Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 01:38 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, and smoking is one of the leading causes of heart disease.

Diabetes? Did you know that a smoker is three times as likely to develop diabetes as a non-smoker?

No, I don't want to pay for your mistakes anymore
Smoking is not the leading cause of heart disease - Heart and circulatory diseases involve clogged arteries. It is the biggest causes of death worldwide. While there are many contributing factors to this condition, high levels of LDL cholesterol is the number one reason. See how stats work

I make no mistakes. I am perfect I will continue
to pay taxes and contribute for whoever gets sick, for whatever reason, because I am a caring, compassionate person who loves my fellow man, warts and all

Now, go have a doughnut since your arguments
are so full of holes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I think a lot can be done by educating kids about food, and by labeling calorie and sugar contents more clearly at the grocerie stores. A lot of people would not buy unhealthy foods if they knew it was unhealthy.

In most cases it is a matter of ignorance. No one wants to be fat. If you can walk to a grocery store and see color coded foods with red signs warning of unhealthy foods, and green color idntifying heatlhy choises, people would choose healthy. There is no doubt about it.

I ordered Applebee's Fajita burger some time ago, because it looked delicious, and by looking at the menu it seemed healthier than regular burger since it didn't have bread. The next week I saw it listed as "America's most unhealthy restaurant meal". The menu said nothing about the extreme salt content. If the menus included nutrition facts, people would know what they put in their mounts.

You can't say the same about smoking, because EVERYONE knows it is an EXTREMELY unhealthy habit.
Just wondering, did you enjoy that Applebee's Fajita burger, or not

Old 12-15-2010, 01:42 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Heh, I don't know about other people who used to smoke grass back in the day (for me the late 70s and early 80s), but I figure I was pretty close to that number counting bong usage and all. I was a walking Cheech and Chong movie.
I'd say that is as rare as someone smoking 60 cigs a day. I grew up in a place where I was surrounded by pot smokers and althought they smoked every day, none of them smoked 20 a day. As a matter of fact, I think it would very difficult to do in today's world of stronger pot.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 12-15-2010 at 01:50 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Smoking is not the leading cause of heart disease - Heart and circulatory diseases involve clogged arteries.
You have not done your homework.

Smoking clogs arteries because it causes atherosclerosis, and increases blood pressure and IT IS one of the leading causes of heart disease.

As far as preventable causes of heart disease, smoking is a clear #1.

Smoking and Heart Disease

Quote:
<H5>What's the link between smoking and cardiovascular disease?
Quote:
Smoking is a major cause of atherosclerosis — a buildup of fatty substances in the arteries. Atherosclerosis occurs when the normal lining of the arteries deteriorates, the walls of the arteries thicken and deposits of fat and plaque block the flow of blood through the arteries. In coronary artery disease, the arteries that supply blood to the heart become severely narrowed, decreasing the supply of oxygen-rich blood to the heart, especially during times of increased activity. Extra strain on the heart may result in chest pain (angina pectoris) and other symptoms. When one or more of the coronary arteries are completely blocked, a heart attack (injury to the heart muscle) may occur.
In peripheral artery disease, atherosclerosis affects the arteries that carry blood to the arms and legs. As a result, the patient may experience painful cramping of the leg muscles when walking (a condition called intermittent claudication). Peripheral artery disease also increases the risk of stroke.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:50 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
I think a lot can be done by educating kids about food, and by labeling calorie and sugar contents more clearly at the grocerie stores. A lot of people would not buy unhealthy foods if they knew it was unhealthy.

In most cases it is a matter of ignorance. No one wants to be fat. If you can walk to a grocery store and see color coded foods with red signs warning of unhealthy foods, and green color idntifying heatlhy choises, people would choose healthy. There is no doubt about it.

I ordered Applebee's Fajita burger some time ago, because it looked delicious, and by looking at the menu it seemed healthier than regular burger since it didn't have bread. The next week I saw it listed as "America's most unhealthy restaurant meal". The menu said nothing about the extreme salt content. If the menus included nutrition facts, people would know what they put in their mounts.

You can't say the same about smoking, because EVERYONE knows it is an EXTREMELY unhealthy habit.
OMG..............people don't know that a salad is a better choice than a big, juicy burger with fries?

People know what is healthy to eat........they choose not to eat that way.

They love their donuts, chips and greasy meat dishes..........they are not going to give them up because some nanny puts a little sign up that says you should eat a nice salad instead.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Just wondering, did you enjoy that Applebee's Fajita burger, or not
If you order one, make sure you don't have to sit in the car for a long time after you eat it. It is likely to send you the bathroom in about 20 mins.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
OMG..............people don't know that a salad is a better choice than a big, juicy burger with fries?

People know what is healthy to eat........they choose not to eat that way.

They love their donuts, chips and greasy meat dishes..........they are not going to give them up because some nanny puts a little sign up that says you should eat a nice salad instead.
I am not talking about salad vs burger, but the choise between Serial A and Serial B, or burger meat A vs burger meat B. One is healthy and the other is not.

If it wasn't for the nutrition facts, how would you know which serial contains twice the sugar compared to the other? Sure, there are people who simply don't care, but practically no one wants to be fat.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Smoking clogs arteries because it causes atherosclerosis, and increases blood pressure and IT IS one of the leading causes of heart disease.

[b]
Funny, I am 57..........ALL of my nonsmoking, slightly overweight friends are the ones on cholesterol and high blood pressure meds..........not me.

One of my nonsmokeing friends is diabetic now too..........because of his weight.

I am the only one who doesn't eat meat and fried foods.......I watch my diet........and smoke.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:

[b]
So Bill Clinton was a smoker or was he a Big Macker
How about Dick Cheney? Stats are fat folks hands
down get heart disease more often than thin smokers do.
Now if you smoke and have a big mac in your hand all the time - no one can help you

A study of more than 111,000 people has shown that overweight people have heart attacks on average 12 years earlier than "normal weight" individuals. This makes obesity worse for the heart than smoking, according to this study.

Obese Have Heart Attacks 12 Years Earlier?

Now, go have another doughnut

Old 12-15-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I am not talking about salad vs burger, but the choise between Serial A and Serial B, or burger meat A vs burger meat B. One is healthy and the other is not.

If it wasn't for the nutrition facts, how would you know which serial contains twice the sugar compared to the other? Sure, there are people who simply don't care, but practically no one wants to be fat.
Yes, they don't want to be fat............but they are NOT going to sit there and watch their football games and snack on veggies.

They are going to snack on pizza, chips/dip and fried wings because they LOVE them.

They do not have the will power to give up their favorite foods regardless of whether they are a healthy choice or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies