Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 02:21 AM

464 posts, read 1,360,902 times

Advertisements

Majority of the people I talk with are talking non sense about the economy and blah blah blah....I have never seen such un-patriotism for our canidates that are running for president. Ever.

So, this thread is aimed specifically at the naysayers. If you think Obama is going to mess up the economy, where are you planning to move to?

If you think McCain isnt going to do any justice for the economy, where are you going to move to? huh? huh?

If you are the one always bombarding my ears with your political non sense...give me (and the rest of us who dont give a **** about politics) an alternative to staying here.

If we are so doomed as you predict...then give us a place, what country we should go to so I can start booking airfare and planning visits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 03:26 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
Although, I don't think the US is necessarily doomed I have thought about where I could move if things do get worse than I expect. Unfortunately its not easy to pick up and move to many other countries. But some countries that I've personally looked into are

Singapore.
Thailand
New Zealand.
United Arab Emirates
Belgium
Netherlands

Old 10-18-2008, 04:12 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
This is not a political forum, at least not partisan, and let's keep it that way.

So let's put this in economic terms and, more generally, in human terms.

Markets, regardless of institutional set-up, like life itself, are volatile.

How do you manage volatility?

Do you hedge by setting up something in another country? Maybe, maybe not. In either case, you have to keep hedging your position until maturity.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:24 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Although, I don't think the US is necessarily doomed I have thought about where I could move if things do get worse than I expect. Unfortunately its not easy to pick up and move to many other countries. But some countries that I've personally looked into are

Singapore.
Thailand
New Zealand.
United Arab Emirates
Belgium
Netherlands
Except for Thailand (and for those of retirement age), none of these countries will accept an American for permanent residence unless you are married to a citizen of the country or have significant business investment.
Malaysia has a program for US citizens that want to live there. Penang is affordable at present. Keep in mind though that as the US goes down, so goes the world. Why move? At least you are on home ground here.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:43 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Amsterdam the Netherlands I believe you can toke up and get prostitutes. One word AWESOME! Granted I think you do get pretty screwed on taxes...but........WHO CARES!.........PROSTITUES AND WEED FOR EVERYONE!

Old 10-18-2008, 04:47 AM

71 posts, read 228,084 times
Six months ago most of the world press said most
countries are now safety decoupled from what happens
in America.The old saying"When the U.S sneezes
the world catches a cold" we felt that this time
it would no longer be true,due to the rise of china and
india as economic powers the world would do just fine on its own.
Boy were we wrong. All advanced economies
are now in recession or not far from it.
You could go to the 3rd world.
But why would you want to?
Yes nothing's changed,when the U.S sinks you drag us
all down with you.So I just want to say thanks.
So were can you go?
I have no idea.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:37 AM

There is no place to run. We will all have to make the best of the situation we are in.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:39 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
I'm thinking voting for Nader is easier.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:59 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Except for Thailand (and for those of retirement age), none of these countries will accept an American for permanent residence unless you are married to a citizen of the country or have significant business investment.
This is not true. There are a number of other ways you can become a permanent resident, for example most countries have some sort of program for skilled workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Why move? At least you are on home ground here.
Two reasons, firstly the rest of the world is likely to decouple from the US (In many senses its already starting to). So while the US is declining other areas may be doing rather well. Secondly, because I simply find other areas more enjoyable.

Life is too short to live somewhere you don't like. So far I haven't found a place in the US that I truly like. But I'm still looking.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
This is not true. There are a number of other ways you can become a permanent resident, for example most countries have some sort of program for skilled workers.

Two reasons, firstly the rest of the world is likely to decouple from the US (In many senses its already starting to). So while the US is declining other areas may be doing rather well. Secondly, because I simply find other areas more enjoyable.

Life is too short to live somewhere you don't like. So far I haven't found a place in the US that I truly like. But I'm still looking.
I've looked a lot myself, Costa Rica, Equador, Nepal, Malaysia, Bali, Europe, an so on. I like many of the places but have found legal issues or high violent crime (kipnapping my wife for my SS check for example) that has dissuaded me. In the US I know the system and am not regarded as a foreigner for exploitation. If you are young and have highly marketable skills then you are in a much better position than an old retiree like me. New Zealand is a great place to live. Canada has lot's of room for the right people.

I am not trying to discourage you and hope you find the rigjht place. I am also still looking. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies