Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think John Kerry Would Have Won The 2004 Presidential Elections If He Was Black ?
Yes 8 28.57%
No 20 71.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:53 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,969,397 times

Advertisements

Do you think John Kerry would have been our current president at the moment if he was not just another typical old white man ? I definitely think the under 30 demographic and black demographic would have been even more energized and come out in even larger numbers to vote for John Kerry if he didn't look like the dead white guys on the dollar bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 06:57 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,393,049 times
Nope. Personally, I think Barack Obama is doing well in spite of, not because of, the fact that he is black. There are a heck of a lot of people who are still mighty uneasy at the thought of a black president.

The comparison has been drawn to Jackie Robinson. America wasn't "ready" for just any black baseball player, but they were ready for Jackie Robinson.

I think Obama's charisma and other attributes have made his race less of an issue, and even so... it's still been a big issue.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:13 PM

743 posts, read 2,068,806 times
Kerry has no charisma. No matter how white you are, if your face can't light a bulb, people are not drawn to you.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:21 PM

404 posts, read 561,152 times
Stupid and a racist poll

Old 10-28-2008, 07:30 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,918,725 times
I think Kerry may have won...

Let's look at this logically, from a non-politically correct stance:
ExhibitA: Racist whites who will vote against Obama because he's black-unknown number
ExhibitB: Racist blacks who will vote for Obama because of his skin color-unknown number
ExhibitC: Media can't attack Obama like they would others for fear of "being racis"-will influence unknown number

ExhibitD: Whites that will vote for Obama just to prove how tolerant and liberal they are-unknown number.

Now, Does ExhibitA outweigh B,C, and D? I sure don't think so. Possible, but unlikely. So I say that Kerry might not have won, but he would have had a better chance. What does everyone think? Am I a racist because I point out the obvious?

Old 10-28-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYankee69 View Post
Stupid and a racist poll
Wow I guess you really hate free speech huh? I'll bet cash$ that you wouldn't be singing that tune if the poll was "would X black man had been elected if he had been white".

Maybe you should at least back up your statements.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Nope. Personally, I think Barack Obama is doing well in spite of, not because of, the fact that he is black. There are a heck of a lot of people who are still mighty uneasy at the thought of a black president.

The comparison has been drawn to Jackie Robinson. America wasn't "ready" for just any black baseball player, but they were ready for Jackie Robinson.

I think Obama's charisma and other attributes have made his race less of an issue, and even so... it's still been a big issue.
Yes but you are ignoring the hundreds of thousands of blacks in key states who will be voting for him who would not normally vote. And the many whites doing so to prove they're not racist(which is in itself racist against McCain).

There will be plenty of whites that are uneasy about it but you can't deny that at least some of Obama's recent rise to fame can be accredited to his race-especially regarding the media.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:01 PM

YouTube - Howard Stern Exposes Clueless Obama Supporters

Proves my point exactly. Thanks to Southernnature lover on another thread.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Yes but you are ignoring the hundreds of thousands of blacks in key states who will be voting for him who would not normally vote. And the many whites doing so to prove they're not racist(which is in itself racist against McCain).

There will be plenty of whites that are uneasy about it but you can't deny that at least some of Obama's recent rise to fame can be accredited to his race-especially regarding the media.
Agreed.

Also, there are some whites who would not have bothered to vote but are voting this time (and are going to vote for McCain) because they don't want to see a black man in the White House. Obama's race has polarized and energized the black and white people who otherwise would have stayed on the sidelines. I'm saying anyone has to like it but I think we would be incredibly naive if we thought this is not going to be a factor in this election.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:13 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,481,105 times
I think John Kerry DID beat Bush in 2004. Just couldn't beat Diebold.

Was the 2004 Election Stolen? : Rolling Stone

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies