Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:26 AM

500 posts, read 703,166 times

Advertisements

Prayer leads to work disputes - USATODAY.com

So lets see here. They left their country because let's face it, it's a crap-hole compared to America, they immigrated to America to provide better life for themselves and their families, but instead of assimilating, and respecting the cultures/laws/rules, they are throwing a temper tantrum, and demanding to change things to fit THEIR Islamic lifestyle. Unfreaken-believable

I came from a country that is a crap-hole compared to American, you know what I did? I worked hard, kept my trap shut, followed the rules/laws/culture and made every effort to assimilate rather than dispute. It's the least I can do to show my thanks to a country that took me in and gave me an opportunity for better life.

My favorite line is this
Quote:
"Anytime I'm not (praying), I'm damaging my relationship with God," he says through a translator.
I think GOD will understand that a hard-working, honest men/women providing for his/her cannot pray the required five times a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 09:29 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
5 times a day, 5 to 10 minutes... do they forbid people from taking smoke breaks at this plant?

Old 10-16-2008, 09:39 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
5 times a day, 5 to 10 minutes... do they forbid people from taking smoke breaks at this plant?
Smoke breaks where you choose to pray I can deal with. Anything more than that I am entirely against regardless of which religion people follow.

Get your butt to work and do your job. If you don't want to then leave said job. Someone else will be happy to take it off your hands.

On a minor note, I hate the word assimilate when used in the context of people.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
They thought when they moved to America that there was a first amendment right to freedom of religion "and the free exercise thereof". I guess they were lied to by their new craphole of a country.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:43 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
The thing to remember here is...these are production jobs. It is not like these people work in cubicles where they can take a five to ten minute break and noone would be the wiser. In a factory or a processing plant, these people are on a line -- meaning, if one person leaves the line production will become backed up and will effect all the other workers on the line. Plus, there are often production schedules that must be met, and if the line is being stopped five times a day that could seriously hamper the factories output.
As immigrants it is these peoples responsibility to make their religous and cultural views mesh with their new reality -- living in America. It is NOT the US's responsibility to mesh its outlook with that of immigrants.
To me, this is very simple --- if you must pray 5 times a day it is your responsibility as a good muslim to find a job where that is doable. Otherwise, immigrating to a muslim theocracy might be something to consider.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:46 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
They thought when they moved to America that there was a first amendment right to freedom of religion "and the free exercise thereof". I guess they were lied to by their new craphole of a country.
Their new craphole of a country? I invite you to picket a factory in Iran because they won't let you say the rosary.....

Old 10-16-2008, 09:48 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
do they forbid people from taking smoke breaks at this plant?
If they don't, they should

Old 10-16-2008, 09:50 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,825 times
Quote:
They are perfectly free to exercise their religious rights in/on their own time. No one stops them from that and that to me lives up to the idea of free exercise thereof. They are free to practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
To me, this is very simple --- if you must pray 5 times a day it is your responsibility as a good muslim to find a job where that is doable. Otherwise, immigrating to a muslim theocracy might be something to consider.
ITA. To me it is no different than choosing whether or not to take a job that will have you working on Saturday or Sunday (depending on your beliefs) when you don't believe in working on one of those days. You make the choice. I am 110% against the idea that a person takes any job be it production, sales or white collar then believes a job should conform to their religious beliefs.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:05 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Their new craphole of a country? I invite you to picket a factory in Iran because they won't let you say the rosary.....

What are you trying to say? Are you saying Iran is just like the US? Are you saying it is OK to call Iran a craphole but not the US? What are you trying to say?

Old 10-16-2008, 10:09 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
What if my religion says I'm not to work more than 5 hours a day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies