Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 05:33 PM

37,203 posts, read 19,210,527 times

Advertisements

I just cannot for the life of me understand anyone, even a severely addicted person, being so selfish and inconsiderate that they believe everyone else should hold their breath or leave if they can't deal with the ambient toxins produced when the addict gets a fix to continue his addiction and keep from hurting.

It's called "maintaining" in the parlance of street drugs, and most addicts I have known will find a place to hide when they fix. Tobacco addicts are the exception, and many times want to become confrontational about beng asked to practice their addiction in private.

No one else got you addicted but yourself, no one else is making you continue to be addicted except yourself, and no one else should be forced to participate in the addiction with you unwillingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 05:35 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
Quote:
No one else got you addicted but yourself, no one else is making you continue to be addicted except yourself, and no one else should be forced to participate in the addiction with you unwillingly.
I wonder how many drunk driving accident victims said the same thing about alcoholism?

Old 12-13-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
those same people would aslo have to make sure that no cooking utensil or pan or plate comes into contact with said allergen--or they die. seems a little more risky than getting a wisp of second hand smoke..dont you think?
Not if you are severely allergic and experience a severe reaction as a result of the exposure.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I just cannot for the life of me understand anyone, even a severely addicted person, being so selfish and inconsiderate that they believe everyone else should hold their breath or leave if they can't deal with the ambient toxins produced when the addict gets a fix to continue his addiction and keep from hurting.
How is it any different from the carbon monoxide belching out of your car destroying the ozone? Or selfish alcoholics killing people while drunk driving? Or how about the inconsiderate jerk who bathes in perfume choking everyone around them? There is plenty of blame to go around.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Not if you are severely allergic and experience a severe reaction as a result of the exposure.
Better not take the risk

Old 12-13-2008, 06:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
How is it any different from the carbon monoxide belching out of your car destroying the ozone? Or selfish alcoholics killing people while drunk driving? Or how about the inconsiderate jerk who bathes in perfume choking everyone around them? There is plenty of blame to go around.
Perfume is not a toxin (unless you drink it!).

The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke: A Report of the Surgeon General, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Old 12-13-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I wonder how many drunk driving accident victims said the same thing about alcoholism?
I am also a recovering alcoholic closing in on 23 years sobriety who was also cross-addicted (17 years of street drugs).

I was in business just before I checked into detox, and that last year I drove 30,000 miles so drunk that I had to close one eye to get the double vision to go away so I could aim down the line. The last six months I drank I killed a half gallon of Evan Williams 90 proof bourbon every day, and I could not stop. I had to drink to keep the shakes and the DTs away.

When my son was five days old I drank all but 1/2 inch of a half gallon between 4:30 and 10:00 in the morning, and I couldn't quit shaking. I knew that I was either going to get help or die, and I gave up.

I don't blame anyone but myself for anything that happened to me. I never hurt anyone when I drove, and that as well as my continued recovery is by the Grace of God. If I had, I would have expected to be prosecuted. The victims would not have been the ones at fault, nor the alcohol. I was the one out of control, even though as a full-blown addict I could not have quit on my own. The results of my actions were and are my responsibility.

Now, every morning I have a choice: to drink, or not to drink. As long as I choose not to drink, I'm OK. If I were ever to get up and choose to drink, the drink would take away my choice and I would be addicted again and pick up where I left off in 1986. I don't intend to try again. All I had left when I got out of detox were my wife and three children and a house with 20 years left on the mortgage, and I was, am and will die the luckiest and the richest man alive. The next time I might not be so lucky.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:04 PM

512 posts, read 712,712 times
Quote:
Again....I am not talking about the health aspect of the 2, but the legal aspect
What are the legal aspects then because as far as I know the only reason smoking in public places is banned is because it is harmful to other people. Please enlighten us as to what the legal aspect is if not that. You are really reaching here.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:07 PM

512 posts, read 712,712 times
Quote:
what's your point? Drunk drivers and people who smoke in public are both putting others in danger. they both suck.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:25 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
those same people would aslo have to make sure that no cooking utensil or pan or plate comes into contact with said allergen--or they die. seems a little more risky than getting a wisp of second hand smoke..dont you think?
I take it that you are a smoker and are totally oblivious to the pain you cause non-smokers who are allergic to your cigarette smoke (or just plain do not care). I'm done debating with you on this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies