Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ???
I would fully support the decision 52 58.43%
I would talk them out of it, then if they still wanted to do it i'd support them 22 24.72%
I would be fully against it 15 16.85%
Not sure 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:55 PM

472 posts, read 740,881 times

Advertisements

I may be wrong, but don't three of the four major candidates for President/Vice President have family members in the military?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 11:10 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,418,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinCarl View Post
I was in the military (Ft. Hood Tx.. ****hole)... I know what it is like... He is not going.. I've been brainwashing him since he was young.. I have no fear of that happening.

again...when those douchebags that "run" our nation deem their children should be "so honored" to serve their country I may change my mind.

You all can have your kids die for THEM.. your choice.. pretty sad choice for "honor" that our esteemed asses don't feel the same about
um.... both candidates for president DO have kids that are in active duty....

Old 10-27-2008, 11:13 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,418,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
My son enlisted over 20 years ago - when he was 17 years 9 months of age. He had wanted to make the Navy a career from the time he was in 7th grade.

Recently, he "re-upped" to take him to 25 years and he will probably go to 30 (if not more). His wife is also career military.

In July, he returned from his 5th tour in the Middle East, and will be returning to Iraq (this time) in March - tour #6. My Daughter-in-Law has done 2 tours.

Do I worry about them? Of course I do. But, I support them ferociously as well - they believe in their mission - they are proudly serving their country.

There have been two "close calls" resulting in two Purple Hearts - but, like his fellow service members who were wounded, they want to go back to finish their mission -
Yes - I totally support those who wish to enlist! A finer bunch of true Americans they all are!
my cousin who is reaching the end of his enlistment period, just recently (two weeks ago) got shot twice in the chest while on patrol. All I can say is Thank God for body armor that was given to him by our tax dollars. He ended up getting away with nothing more than a couple of bruises and some minor pain.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:02 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Only if they wear a blue UN helmet and fight in politically correct wars.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:15 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,498,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
My son enlisted over 20 years ago - when he was 17 years 9 months of age. He had wanted to make the Navy a career from the time he was in 7th grade.

Recently, he "re-upped" to take him to 25 years and he will probably go to 30 (if not more). His wife is also career military.

In July, he returned from his 5th tour in the Middle East, and will be returning to Iraq (this time) in March - tour #6. My Daughter-in-Law has done 2 tours.

Do I worry about them? Of course I do. But, I support them ferociously as well - they believe in their mission - they are proudly serving their country.

There have been two "close calls" resulting in two Purple Hearts - but, like his fellow service members who were wounded, they want to go back to finish their mission -

Yes - I totally support those who wish to enlist! A finer bunch of true Americans they all are!
I also Support our Troops. And I would like to thank you, & your family, for your sacrifices....
My son enlisted, at 17yrs, 10months, in Nov2002. (Army) I had to sign papers, also. He was 18, and a high schoool graduate, when he left for basic training.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:40 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
If I told my mother that after paying for K-12 private education, and setting aside money for higher education, that I was joining the Army? I'd feel ungrateful. So I can imagine what she'd feel. That's now what I've been invested in for, and more importantly not what I've invested in myself for.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:23 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,171,437 times
I have two son's that joined the military.
One has 11 years in.
One has 5 years in.
Both were active duty. Both are now in the active reserves
One was in Aftganistan.
I didn't encourage or discourage them. It is hard for a parent knowing their sons or daughters might go into harms way. It was up to them.
They are both using or have used military benefits to obtain training that gives them the ability to have obtained the good jobs they have today.
I was in the military during Vietnam and was a crewchief on a UH-1 helicopter. (Huey)
My Dad was in WW2 attached to Patton's division. I am proud that 3 generations of my family have served our country.
As far as the folks that say they wont "let their kids fight some a??s holes war", they don't seem to realize or appreciate how many others have sacrificed so they can live the life they have today.
They are takers who never have any intention of giving anything in return.
They want freedom handed to them but never intend to do anything to deserve it.
They are users, never givers.
They live their daily lives in the same selfish way.
Aways wanting. Never giving.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:42 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
They say a young person learns more about tolerance, diversity, respect and cooperation in 8 weeks of boot camp than they learn in 4 years of college.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:57 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
I tell my son if you are considering it, go Navy or Air Force.

They can get the same benefits and positive experiences without the same degree of risk.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:02 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
What would your response be?

as long they are 18 years of age, then that choice is up to them, not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies