Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Feel Right At Home Living In A City Where Less Than 10% Of Population Belong To The Same R
No I Would Not And I Am White 89 39.04%
Yes I Would And I Am White 97 42.54%
No I Would Not And I Am Black 13 5.70%
Yes I Would And I Am Black 22 9.65%
No I Would Not And I Am Hispanic 0 0%
Yes I Would And I Am Hispanic 7 3.07%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 08:31 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times

Advertisements

Racial prejudice is universal. Countries with multiple races in any significant numbers will have some racial friction. Like people gather in groups for self protection. Common sense says you live in areas with safety in numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 08:35 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
I lived in Africa where I was a drop of white in an ocean of black. No issues.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:38 AM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
I would have to say that it would depend on a number of factors. Technically, I've already been there/done that--I was in Panama, where as a white person, I was in the minority. And I did have to exercise a lot of caution, but not because of the people so much as the political situation (I was there at the tail end of the Noriega regime and during Operation Just Cause.) However, the people themselves were by and large, pleasant, and I didn't feel uncomfortable around them as a whole.

I do remember that I attracted a lot of attention, mainly due to my eye color--I have blue eyes, most of the locals had dark eyes. It wasn't *bad*, but it was....interesting, I guess, to suddenly realize that something about you that's commonplace where you're from garners a lot of attention elsewhere.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:02 AM

1,704 posts, read 749,375 times
I'm African-American. I have lived with both majority black and majority white on several different occasions. I've lived in an area where the majority of whites were poor, mostly uneduated, and prejudice. That indeed was no fun and quite daunting at times, due to the constant in-your-face hatred demonstrated via racism.

I also remember spending a portion of my childhood living in the poor Outwaite Projects of Cleveland, Ohio. That too was quite a daunting experience, due to the overwhelming presence of aggression, intimidation, and violence.

OTOH

I've had white housemates and roommates in college and absolutely loved every minute of it. We argued, debated, partied, and sometimes studied together.

I currently live in a racially mixed community where getting along with your neighbor pretty much depends upon your ability to take care of your property and NOT disturb others...

I do thoroughly enjoy both of my neighbors. The crazy black lunatic lawyer to the east and my insanely obsessive white civil engineering neighbor to the west.

We all have mutual respect for one another and enjoy each other's company...

Old 06-06-2018, 09:08 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
This is already always the case with me, given that I'm very mixed and don't fit neatly into any box.

Spoiler alert: It's never been an issue. Racial hang-ups are overrated.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:26 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Living most of my life in the burbs of St Louis, I have always been surrounded by people of all colors. I'm used to diversity.

It helps me understand why so many rural voters who support Trump's hatred against Mexicans and Muslims. "Trump America," which is small town, rural America, is made up of mostly white people. They're not used to being around Mexicans, Muslims, and probably not many black people, so no wonder they don't like that these people are coming into our country and "taking over."

They're ignorant, but being from small towns their whole lives, you can't really expect them to be open-minded. They weren't fortunate enough to grow up around diversity the way some of us did.
You sure do sound like you're full of hate and ignorance to me.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:42 AM

482 posts, read 242,369 times
Depends on what the majority race or ethnicity was to be quite honest.

I'm Hispanic and would only live in an English speaking white majority area if only 10% of the population was Hispanic. I have nothing against Asian people or foreign whites, but I feel that they're far more tight knit. I've worked with many Asians and Eastern Europeans in the past, and they really seem to stick together. I would never live in a majority black area because of the crime. I'm sure there are majority black areas that aren't bad places, but as someone that grew up in Southern CA, I've never seen one personally.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:50 PM

725 posts, read 805,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Living most of my life in the burbs of St Louis, I have always been surrounded by people of all colors. I'm used to diversity.

It helps me understand why so many rural voters who support Trump's hatred against Mexicans and Muslims. "Trump America," which is small town, rural America, is made up of mostly white people. They're not used to being around Mexicans, Muslims, and probably not many black people, so no wonder they don't like that these people are coming into our country and "taking over."

They're ignorant, but being from small towns their whole lives, you can't really expect them to be open-minded. They weren't fortunate enough to grow up around diversity the way some of us did.

The reason many rural voters don’t want non white mexicans and Arabs moving into their towns is because they don’t want the high levels of violence, crime, low standards and poverty brought along by those people. Liberals in cities live in safe neighborhoods and go to safe schools so they trivialize the effects of illegal and other immigration. Liberals take on the cause of the illegals without being affected by it. People in smaller towns and suburbs however suffer direct consequences as a result of illegal immigration and can’t get away from it because they don’t have the money to send their kids to private schools and live in expensive communities.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:27 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
The reason many rural voters don’t want non white mexicans and Arabs moving into their towns is because they don’t want the high levels of violence, crime, low standards and poverty brought along by those people. Liberals in cities live in safe neighborhoods and go to safe schools so they trivialize the effects of illegal and other immigration. Liberals take on the cause of the illegals without being affected by it. People in smaller towns and suburbs however suffer direct consequences as a result of illegal immigration and can’t get away from it because they don’t have the money to send their kids to private schools and live in expensive communities.
Explain many areas of Appalachia. Alot of rural poverty, alot of drug related crime, very poor schools, high rates of drug use and welfare receipt. These are often areas that don't have Mexicans, Blacks, or Arabs living in them. Mostly Whites.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:33 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,609 times
I am more interested in the crime rates in a locality than I am in the demographics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies