Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 05:17 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I think a lot of it is due to the fact that many gay black men are compelled to conduct their relationships on the "down low" due to long-standing prejudices within their community. Their lack of exposure to everyday straight blacks just keeps the cycle of ignorance going. It has been the willingness and ability of many white gay people to be open that has changed a lot of minds in the straight white world toward the direction of progress.

It's all about levels of exposure and eliminating fear of the unknown.
IMHO whites are just as tough about it than blacks; depending on where you live your opinion will differ. If you live in NYC you may say whites are more open to it. If you head down south or Mid West you will say blacks are a lot more open.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:29 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
I am sorry but people sound very foolish comparing the rights of homosexuals to that of blacks. It is almost if you are piggy-backing off of our movement!! To me I have no prob if they get married but some people are coming down too hard on blacks for this!!
why is this foolish??

both groups have been discriminated against due to factors they can't change (race and sexuality-yes, I believe people are born gay or straight, it's not a choice), both groups are/have seeking/sought rights granted others (whites and straights, receptively). hell, we can even lump in the women's rights movement, though they were mainly fighting for the right to vote. whatever you call it, civil rights, gay rights, or women's rights, it's all the same: a group of people seeking rights denied to them by the majoirty

I'm black, and I don't get how a group historically discriminated against, that have fought against laws so they can marry someone of a different race, can just go around and discriminate against another large group of people and deny them their own rights, all under the misbegotten veil of religion. yes, blacks, even the "immoral" ones (ie, the ones that have premarital sex, do drugs, and kill others, etc), do lean heavily on the Bible (evne the ganbangers go to church in some areas!).

plus, gay blacks are very much on the down low, and don't have any major role models to look up to. off the top of my head, I can't think of any nationally know, openly gay blacks. I think even the successful gay blacks are forced to keep it on the down low to save face (hell, just look up the history of the term "down low"). most blacks association w/ gays from the stereotype of the flamboyant, gay black hair dresser

Old 11-06-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
why is this foolish??

both groups have been discriminated against due to factors they can't change (race and sexuality-yes, I believe people are born gay or straight, it's not a choice), both groups are/have seeking/sought rights granted others (whites and straights, receptively). hell, we can even lump in the women's rights movement, though they were mainly fighting for the right to vote. whatever you call it, civil rights, gay rights, or women's rights, it's all the same: a group of people seeking rights denied to them by the majoirty

I'm black, and I don't get how a group historically discriminated against, that have fought against laws so they can marry someone of a different race, can just go around and discriminate against another large group of people and deny them their own rights, all under the misbegotten veil of religion. yes, blacks, even the "immoral" ones (ie, the ones that have premarital sex, do drugs, and kill others, etc), do lean heavily on the Bible (evne the ganbangers go to church in some areas!).

plus, gay blacks are very much on the down low, and don't have any major role models to look up to. off the top of my head, I can't think of any nationally know, openly gay blacks. I think even the successful gay blacks are forced to keep it on the down low to save face (hell, just look up the history of the term "down low"). most blacks association w/ gays from the stereotype of the flamboyant, gay black hair dresser
All I have to say is 400 years of oppression, forced hard labor, and restrictions where you could live.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:43 PM

62 posts, read 323,003 times
Blacks have become a bit worried about their #1 oppresed minority status. The gays are making them nervious with all the attention they have been getting lately. They're not allies. They are in competion.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:44 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,379 times
Quote:
All I have to say is 400 years of oppression, forced hard labor, and restrictions where you could live.
Yes it was bad for blacks during those 400 years, but during those 400 years, and way before that, if you were gay, you will probably be arrested, severely punished, and kill and never have any freedoms at all. Gays live in fear in those 400 years aswell, even some of them still live in fear today.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:20 PM

7,924 posts, read 9,147,374 times
Because it is human nature to discriminate, even by those who are discriminated against. Makes you feel more powerful/important.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:30 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Osborne View Post
Blacks have become a bit worried about their #1 oppresed minority status. The gays are making them nervious with all the attention they have been getting lately. They're not allies. They are in competion.
Then explain how homophobia is prevalent in a lot of African and Afro-Carribean countries.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:51 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,647 times
Quote:
Has there ever been a place in human history where it was illegal to be black? I don't think so. Could you be put to death by your government for just being black? I don't think so.

I'm in no way condoning what happened to blacks, the way they were treated was just inhumane and horrible. But I do believe the blacks that are being hypocritical have forgotten their routes. (I'm not lumping all black people into this group, I have some great female friends that are black or half black that support gays and lesbians all the way, and I love them for it )

Old 11-06-2008, 08:53 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,221 times
Quote:
I am sorry but people sound very foolish comparing the rights of homosexuals to that of blacks. It is almost if you are piggy-backing off of our movement!! To me I have no prob if they get married but some people are coming down too hard on blacks for this!!
Eh, as a black lesbian...I didn't choose to be a lesbian nor did I choose to be black...

I think in some ways the GLBT movement and the civil rights movement of African Americans have some similarities.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Eh, as a black lesbian...I didn't choose to be a lesbian nor did I choose to be black...

I think in some ways the GLBT movement and the civil rights movement of African Americans have some similarities.
Well let me say this, people are trying to blame this on African Americans.....when in reality it was MAINLY whites who did this bill in....we all know many people will throw the blame on US any chance they get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies