Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:55 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,595 times

Advertisements

Wajahat Ali: When safety overrides freedom, Muslim Americans suffer | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 07:54 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,495 times

Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
The same thing could have probably happened with Greyhound passengers whats the point of the advertising.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:15 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Didn't we have a thread on the forum very recently about "White Flight"?...is this related to that?

Haven't gotten into the details, but this APPEARS to be a post about Muslims...that's not the same as "brown", and it would be a disservice to EITHER group to assume the two terms were interchangeable.

It DOES work, though, to draw in your readership....after all, I looked !!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:47 AM

998 posts, read 1,332,349 times
Muslims can live with it Lulu..though mcmeal is right..Islam does not equate to 'brown' Islam is a universal religion...

Old 01-07-2009, 09:05 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Muslims can live with it Lulu..though mcmeal is right..Islam does not equate to 'brown' Islam is a universal religion...
Which underlines the silliness of trying to profile Muslims based upon ethnic characteristics. While folks are worried about the brown skinned "Muslim" a blue eyed Islamic terrorist with an AC/DC t-shirt might be planting the next bomb.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:11 AM

998 posts, read 1,332,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Which underlines the silliness of trying to profile Muslims based upon ethnic characteristics. While folks are worried about the brown skinned "Muslim" a blue eyed Islamic terrorist with an AC/DC t-shirt might be planting the next bomb.
Oh Gosh...Timothy McVie was a muslim???

Old 01-07-2009, 09:12 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,595 times
Look at the article--it's their title. I didn't make it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Didn't we have a thread on the forum very recently about "White Flight"?...is this related to that?

Haven't gotten into the details, but this APPEARS to be a post about Muslims...that's not the same as "brown", and it would be a disservice to EITHER group to assume the two terms were interchangeable.

It DOES work, though, to draw in your readership....after all, I looked !!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:01 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
Look at the article--it's their title. I didn't make it up.
I read the article....it makes an interesting "pitch", and raises a few questions. Sorry, though, it doesn't come up with anything too shocking.

WE live in a hugely diverse country, in a hugely restive and unsettled world. A certain deadly, nearly impossible to pinpoint "threat" is coming from a certain "identifiable group". That group isn't a race nor a color (my wife is as brown as the 'victims'). The group is a religion, seemingly at odds with MOST of its neighbors throughout most of the world, and whose peaceful, non-violent majority seems unwilling, or unable, to separate itself from the murderous killers in its midst. Many of the 'normal' members of this group have expressed sympathy or 'understanding' with the killers.

That's the situation, and I for one don't know what we can do about it. There is NO solution that I can think of that will please everybody, that's for sure. I DO know that 'wearing Muslim garb" IS an elective thing.....and I think THIS is what gets these folks the attention, not their "skin color".

We live in an imperfect world. A decent Muslim family SHOULD be able to dress any way they choose, get onto a plane, and be left alone, just like anyone else. 97% of the time, that's exactly what happens, and we don't hear about it. Occasionally someone overreacts, and we DO....and thus, we're having this discussion.

Your article mentions "trading freedom for security"...well, yes. ALL of us do this. NO airline passenger today is "free" from the indignities associated with the process....even going into a Court House or any Government building today involves SOME degree of being treated as a 'crimimal'. That's the world we live in....and while Muslims may not be the "cause" of this, they certainly do bear some of the blame. Sorry about that.

In a perfect world, I SHOULD be able to dress as I please, wherever I please. I SHOULD be able to get together with 5 male 'buddies', all of us don black ski-masks, and walk into a crowded bank carrying pillowcases, and we should be able to be LEFT ALONE. But it doesn't work that way. Adult males entering a bank in ski masks are going to get "looked at". They're going to get "noticed"...they may even get "talked to".

Why is that? Is it because people hate those who wear ski masks? Is it because bank customers are just "stupid" or paranoid? Or is it because we're all losing our freedom? I don't know...I just know that if you walk into a bank in a ski mask, 90% of the time you'll get 'noticed'..and once in awhile you may be 'delayed'. It's unlikely you'll be arrested, but you may get annoyed. Can't help that...I can only suggest you take off the ski mask, at least while you're in the bank.... and things may go a LITTLE better...but still, the decision is yours.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:12 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
The recent event that triggered this and other similar conversations involved a Muslim family that was removed from a plane. If one looks at all the facts of that incident, one will likely conclude, as I did, that a similar reaction would have been caused REGARDLESS of their skin color or clothing choice. During the noisy confusion of boarding the plane, another passenger heard members of this family making comments about the safety of the plane and the position of their seats relative to the engines. Having heard & understood just enough to make him wonder, but not enough to grasp the entire converstion, one of those other passengers alerted a crew member, who took some justifiable safety precautions, including removing the passengers who were overheard so they could be questioned. I suggest that if that same conversation were overheard on that same plane, in todays safety conscious atmosphere, and the speakers looked like the models in an A&F catalog, the reaction would have been remarkably similar. And I happen to think that the passenger who alerted the crew, as well as the crew who removed them, did a nice job. They were alert, they heard something susspicuous, they dealt with it. So much better than doing nothing becasue you're worried about offending someone.
It's not always about profiling & racial discrimination, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies