Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 10:48 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,027,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
Were you not around for the past 10 years? Seriously!

Americans are NOW paying the price for the overspending and horrible choices - especially in the area of housing - over the past 10 years.

There is NO WAY that any informed person can deny that.

On the other hand, it's good for some of us. By this time next year, I plan to have bought at least 2 more houses. Maybe 3. But you can better believe that I won't be silly enough to pay $650,000 for a 2 bedroom home, or put these houses on interest only or ARM mortgages. THAT will be the difference between making a profit and losing my shirt.

Some of the real estate deals here in southwest florida are really nice. I am going to closing tommorow morning on a duplex with one tenant in since it was built in 2006 for $39,900.00. Someone elses poor investment is my gain. But let me tell you, short sells are a lot of work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 10:49 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
For all of you saying the market rise is because of Obama, may I ask how much money have you put into the market after the election?

Old 11-25-2008, 11:12 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
Increases have come after Obama's cabinet picks (commerce and economics areas) and revealing his plans for the economy. The stock market likes Mr. Obama, his picks, and his plans!

they are vying for more money from the fed. the Constitution does not allow for such a blatent of the Constitution. I hope you liberals, moderates and neo-cons are happy with the decisions being made in violation of the Constitution.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:42 AM

695 posts, read 1,377,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Some of the real estate deals here in southwest florida are really nice. I am going to closing tommorow morning on a duplex with one tenant in since it was built in 2006 for $39,900.00. Someone elses poor investment is my gain. But let me tell you, short sells are a lot of work!
Good for you!

And yes, moving (as in buying, fixing, selling, renting) houses is an ENORMOUS amount of work. I hope it works out great for you!

Old 11-25-2008, 03:26 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
For all of you saying the market rise is because of Obama, may I ask how much money have you put into the market after the election?
I have put a conservative amount of money into the market when it tanked. The last three days have seen my investment rise nicely. (Of course, my prior investments are mostly in the toilet. It will take more days like the last three for them to recover.)

Old 11-25-2008, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,771,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Wrong. Before today, the market dropped 25% since the election, in anticipation of Obama's massive tax hikes and spending plans. The market likes that Citigroup got bailed out - which happened in the last two days.
WOW,

Some of you should stop passing around what you know nothing about. From someone who has actually worked on Wall Street, this is just nonsense.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:41 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylehny View Post
WOW,

Some of you should stop passing around what you know nothing about. From someone who has actually worked on Wall Street, this is just nonsense.
You are absolutely right - but as you are new to CD - be prepared for some IQ shock - especially on financial matters.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:02 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
Were you not around for the past 10 years? Seriously!

Americans are NOW paying the price for the overspending and horrible choices - especially in the area of housing - over the past 10 years.

There is NO WAY that any informed person can deny that.

On the other hand, it's good for some of us. By this time next year, I plan to have bought at least 2 more houses. Maybe 3. But you can better believe that I won't be silly enough to pay $650,000 for a 2 bedroom home, or put these houses on interest only or ARM mortgages. THAT will be the difference between making a profit and losing my shirt.
I am not discussing that point, my involvement in this discussion is about the movement in the market from Friday until today and the positive influence that the Obama transition announcements have had on that. You want to argue a point that does have merit but is not part of my discussion. If you need to argue and feel right then find someone who disagrees with you and don't try to create a disagreement.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:04 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
No kidding....

Old 11-25-2008, 06:07 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
The market has been taking major swings for quite some time now. The correct word to describe it is violatility. Just because a stimulus has a three day positive impact does not mean it will be sustained nor does it mean it will be able to counteract negative information. However that does not mean it didn't have an impact. Knowing how violatile the market is and has been why would a wise investor make a move one way or the other based on on select stimulus that is of a daily nature? If Bush does one of his lame duckie moves on Monday should everyone sell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies