Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 11:57 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,188,391 times

Advertisements

Interesting article on global warming. Britain is no longer going to protect property that will eventually disappear due to global warming.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070224/ap_on_sc/threatened_coasts;_ylt=ApvY.L9zvS_OGuZjCuDXLSPMWM0 F (broken link)

Moderator cut: copyright

Do you think the USA will eventually follow the British model on this? What will happen to all that expensive coastal property here in the US?

Last edited by Marka; 12-19-2007 at 05:32 AM..

Old 02-25-2007, 07:20 AM

43 posts, read 146,609 times
I think the US will have to follow the British model of not protecting low lying areas. It would be cost prohibitive for insurance agencies and the federal government to continue to pay home owners and business owners for flooded homes and to rebuild roads and bridges which will continue to be impacted.

It will be interesting to see how long Venice, Italy is protected.

Some US insurance agencies are already bowing out of insuring some flood prone areas in the US.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:30 PM

I think the US is going to have to follow the British model too. I've read about the sand replenishment projects in Florida and how expensive they are -- and then, a few years later, the sand is gone again.

If the sea rises 30", won't Key West be under water?

Old 02-25-2007, 06:34 PM

9,895 posts, read 10,838,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I think the US is going to have to follow the British model too. I've read about the sand replenishment projects in Florida and how expensive they are -- and then, a few years later, the sand is gone again.

If the sea rises 30", won't Key West be under water?
I think that the 30" will be right after Algore gets done with his acceptance speech for best "Sience Fiction" tonight ! That is going to be alot of hot air! Key West under water, would that be bad thing? LOL

Last edited by silas777; 02-25-2007 at 07:22 PM..

Old 02-25-2007, 11:24 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,369,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
What will happen to all that expensive coastal property here in the US?
The poorer people who live inland can sell their property (if owned) to the rich people moving who want the new coastal lands. Maybe a redistribution of wealth via property transfers.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:14 AM

4,543 posts, read 6,815,947 times
The climate ebbs and flows over time. Just because we built on the coastline does not change the fact the coastline has constantly changed throughout history. This is nature. Early settlers ship captains would not live near the coast as these locations were seen as inferior and dangerous. They settled on high ground protected from the forces of nature's fury.

Our climate is getting warmer. It has in the past and will in the future. It will also get colder. It has in the past and will in the future. Weather experts can't even predict what is going to happen tomorrow with a high degree of accuracy.

As much as I like the beach I wouldn't consider ocean-front property in most popular locations because it is too costly to maintain. I prefer the mountains however, I hope my house doesn't get wiped out by a glacier moving through. Ha ha!!!!!

Old 02-26-2007, 05:23 AM

4,543 posts, read 6,815,947 times
My comments above do imply that we shouldn't be environmentally responsible. As a conservative, I truly believe that we should conserve our natural resources, limit our environmental impact when developing, and develop cleanier, less-polluting energy alternatives. I think this makes great economic sense in the long run because remediation costs, negative health effects and fossil fuel dependence limits our future competitiveness and quality of life as Americans.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:43 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,346,905 times
Oh man. In the seventies it was global cooling and another ice age. People dont get it at all. The magneto sphere is moving more and more rapidly. Shifting around. Some areas see more radiation from the sunsburts. Some areas get cloudier weather and more humidty. Destabalizing tradewinds, seasons, and wilfe life. Changing the direction ocean currents. cuasing confusion in wild life. The thing is you are going to see erratic weather patterns and seasons. Not just a warming trend. Places will also experience bitter colds and blizzards. Huge hail. Terrible super cell thunderstorms.

You need to stop with the global warming crap and realize that it isnt warming or cooling. The poles are actually getting colder. It is an erratic shapeshifting magnetospehere that can cause erratic damaging weather anywhere in the world. You will see cold and hot blending together causing problems.

We dont need to follow the British model on anything. All that ever does is cause us huge problems. If you knew more about British policy you would see that following their policy is bad news for the world. Britian is working on global bio ID chips for everyone.

Last edited by the_pines; 02-26-2007 at 05:56 AM..

Old 02-26-2007, 11:45 AM

I hope our government doesn't decide to "buy" (or pay for) those coastal lands that get swallowed by the sea. Knowing them, they'd want all the taxpayers to chip in and "help" the wealthy preserve their wealth.

Last edited by UB50; 02-26-2007 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: can't spell

Old 02-27-2007, 02:57 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,095,943 times
I read that in 50 years the sea level will rise one meter. Bye bye Florida keys and parts of south FL. Miles and miles of coastland will be new beaches. I wouldnt avoid oceanfront as long as the house is at least 15 feet above sea level
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies