Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 12:43 PM

241 posts, read 435,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.c...d-6e2d71db52d9

We can all agree that climate change happens and has been happening for billions of years - right? I mean, what kind of fool would expect the Earth's climate to remain the same for thousands, millions and billions of years.

Anybody, please, tell me the optimum temperature of the Earth.

A burning ball of fire!! .2 degrees in a 150 years!!
This "650 Dissenting Scientists" is widely spread throughout the conservative blogosphere, with no fact-checking: people who are global-warming skeptics leap to accept it because they want to. The fact of the matter is that very few of the 650 are

a) scientists
b) are focused on climatology

Furthermore, several have said that they have been wrongfully cited as skeptics and that the author of this article took their quotes out of context.

In other words, this is a widely spread disinformation campaign by global warming skeptics that does not stand up to analysis. There may be legitimate reasons to be skeptical about anthropogenic global warming. This, however, is not it.

Here, for example, is one of the signers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christo...n_of_Brenchley

Pretty much all of the signers can be looked up. Good luck finding many that are legitimate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
1st - It is the process, and you know that already without acknowledging it. Don't you?
The "process" of global warming is going to happen in a decade or a century...

Got it.

Quote:
2nd - I guess I'm kinda one-sided as I have no chilluns to pass anything to; accordingly, no grands or great-grands, either. Did my parents worry about their chilluns, grands and great-grands? Not from my perspective.
As for your lack of progeny, do you think that really absolves you of any responsibility? This attitude is selfish and puerile, my friend. Your parents and grandparents probably did worry about you, but didn't necessarily have the information that we have now about how their actions would affect the world you live in in now. We have that information, and to not use it wisely out of (yes) inconvenience is arrogant, selfish and self-destructive.

Quote:
This "steaming ball of crap" you so eloquently call that blue orb we all live on, well, you just told me all I need to know about your idealistic life.
Um, the ball of crap is what we'll leave my progeny because of attitudes like yours. I happen to very much like our current orb.

I'm glad you were able to see into the darkest recesses of my soul by misinterpreting what I said, though. It feels so good to be known.

Quote:
Hey, I've got the perfect solution, bar none. Let us simply wipe the surface of this 'steaming ball of crap' of humanity, with the exception, of course, of the know-it-all's, including alGore. Then some hundred or so years down the road of life, which won't exist anyway, the know-it-all's can tell the grandparents what happened.
mm-kay.

Quote:
Sarcastic? Yep. But no more than the agree-ers are accusing the deny-ers of being stoopid, naive, unejukated, or ignernt.
mmm-kay

Quote:
Reminds me of a movie, not sure, but was it Red Planet?
I have no idea.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
The Earth goes through natural warming and cooling cycles. The last "mini" ice age, the Younger Dryas, occured approximately 10,000 to 11,000 radiocarbon years ago, and lasted for approximately 1,000 years before the Earth again began to warm.

However, in the past--humans were not contributing greenhouse gasses to the natural cycle. Now we are and whatever natural processes may be in effect, they are now being magnified by the garbage that we are adding to the biosphere.

So yes, global warming is real--very real. To insist that it is not--especially at a time when the polar ice caps are melting at an alarming rate, shows a very naive outlook on reality.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:31 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
.2 degrees is insignificant.
- Where did you get the information? The source I quoted said 1.08 degree F over 30 years.
- What is your definition of significant?

Quote:
Call it what you will - The globe might be warming, although there is plenty of evidence a cooling trend has started - but that's the point.
So, you're saying that on average, there is no change. True?

Quote:
Its natural fluctuations that have been occuring for thousands of years - we just happen to conveniently notice it and try to blame man for it.
One more time: Nobody is taking natural cycle out of it. But those in denial are definitely taking out the human impact (how small or big, that is debatable).

Quote:
The warmest year on record (that is, since we have been recording) was 1934.
And this is your way of approaching science, I assume.

[qupote]Optimum temp? Anybody have an idea?[/quote]
It isn't just about optimum temperature.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:42 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
In my lifetime there has been ZERO change in the weather were I live

Also, if carbon dioxide is the reason for "Global Warming" why have temperatures cooled since 1998 while CO2 is in the atmosphere has increased by 8%???

Old 12-23-2008, 01:56 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

Also, if carbon dioxide is the reason for "Global Warming" why have temperatures cooled since 1998 while CO2 is in the atmosphere has increased by 8%???
For about 10,000 years prior to industrial age, CO2 concentration fluctuated between 260-280 ppm. Over last 250 years, however, it has gone up by almost 40% (at 387 ppm), largely a result of pollution and deforestation.

You can't focus on a year or two, or even ten to arrive at a conclusion like you just did. To see an impact, you have to have a bigger perspective.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

Because if one understands the science and statistics behind anthropogenic climate change, this is consistent with predicted data. In 1998, the El Nino effect was the strongest in the recorded history of surface temperature measurements. In other words, 1998 was a spike year.

However, there is a difference between "weather" and "climate". Weather deals in the short term variations, whereas climate focuses on trend lines over 30 year periods. The trendline has been a zig-zag in a general upward climb. 1998 was a "zag", but it doesn't alter the overall trendline.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:55 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
It was supposed to clear up and be sunny this afternoon. It is cloudy and drizzling. Predictions based on models are terrific.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:57 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
The Earth goes through natural warming and cooling cycles. The last "mini" ice age, the Younger Dryas, occured approximately 10,000 to 11,000 radiocarbon years ago, and lasted for approximately 1,000 years before the Earth again began to warm.

However, in the past--humans were not contributing greenhouse gasses to the natural cycle. Now we are and whatever natural processes may be in effect, they are now being magnified by the garbage that we are adding to the biosphere.

So yes, global warming is real--very real. To insist that it is not--especially at a time when the polar ice caps are melting at an alarming rate, shows a very naive outlook on reality.
Actually, 10,000 to 11,000 years ago there was a true ice age, not a mini ice age.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
It was supposed to clear up and be sunny this afternoon. It is cloudy and drizzling. Predictions based on models are terrific.
Irrelevant. Short term weather variations cannot be modelled like long term climactic shifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies