Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Politics in school
I support politics in school, by means of talking, debating, and/or writing essays 15 28.30%
I support politics in school only if it's fair and balanced to both sides. 20 37.74%
I do not support politics in school in no way shape or form and never would. 14 26.42%
I currently do not support politics in school but I may possibly support it under certain circumstances (explain) 2 3.77%
Other (please explain) 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 09:38 PM

826 posts, read 1,626,949 times

Advertisements

I was listening to a local radio show and they were talking about how teachers were talking politics in the classroom.

I do not think that is correct at all. I think the only place for politics is at home, whether its TV, the internet, and/or talking to your parents/family about it (speaking from a child's standpoint). I think it's wrong because in the classroom not everyone thinks the same politically, some kids may not have a full grasp on politics yet, and may be swayed by a teachers opinion. It also can be uncomfortable for a student if there teacher is a liberal and the student is conservative, or if the teacher is conservative and the student is liberal.

Lately some teachers have been having students write essay's on politics/this election, I think that is wrong too.

Also, I don't even think it's right to talk about it even if the teacher is fair and balanced, talking fair points on the left and right side.

I think talking about the election process/election year is okay, but to stand up and preach one side or the other, I do not.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 09:43 PM

343 posts, read 510,847 times
In high school yes, middle and elementary no.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdistheWord View Post
In high school yes, middle and elementary no.
I think that may be even worse, high school students are nearing "adult" age, and have a better grasp on politics than a eight or nine year old, and that could cause heated, angry debates.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:49 PM

343 posts, read 510,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash83 View Post
I think that may be even worse, high school students are nearing "adult" age, and have a better grasp on politics than a eight or nine year old, and that would cause heated, angry debates.

Most kids seem to just repeat what their parents tell them, so kids talking politics would have no point.

Also each class would have the one kid who repeats the racist remarks his parents make.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:50 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,652,523 times
Politics in the classroom below the last two years of High school smacks of indoctrination more often than not. Civics and government need to be taught but only if educators keep their personal views out of the curriculum. They seem to have a hard time doing that and I have had personal experience in this regard. Specifically the pushing of anti hunting, anti ranching and anti Second Ammendment agendas by my sons FOURTH grade teacher. The classroom is not a pulpit for ANY political agenda.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:51 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,038,966 times
I'm ok with school employees discussing politics when students are not around. If a teacher wants to use politics to enhance instruction, he/she should take care not to push his/her political views on the students. They need to encourage students to be critical thinkers and not push their ideologies on the students, especially in the public schools.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:52 PM

5,169 posts, read 11,447,425 times
I certainly do support teaching the fundamentals of politics in the classroom. The average voter is not very well informed on the issues and it would greatly benefit everyone if people were more educated on the issues.
An educated public would be dangerous to the status quo and thereby is not something the two major parties are interested in.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-31-2008, 09:54 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,424,577 times
I would only agree to it if it is a Politics class. If the teacher goes on a political diatribe in the middle of math class the teacher should be punished.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I certainly do support teaching the fundamentals of politics in the classroom. The average voter is not very well informed on the issues and it would greatly benefit everyone if people were more educated on the issues.
An educated public would be dangerous to the status quo and thereby is not something the two major parties are interested in.
I agree teaching the fundamentals is okay, the election process, the way the government works...I just can't accept a teacher talking in front of the class about one candidate or the other, explaining what they stand for and why one is better than the other..see, even the smallest thing I think could start a heated debate, especially in junior/senior levels of high school. It could be dangerous for elementary/middle school too, these are growing kids and if they are fed from the left spoon or the right spoon, it could effect they way they think.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:01 PM

108 posts, read 351,439 times
I think it is important for students to understand what politics is, and how it affects them, but teachers need to keep their beliefs and political affiliation separate from the discussion. I know many teachers do not do this, as we had an email go out at the school I teach at about not promoting, or negatively speaking about, either candidate.

I will talk about politics with my 6th graders if they ask, but am very conscious to keep my beliefs to myself and use generalities during the discussion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies