Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 12:10 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Is this about adoption or foister care really two different things. Foster care has mostly to do with oplder children that are hard to place in adoption because of problem they have. Adoption of younger children is in big demand but harder to qualify for.
And time consuming. I just spent over 2 years adopting two children. Its not that there is not foster parents available, its that the qualification process takes so dam long..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
I am a big supporter of states rights but this measurre has caused me to take notice of a disappointing trend regarding it. The only time you hear people really advocating states rights is on hotly debated issues where states rights are usually used in support of a measure banning or against something.

Whether it passed out of fear or to build protections against gay marriage and or rights doesn't matter much to me. I have no respect for people that vote out of fear which this country has a long history of doing and even less respect for those try to define what is acceptable to be family as this does. If you're not married, gay or straight, you can't adopt. That's sad.
See your thought process is wrong. Not everyone disagrees with the left out of fear.. Some have legit conserns and if your not able to understand their conserns, then there is fat chance in heck that they are willing to see your side of it..

Sad, sure, but thats their right.. And I can say this as an unmarried individual who just adopted. I would have moved to adopt, thats my right..

Old 11-05-2008, 12:19 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
See your thought process is wrong. Not everyone disagrees with the left out of fear.. Some have legit conserns and if your not able to understand their conserns, then there is fat chance in heck that they are willing to see your side of it..

Sad, sure, but thats their right.. And I can say this as an unmarried individual who just adopted. I would have moved to adopt, thats my right..
I disagree that it's wrong and I'll explain why. My commenting about voting out of fear was in response to what I've seen DC at the Ridge say about why it passed as a member of that state. To me it's not about disagreeing with left or right. I take this kind of thing on a issue by issue basis, not which party believes what.

Understanding a person's concerns (them doing this out of fear) does not mean I then understand passing a limiting law based on that same fear. Again this is all in reference to an interpretation of why it passed. Legitimate concerns that are valid are one thing. You then put your fear on hold to come up with a law that addresses that actual concern not a broad sweeping restriction that doesn't have much basis as far as statistics of what group does what to whom are concerned. The Patriot Act comes to mind. Fear and need caused it to go from a a potentially good measure to one that was wide open to stomp all over everyone's rights and most importantly the Constitution.

I too would have moved to adopt or so I say. I'm not sure. On the surface I say yes but it might be harder to do in actuality. Should we really have to make that choice anyway? Family or state?

Old 11-05-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
I disagree that it's wrong and I'll explain why. My commenting about voting out of fear was in response to what I've seen DC at the Ridge say about why it passed as a member of that state. To me it's not about disagreeing with left or right. I take this kind of thing on a issue by issue basis, not which party believes what.

Understanding a person's concerns (them doing this out of fear) does not mean I then understand passing a limiting law based on that same fear. Again this is all in reference to an interpretation of why it passed. Legitimate concerns that are valid are one thing. You then put your fear on hold to come up with a law that addresses that actual concern not a broad sweeping restriction that doesn't have much basis as far as statistics of what group does what to whom are concerned. The Patriot Act comes to mind. Fear and need caused it to go from a a potentially good measure to one that was wide open to stomp all over everyone's rights and most importantly the Constitution.

I too would have moved to adopt or so I say. I'm not sure. On the surface I say yes but it might be harder to do in actuality. Should we really have to make that choice anyway? Family or state?
You see, in your posting your stated everything that makes this country great. I'm allowed to disagree with you because your "gay", or because I dont think that "gays" or single people should adopt. I dont have to like you because I seen you pick your nose, or because I dont like the color of your hair. Many here on the left had no problem criticizing McCain for being old, Palin for being Palin, and not only was that fine and dandy with the left, it became cool to criticize them for being who they are. Are you saying its ok to criticize how conservatives think but your thoughts and beliefs are not open to be questioned?

Should you have to make a choice? Absolutely, why would you not? Hundreds of thousands died during the Civil War to make sure that you had the right to choose. That is what this country is about. Choices, and the freedom to choose.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:37 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
You see, in your posting your stated everything that makes this country great. I'm allowed to disagree with you because your "gay", or because I dont think that "gays" or single people should adopt. I dont have to like you because I seen you pick your nose, or because I dont like the color of your hair. Many here on the left had no problem criticizing McCain for being old, Palin for being Palin, and not only was that fine and dandy with the left, it became cool to criticize them for being who they are. Are you saying its ok to criticize how conservatives think but your thoughts and beliefs are not open to be questioned?

Should you have to make a choice? Absolutely, why would you not? Hundreds of thousands died during the Civil War to make sure that you had the right to choose. That is what this country is about. Choices, and the freedom to choose.
Sooo....why don't I have the freedom to CHOOSE to marry another woman in the United States and have that be recognized on the state AND federal level?

I am all for people having choices, which is why I am pro choice and pro same-sex marriage, to name a few.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Sooo....why don't I have the freedom to CHOOSE to marry another woman in the United States and have that be recognized on the state AND federal level?

I am all for people having choices, which is why I am pro choice and pro same-sex marriage, to name a few.
Sure you do, you have every right to move to a state that recognizes gay marriages. Federal government should have NO involvement in issues like this. Thats been my whole point throught this whole election process. Hundreds of thousands died during the civil war to make sure the federal government had no involvement in state issues.

The federal government has put themself in the middle of so many issues that they have no authority getting involved in. Funding for most roads, schools, etc are just two examples, why should they be involved with gay issues?

Old 11-05-2008, 12:45 PM

If people keep voting for federal involvement in their lives, you cant come back and be surprised when they actually get involved and limit your rights, thats what governments due. Gay issues, gay adoption issues are just a good example. Liberals have been screaming for federal involvement in our lives for so long, that when the government over step their federal authorization, you cant sit back and act surprised.

You want rights to marry gays, adopt, color your hair purple, walk around with your pants below your knees, (or whatever) then stop asking for federal regulations in our lives and start asking for state rights. Until liberals (and yes, conservatives) stop seeking regulations for x, y, z, on a federal level, and start seeking regulations on a state level where it belongs, it will never stop and your rights to marry (or adopt) will never truly be "free" and always open to be attacked.

Think of it mathmatically.
You want to adopt and your gay, its so much easier to convince the state that you should be allowed then people on the other side of the country, after all, they live more like you do and have the same thoughts then someone who is a bible thumping religious right wing zelious who objects to your life out of principle (or fear)..

Old 11-05-2008, 12:48 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,416 times
Quote:

While I agree it is the differences that make this country great I will always have a problem with people using those differences to limit the freedoms of one group or another. To me that has nothing to do with gay or straight, married or single. It's the Constitutionalist in me I suppose. They were so careful to clearly make sure freedoms were spelled out while giving rights that when we move to restrict them I am bothered be it on the issue of guns or adoption, state or federal.

I do agree the states have the right to do what they want to as long as it doesn't violate federal law. Truthfully, I'm kind of tired of the whole issue and equally tired of all the moves in various states to try and protect marriage whether that is the whole reason or not (fear of what happened there being the other). In that way I'll be glad when SCOTUS finally man's up and takes one of the cases then decides one way or another once and for all just so all the little measures can stop. On issues like this, it is going to have to go to the federal level at some point in part due to the whole taxes issue regarding gay marriage in Mass for instance, which the Feds don't recognize even if the state does. Thank you DOMA.

And before anyone says anything, no, them deciding on the issue would not be legislating from the bench. Bad Bush for giving people that go to line.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:49 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Sure you do, you have every right to move to a state that recognizes gay marriages. Federal government should have NO involvement in issues like this. Thats been my whole point throught this whole election process. Hundreds of thousands died during the civil war to make sure the federal government had no involvement in state issues.

The federal government has put themself in the middle of so many issues that they have no authority getting involved in. Funding for most roads, schools, etc are just two examples, why should they be involved with gay issues?

Hmmmm...okay.

I know I can't meet some woman in Brazil and bring her back to the U.S. and marry her...but I know if a guy met a woman in Brazil, wanted to marry her...it would be no big deal. She would get citizenship and all that.

How do you resolve issues like that?

I personally don't think the government should be in the business of regulating marriage between two consenting adults.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:52 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Hmmmm...okay.

I know I can't meet some woman in Brazil and bring her back to the U.S. and marry her...but I know if a guy met a woman in Brazil, wanted to marry her...it would be no big deal. She would get citizenship and all that.

How do you resolve issues like that?

I personally don't think the government should be in the business of regulating marriage between two consenting adults.
To the best of my knowledge, citizenship is not automatically granted to foreignborn spouses in the US anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies