Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 01:19 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

The UN Declaration is not the law of the land in any country, and no country is obliged to change their own laws to conform with it, which is a good thing because the US could (and would) veto any country's laws, if that were the case.

Second, the Bill of Rights is no longer the law of the land in this country, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 01:24 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times
Ah you mean trade the Bill of Rights for a tracking device embedded in your arm??? I prefer the right to bear arms.

http://www.oilempire.us/graphics/chip.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-06-2008, 05:53 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
Im surprised that none of the u-ber left thinkers on CD have not said yes to the UN. they so hate the bill of rights, heck they figure the constitution should be rewritten for more modern times. We should have kicked the UN out of this country years ago. maybe some lefties would go too.
Everybody that voted for Obama has already said yes.

Personally I think we should distance ourselves from the UN & the concept of globalization as far as possible. Damn near every major issue we are dealing with in the US today is a result of appeasing & trying to move towards a global society. Add to that that they let any pissant dictatorship in that wants in. Its pretty much a worthless body of greedy pigs that want want want but give nothing back.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:00 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The UN Declaration is not the law of the land in any country, and no country is obliged to change their own laws to conform with it, which is a good thing because the US could (and would) veto any country's laws, if that were the case.

Second, the Bill of Rights is no longer the law of the land in this country, either.
Thanks to liberal Democrats & liberal Republicans.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:14 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
thanks for the replies so far.Let me cut to the chase.I am mainly directing this thread to the happy Obama voters.The Democratic party has a history of appeasement to the UN,willing to sacrifice American personal liberty to satisfy others in the world.
Oh, foolish me and I was thinking that this was actually a post to discuss a very interesting issue not just another stupid trolling exercise.

So, be it.

Democratic Party appeasement to the UN... hmmm.

The US has veto one UN Resolution or another, 70 times during the 20th Century.

There were 20 under the Carter administration, and 3 from Clinton for a grand total of 23. That's about 1/3rd of the total. Considering that the first US veto wasn't cast until 1972 and Republicans controlled the White House for all but 12 years of that time, I think one would be hard pressed to make an empirical argument supporting Democratic appeasement.

30 Years Of U.S. UN Vetoes.

Sorry that you took a good idea for a discussion and turned into just another brainless pissing match.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:38 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
No. We need to get out now.

Eye on the UN

Old 12-06-2008, 08:45 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh, foolish me and I was thinking that this was actually a post to discuss a very interesting issue not just another stupid trolling exercise.

So, be it.

Democratic Party appeasement to the UN... hmmm.

The US has veto one UN Resolution or another, 70 times during the 20th Century.

There were 20 under the Carter administration, and 3 from Clinton for a grand total of 23. That's about 1/3rd of the total. Considering that the first US veto wasn't cast until 1972 and Republicans controlled the White House for all but 12 years of that time, I think one would be hard pressed to make an empirical argument supporting Democratic appeasement.

30 Years Of U.S. UN Vetoes.

Sorry that you took a good idea for a discussion and turned into just another brainless pissing match.
We can take it any direction we want to.At the time I posted this right after the election many happy Obama posters were spreading the word that the "world likes us again now".So if that is their main concern,then the question is how far are you willing to go just to make sure the world likes Americans?

There are those that see people as people,not by country and have the idea that one world rule of law should be for everybody,and the UN is their tool for doing so.There have been attempts by those at the UN before to make international law above American law even to American citizens.

Yes the current Repubs did a bad job in international affairs,but on the other hand many Dems of the past have been willing to bypass the Bill of Rights to be more in harmony with the world,a false harmony.

Here is but one example
UN Gun Debate

Old 12-06-2008, 05:15 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
We can take it any direction we want to.
If that is the case then drop the sophistry such as:

"Obama posters were spreading the word that the "world likes us again now"."

"So if that is their main concern,then the question is how far are you willing to go just to make sure the world likes Americans?"

"There are those that see people as people,not by country and have the idea that one world rule of law should be for everybody,and the UN is their tool for doing so. There have been attempts by those at the UN before to make international law above American law even to American citizens."

I can't deal with amorphous claims about unspecified people, unidentified ideas, or specific instances where the UN has been used as a tool to whatever end you claim.

Being specific, with substantiation, is the marked difference between a discussion, a rant or a troll. So far you have only met the former to criteria.

Frankly, at the beginning of the thread, I was going to say that the only significant difference between the UN's Declaration of Human Rights and the the Bill of Rights in the U.S. Constitution is that the former needed an editor, its needlessly wordy. Other than that, the two very closely mirror each other. The difference is that the UN Declaration spells out those specific rights that essentially took the US Supreme Court 200 plus years to translate into law.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:19 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No, they ignore the most important right: to keep and bear arms in order to protect against tyranny. The UN represents governments (mostly dictators), not the people.
Exactly...they make it sound like its for you but its really for them... they give you everything that is already here... and take away everything you need to defend it... its like saying... hey you got a penny in your pant's pockets... I hereby give you the authority to have that penny in your pocket and will protect it against other people... I allow you to trade that penny for its full worth... sounds good huh but how is it different from what I have now? Then you forget to read that the government may at any time, take your pants away (which incidentally has your penny)... which they left purposely off... I may defend your pocket, but I won't defend your pants... The U.N. is as worthless as its upper class oligarchs...

Old 12-06-2008, 05:30 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
read the UN declaration,then please tell me why so many countries who are members of the UN deny to their citizens alot of what is stated as "rights" in the UN declaration?

The UN at times have attempted to make America lessen it's Bill of Rights in order to become more in harmony with the rest of the world.Why?

Universal Declaration of Human Rights

mods make this a yes or no poll please.

no way, the un can go to hell 1st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies