Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 02:00 AM

147 posts, read 91,281 times

Advertisements

Why does it seem that Atheists target Christians and Christmas, when the bigger issue for Americans is the Fundamentalist Jews and Muslims in the Middle East and our involvement there?

Wouldn't ending the wars, and stopping financial aid to a Religious/racist state like Israel be a higher purpose?

Old 12-16-2008, 05:23 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Do you have anything to say that isn't some form of bigotry or other?

Old 12-16-2008, 05:46 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachytree View Post
Why does it seem that Atheists target Christians and Christmas, when the bigger issue for Americans is the Fundamentalist Jews and Muslims in the Middle East and our involvement there?

Wouldn't ending the wars, and stopping financial aid to a Religious/racist state like Israel be a higher purpose?
I'd love to stop all aid to Israel. However, the problem of Israeli-U.S. entanglement, has much more to do with fundamentalist Christians, and much less to do with fundamentalist Jews and fundamentalist Muslims, than your post lets on.

Plenty of the most fanatical Zionists in the United States are Christian. Plenty of Israelis and Arabs fighting each other are secular.

So no, if anything, count that as one more reason I dislike the American version of Christianity.

ETA: The war on Christmas is a myth. Atheists only object to overtly religious observances of Christmas, and then only when it's on the taxpayer's dime.

Last edited by djacques; 12-16-2008 at 06:22 AM..

Old 12-16-2008, 05:57 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times
I'm an atheist, but my opposition to the our involvement in the Middle East has nothing to do with religion. If it were a majority atheist country, I'd still oppose it. I don't believe that our country should try to police the world. I believe in non-intervention.

By the way, the roots of Christmas aren't Christian at all. It came from winter festivals made by pagans. The church was afraid of losing people, so they began celebrating this as well. Not only that, but accepting it as the birthday of Jesus (although historians say this date is incorrect). Christmas isn't really a Christian or religious holiday. More like American tradition.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:23 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
ITA 100% haaziq.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:57 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times
[quote=Peachytree;6579651]Why does it seem that Atheists target Christians and Christmas, when the bigger issue for Americans is the Fundamentalist Jews and Muslims in the Middle East and our involvement there?
quote]
Your premise is wrong. Actually, it is the Christians who target atheists by constantly trying to break the wall between church and state. Here is a good read (http://www.theocracywatch.org/) of how the fundies are weakening the constitution. Also, when Christians here say god, they mean Jesus, not the god of other religions. Please stop acting as the persecuted -I am sure Jesus (not Fox news) would want you to.

Last edited by calmdude; 12-16-2008 at 07:22 AM..

Old 12-16-2008, 10:53 AM

If we believe in Separation of Synagogue & State, then how can we support US taxes going to a "jewish" religious state?

I'm also suggesting that fighting this, and ending the Wars for Israel, might be a better and higher purpose for Atheists in helping America and its values, then targeting Christmas. Wouldn't ending trillion dollar expenditures in support of a Religious State (Israel) and Fundamentalist Jews make more of an impact for America?

Old 12-16-2008, 11:04 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Why are you so obsessed with Jews?

Old 12-16-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Why are you so obsessed with Jews?
This is a roundabout way for me to determine if Atheists really care about Separation of Synagogue and State, or whether they are just obsessed with Christians.

I actually want to know why American atheists would support fighting "Christmas" holiday over something much more salient to America: ending trillion US dollar expenditures for a Religious/Racist state and stopping US involvement in Fundamentalist Jewish/Muslim wars and conflict. Likudists are Fundamentalist Jews and many of them worked directly for Bush and Cheney.

I personally think that so many American Jews are "leaders" of so-called Atheism, as cover for Christian-hate, that crossing the line between Synagogue & State with our government, taxes, and military will never be on the table to be resceinded.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:11 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachytree View Post
This is a roundabout way for me to determine if Atheists really care about Separation of Synagogue/Church and State, or whether they are just obsessed with Christians.

I actually want to know why American atheists would support fighting "Christmas" over ending trillion US dollar expenditures for a Religious/Racist state.

I personally think that so many American Jews are "leaders" of so-called Atheism, as cover for Christian-hate, that crossing the line between Synagogue & State with our government, taxes, and military will never be on the table to be resceinded.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies