Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 01:03 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
The main library in my hometown is very nice but it smells terrible. The smell is from the many homeless and mentally ill people who arrive at the Library at opening time and sit there all day looking at books and magazines. Most of them are well mannered and just want to go to a place outside of the bad weather.

According to law, the Libraries can not exclude homeless people if they are not disruptive. But some Library systems believe that if a person smells terrible (body odor), that they should be kicked out of the building.

Advocates for the homeless say that Library staff will use that excuse to kick all homeless out and that it is impossible to have a standard for smelling OK.

What should be done with well behaved but smelly homeless at the Library?
A library representative could call or visit the homeless shelter and gently let the director know of the complaints. (Patrons couldn't be nearly as effective as, say, the library director.) Homeless people who dont live in shelters - the library may just have to create a very polite set speech and train the staff to kindly, discreetly deliver it as necessary.

I dont think the idea of public, publicly funded clean-up places would ever fly anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 01:19 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
I would not encourage homelessness. Any city that does so is just asking for more of them. The one thing I appreciate about winter coming is that the bums have to go further south unless they are hardcore. The best solution is to give them a free bus ride to California.
The city I used to live in openly supported them and spent much of our taxable income on them. Because they did this, many cities both far and near us bussed in their homeless. You couldn't walk 10ft without having someone begging for something. The city kept wanting to spend more and more money on them and then whined about how they had little money to spend on police and fire.

I've had a lot of experience around the homeless and I can tell you while there are some legitimate cases of people falling on hard times or having mental issues that make them incompatiable with social interaction, much of the homeless I have dealt with are nothing more than scamming lazy peices of garbage.

I once had a talk with a group of "young" homeless in my old hometown. After about 30 mins of talking to them, they were pretty clear about why they were homeless and it disgusted me how much they were taking advantage of the system. To have a 20 year old guy sitting on the sidewalk with a sign that said "help a hippie out" made me want to pummel the little lazy peice of garbage, espically with as many people I have seen who ACTUALLY were living hard times and went the extra mile to provide for themselves and their family.

We pay taxes for public buildings and services, the homeless abuse them for a "special house to get out of the rain". They are not willing to work because they don't get their level of reward for it. Many are homeless because they don't feel they should have to work that hard to provide for themselves or they have some stupid idealology that they claim is against it. Fine, be against it, thats their right, but we also have a right to deny them for not putting into it.

Deny them, kick them out. There are too many places out there willing to help people like this. The claim that they can't get ahead is nothing short of a sucker story for bleeding heart people. If they are not willing to help themselves, they deserve no handouts.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:20 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
The main library in my hometown is very nice but it smells terrible. The smell is from the many homeless and mentally ill people who arrive at the Library at opening time and sit there all day looking at books and magazines. Most of them are well mannered and just want to go to a place outside of the bad weather.

According to law, the Libraries can not exclude homeless people if they are not disruptive. But some Library systems believe that if a person smells terrible (body odor), that they should be kicked out of the building.

Advocates for the homeless say that Library staff will use that excuse to kick all homeless out and that it is impossible to have a standard for smelling OK.

Yes, they should be kicked out. It's offensive, just like running all over the place, swearing and yelling. The library is not a shelter.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:11 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
talk about being loud in a quiet way

Old 10-06-2008, 03:36 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
The city I used to live in openly supported them and spent much of our taxable income on them. Because they did this, many cities both far and near us bussed in their homeless. You couldn't walk 10ft without having someone begging for something. The city kept wanting to spend more and more money on them and then whined about how they had little money to spend on police and fire.

I've had a lot of experience around the homeless and I can tell you while there are some legitimate cases of people falling on hard times or having mental issues that make them incompatiable with social interaction, much of the homeless I have dealt with are nothing more than scamming lazy peices of garbage.

I once had a talk with a group of "young" homeless in my old hometown. After about 30 mins of talking to them, they were pretty clear about why they were homeless and it disgusted me how much they were taking advantage of the system. To have a 20 year old guy sitting on the sidewalk with a sign that said "help a hippie out" made me want to pummel the little lazy peice of garbage, espically with as many people I have seen who ACTUALLY were living hard times and went the extra mile to provide for themselves and their family.

We pay taxes for public buildings and services, the homeless abuse them for a "special house to get out of the rain". They are not willing to work because they don't get their level of reward for it. Many are homeless because they don't feel they should have to work that hard to provide for themselves or they have some stupid idealology that they claim is against it. Fine, be against it, thats their right, but we also have a right to deny them for not putting into it.

Deny them, kick them out. There are too many places out there willing to help people like this. The claim that they can't get ahead is nothing short of a sucker story for bleeding heart people. If they are not willing to help themselves, they deserve no handouts.
Amen and Amen. The difference between someone who is down on their luck and the permanant homeless is mentality. Those people who are on the streets most likely WANT to be. They don't want to work. And I'll bet you dollars to donuts if you gave them money, a place to live, whatever, more than likely these things would NOT be appreciated, and would not foster any sort of change. Those who want to change DO change. They don't see it as an entitlement or the duty of others to be their care and concern. They will UTILIZE the social services, not "use" them. It's akin to "white trash." You can take it and dress it up in the finest clothes, throw money at it, buy it gifts and fancy things, treat it like gold, but in the end, it's just a well-dressed version of white trash. It's a mentality, not an outward condition.

I used to work at a public library and the homeless situation was unreal. We had to ask them to stop filling up the corridor with their bags and backpacks. They were caught washing socks and who knows what else in the public restrooms, using the private study rooms for all sorts of nonsense, whacking off in the book stacks, you name it...I've seen it. Funny how they always seem to have money for that $5 pack of smokes.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:41 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,286 times
There needs to be tougher stink laws. We already have laws that are related to that. Such as not allowing people to have chickens, pigs, horses and livestock in an urban setting. Why ? Because people don't want to smell that sh*t !! The same should apply to people in public places, homeless or not. You should recieve a stink ticket and be removed by the cops if you go in a public building, store, or theatre that way.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:03 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Quote:

I don't know. What should they do with the non-homeless smelly people? I've dealt with plenty of them. What's your answer?

Old 10-06-2008, 05:19 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
There needs to be tougher stink laws. We already have laws that are related to that. Such as not allowing people to have chickens, pigs, horses and livestock in an urban setting. Why ? Because people don't want to smell that sh*t !! The same should apply to people in public places, homeless or not. You should recieve a stink ticket and be removed by the cops if you go in a public building, store, or theatre that way.
not sure what you mean by "urban setting", but in many large cities, it is perfectly legal to have chickens (not for slaughter in most cases) w/in city limits.

also, can that "stink ticket" be extended to those who wear excessive perfume/cologne, and ANY man wearing ANY amount (I don't care if it's the tiniest dab) of Aramis cologne?

Old 10-06-2008, 06:15 PM

If you smell like a turd with Aramis cologne sprinkled on it, then yes, you should be flushed out of the place.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:49 PM

We also have laws against dogs being in grocery stores, restaurants and many indoor public places. Why ? because its unsanitary. So why do we allow some dingleberry to do the same thing ? Especially when you can plainly see and smell that a person has been putting in overtime rolling around in their own filth. And your gonna sit down in that library chair and get some after-funk on you ? Maybe later go home and feed the baby and cook supper ? Or go to a restaurant and sit down next to Randy Reek for some stink & lobster ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies