Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 11:26 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,534,028 times

Advertisements

All the time. Although, it is vary rare that it is done by anyone other than someone of hispanic origin.

I was one of maybe 100 white kids in my entire middle school whose enrollment was a total of approximately 800. I was referred to as "whitey" or "whiteboy" more times than my name, on any given day. Even to this day in the workplace, I hear the same thing, though not nearly as much.

I don't find it harmful, but in the end, it is still racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 11:28 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
I think more of the credit should go to the fact that you live in a 98% white state. who is there to discriminate against? are the polish and the irish still going at it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Yes, as a woman married to a mixed race man, I have had comments directed at me by AA (African American) women. I'm white, but with AA members in my immediate family. We had many more negative experiences from CA (Caucasian American) men however. I will say, in credit to my home state, we have never experienced OVERT racism here at home.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:29 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
A lot, when I used to have a job that required me to work in cities in New Jersey. Not by actions (with one exception when I was assaulted) but by words in every case.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:30 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I know in El Paso, my white friends/coworkers got a lot of crap. Especially the women.

2,258 posts, read 3,494,719 times
I'm mixed Mexican/German descent but look 100% white, and live along the Mexican border, and I've been ridiculed once or twice for "being white", as have some of my white friends. When I was up north I hung out with a lot of black co-workers, and they would all tease me for looking white, but in a joking manner so I didn't get offended.

But the worst I saw was in East Texas, when the restaurant staff (white of course) looked at my dad with disgust because he was Mexican. The waitress could barely hide her contempt. It was humiliating.

Yeah, there are racists from all ethnicities. No surprise there.

858 posts, read 1,501,612 times
I llegals are always hating on whites!!

And yeah... I was in Del Taco once and some black lady called me a white piece of **** cause she thought I was starring at her.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:37 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Yes, but not by African-Americans. We used to live in an area that was 97 percent Hispanic and they were horrible to the few white and black kids in the schools. My son was jumped by a group (they ALWAYS brutalized in groups, never one-on-one) of older kids he didn't even know and they yelled racial slurs as they beat him. The (Hispanic) administrators wouldn't own up to there being a problem, grrrrr, even though the white and black kids all had the same things happen to them.

As an adult, I wasn't harassed -- it was more like exclusion and plain ignorance. I'd invite Hispanic coworkers and acquaintances to my home for parties and such and they would always come but they would not invite us to their homes and events. They would also utter rather dumb stereotypes about white and black folks as fact.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:43 AM

855 posts, read 2,396,856 times
Much more than once over the years. In the early 70's I became friends with a black guy who moved to the area. We lived in a predominantly white area and there were plenty of occasions where I was referred to as a N lover.

Conversely I would visit with some of his relatives and other friends in the city at times and it wasn't uncommon for me to be referred to as everything from cracker or honky to King killer and white ****. It wasn't unusual to be walking down the street and be intentionally bumped into and asked, "You got a problem, *****?", or something similiar.

My second wife was black and her sister was married to an almost militantly racist black man. I would have conversations with her on the phone and hear him in the background asking if it was her sister or that honky (Insert profanity of your choice, he used them all) again. He never said anything to my face but you could feel the disdain seeping out of his pores every time I was around him. One time he even accused me of taking something from their house just as an excuse to pick a fight.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:44 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
yes. A good friend of mine in high school warned me that when me and him did things that I should stop coming to his house to pick him up and that he would get a ride from his sister to meet me. He was black and lived in an all black area, and he told me that his neighbors had told him if he lets that stupid white motherf***er keep coming over, they were going to beat me first, and then beat him for being friends with a white motherf****er.

That being said, there were places that I would not go hang out when me and him were doing things because I knew there were whites with the same attitudes.

Sad.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:46 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,553,586 times
Oh yeah...when we lived in Grenada for 2 years.

ETA...I think it was a combo of being white and being American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies