Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Equal Opportunity a Good Thing or a Bad Thing?
It weakens corporate America and should be abolished 8 50.00%
It needs to remain and have changes made 3 18.75%
Undecided 0 0%
It is needed to have a more diverse workplace 1 6.25%
It is necessary to avoid racial inequality in the workplace 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 05:32 AM

409 posts, read 1,237,320 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about the Equal Opportunity system?

Have you been impacted by it?

Old 03-02-2007, 06:41 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
If you mean Affirmative Action and racial/gender quotas, then I voted correctly.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:45 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,424,208 times
I think it is a necessary evil. While it would be wonderful if people were hired based on their skills, experience, and education, it just doesn’t happen. Just look at this board alone and you will see there are a lot of racist and sexist people out there.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:44 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,176,024 times
I'm looking forward to the day when minority job candidates don't have to worry about fairness...
...when women can choose to pursue a career without the stigma of raising children - or not doing so - being a factor in their advancement potential...
...and when men are free to choose to share more equally in those childrearing responsibilities, even if it means an adjustment in their own lifestyles and careers.

Until then, I believe equal opportunity programs and policies are necessary... else we continue to live in a society where women are still encouraged to stay home and lower-to-middle class citizens of all ethnicities fight over an increasingly smaller slice of the economic pie.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:03 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,478,778 times
As a former federal contractor, I saw the EOE system in action. I think it is total garbage.

I never really liked the idea in the first place: hiring non-whites over whites for the sake of diversity. But in practice, whites and non-whites were held to different professional and behavioral standards once in the workplace. In other words, white males meeting the 'bare minimum' standards were fired, whereas non-white males (specifically females and blacks) who met the 'bare minimum' standards were retained.

The workplace had about 40 contractors, and was roughly 50/50 white/nonwhite. I came in with a 'new crop' of about 10 employees, about 50/50 white/nonwhite. In the year that I worked, out of about 5 or 6 new hires, all were nonwhite. Out of 4 fires, only 1 was nonwhite.

Needless to say, this racial preference system places the idea of "Getting the job done right" as a second or third priority behind "Hiring minorities", which I have a problem with. I don't know how the system is supposed to work, but this is how it does work, in my experience.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:49 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,476,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
As a former federal contractor, I saw the EOE system in action. I think it is total garbage.

I never really liked the idea in the first place: hiring non-whites over whites for the sake of diversity. But in practice, whites and non-whites were held to different professional and behavioral standards once in the workplace. In other words, white males meeting the 'bare minimum' standards were fired, whereas non-white males (specifically females and blacks) who met the 'bare minimum' standards were retained.

The workplace had about 40 contractors, and was roughly 50/50 white/nonwhite. I came in with a 'new crop' of about 10 employees, about 50/50 white/nonwhite. In the year that I worked, out of about 5 or 6 new hires, all were nonwhite. Out of 4 fires, only 1 was nonwhite.

Needless to say, this racial preference system places the idea of "Getting the job done right" as a second or third priority behind "Hiring minorities", which I have a problem with. I don't know how the system is supposed to work, but this is how it does work, in my experience.
I too have been on many jobs that have to meet A/A Quotes and To be honest. THEY SUCK. The Minority regardless of race of gender is 90% of the time LAZY due to they know it takes an act of Congress to get ride of them. ( No pun intended ) I For one think it should be Qualifications to get hired not Race or Sex. If your lazy your fired is as it should be. But not with this program. If your lazy your hired. OH a minority. We have to hire this one due to the feds. Even if he / she is worthless. I take the most qualified who will accept the least amount of pay if I get 2 that are equally qualified. Other wise I take the most qualified. I don't care what color /race / gender/ or creed. You make the cut your in. If you don't your not. Screw the feds I just wont bid on any Federal jobs.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:18 AM

355 posts, read 842,774 times
Ninety percent of minority laborers are lazy. I wasn't aware of this.

Thank you, Nhyrnut, for imparting your knowledge to the rest of us folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies