Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the judge right for jailing the woman because she would not take off her head scarf
Yes 52 49.52%
No 52 49.52%
I am not sure 1 0.95%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:19 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Ga. judge jails Muslim woman over head scarf - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081218/ap_on_re_us/muslim_headscarf_arrest;_ylt=AjQ2Bluab3QN6HU7fxiiL GVs.aF4 - broken link)
I don't agree that someone who wears head gear for religious purposes should have to remove it, as long as it truly is for religious purposes. The reason however, that she was hauled before the bench and found in contempt is the fact that she cursed in the court when asked to leave.

There was a similar case where a Florida woman was denied a driver's license because she insisted on taking her license picture with her face covered. Now that is ridiculous and absurd and they were correct in denying her a license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
And that's also where the issue of the bailiff abusing his authority arises. Saying one cuss word to a man (court employee or not) outside of a courthouse as you're walking away is not a crime, contempt of court or otherwise.
Excuse me...do you know what the word "contempt" means? Cursing in a court is EXACTLY contempt of court.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:26 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Excuse me...do you know what the word "contempt" means? Cursing in a court is EXACTLY contempt of court.
Neil you missed the part where she was leaving of her own volition outside the court, muttered an expletive, then got dragged INTO the court with said headscarf on. She was leaving and they challenged her in the hallways of the courthouse. Read again.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Neil you missed the part where she was leaving of her own volition outside the court, muttered an expletive, then got dragged INTO the court with said headscarf on. She was leaving and they challenged her in the hallways of the courthouse. Read again.
Not how it was reported on the local news here....where it happened. It says in the AP report that she "turned to leave." I disagree with her being singled out, but I don't think that was the primary reason for the contempt of court.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:28 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
welcome to the liberal thinking over here. they have wanted and for the most part have gotten their wishes concerning religion and the state. if the scarf is considered a religious item, then off with it.

You just ignore the truth when it doesn't suit your agenda and blithely blather on in complete disregard for common sense and logic. I reckon you named yourself well because wrenching your monkey is exactly what you're doing here.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:30 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This jack-booted thug didn't just violate her rights, he sentenced her to jail for ten days, which used to be a recourse more or less restricted to criminals. Have you ever been in jail?
Yes I have. I actually spent more time in jail than this woman did and I was not charged with a crime. The government is out of control, we need to push for a more libertarian government across the board. When the left and right argue only for their positions they end up sacrificing half the picture. Over time this erodes everyone's liberties.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:48 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
You noticed that too, huh lucidus? I'm not libertarian but I swear some days...

Old 12-20-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
The government is out of control, we need to push for a more libertarian government across the board. When the left and right argue only for their positions they end up sacrificing half the picture. Over time this erodes everyone's liberties.
I agree completely. As long as the country continues to elect mediocre leaders such as Presidents GWB, Speaker Nancy Pelosi, many of our Senators and Congressmen, and our new Messiah-in-Chief-elect, we have no chance of getting back to that place. The electorate is uninformed, and the 24 news cycle drives good candidates out of the process.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:19 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I agree completely. As long as the country continues to elect mediocre leaders such as Presidents GWB, Speaker Nancy Pelosi, many of our Senators and Congressmen, and our new Messiah-in-Chief-elect, we have no chance of getting back to that place. The electorate is uninformed, and the 24 news cycle drives good candidates out of the process.
Yes the forth branch of government, the media, will always insure that any candidate who actually values the constitution and individual liberties of any party will be ridiculed as an un-electable kook. The right and left disagree on many issues, but one thing they always agree on is that we will have a move powerful, more intrusive, and larger federal government.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:59 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
The right and left disagree on many issues, but one thing they always agree on is that we will have a move powerful, more intrusive, and larger federal government.

Good, we need stronger central government. So local ones can't jail people for not going along with the local prejudices and inanities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies