs calling for the same exact things only against minorities and even if it were published would either be banned or the author jailed.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:08 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Remember too that 'White' people run the gamut in skin tone from 'paper white' to dark brown..................
I know there are black people who are paper white......but there are white people who are dark brown?

Old 09-07-2008, 07:09 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I don't think I've ever been called a [insert a racist term to refer to Hispanics] in a hateful way.. I could of been called one this certain day a long long time ago.. but I didn't go to school that day

Edit 9/7/08: I was called a 'Coconut' today.. so I guess this post no longer counts.
I get called that all the time.......for totally different reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies