Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:52 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,900 times

Advertisements

What would you do if you were president of the USA??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 10:55 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,637 times
I would end the war in iraq and afganistan... and start using those funds to upgrade our schools, and rebuild our cities and many other ways of investing in our future....

Old 12-30-2008, 11:21 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,118,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I would end the war in iraq and afganistan... and start using those funds to upgrade our schools, and rebuild our cities and many other ways of investing in our future....
All of the above and do away with all of those free trade agreements. No tax breaks for the rich and the corporate America. No outsourcing of jobs and investigations into the past 8 years of corruption. Finally, full speed ahead for energy independence.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:24 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,167 times
I would make it law that all people are treated equal

I would have the law gather up all the illegals and put them back in their home countries, but not before they build us a fence. Then fully enforce immigration laws

I would disengage from some of the nations where we have troops stationed where they are not needed (like Europe)

I would fund a commitee to reform the welfare system which is very abused right now

I would reign in the out of control media on both sides

I would take steps to dismantle the 2 party system

I would raise tarrifs on foreign goods thus encouraging domestic consumption and production

I would clean house on the Fed

That is all I can think of off the top of my head, more may come to me in a few minutes.....

Old 12-30-2008, 11:27 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,872 times
If it was at all possible............FIRE CONGRESS!!!

Old 12-30-2008, 11:30 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,857 times
In regards to Immigration-I would get rid of all the benefits they get. In fact, if deportation is possible, I will deport as many as I can. They pay little to no taxes. In my eyes, I see them as leeches. Some get free health care. Some work while taking jobs away from here. They are not American. They are not helping. Instead, they are doing work that Americans should be doing for a decent wage. Now I understand that they are people who also want to be better and lead better lives but the CITIZENS come first. Until we can take of our own people, illegal immigrants will not be on my mind.

In regards to Death Penalty-Legalized. Why should we, the tax payers, pay to keep the murders and rapists alive and fed in jail? Do you know that these people also recieve health care for free? Do you know that these people usually do not feel bad for what they did. Of course, I would legalize the Death Penality BUT under certain circumstances. Someone who stole like a video game from a store is not going to get the death penality. And before anyone is put down to be killed, there will have to be evidence to prove it. If there is any case of uncertainity, then there will be no death.

In regards to Gay Marriage-Legalized. These people are also US citizens. They are also guaranteed to be happy and have the right to live like everyone else. Why is them getting married even an issue? Why did California let their voters vote on marriage? I cannot believe it. This is supposed to be a free country. It is supposed to be free to more than just Christians and Republicans. Gay marriage does not hurt anyone physically nor should it hurt anyone emotionally. Unless that person is insecure and thinks that gay marriage will hurt them, then..that is a different story!

In regards to Separation from Church and State-I would start taxing the Church if they want to continue trying to get into politics. I do not like hearing how Christians replaced the Atheists sign with the nativity scenes. Not saying that Christians have no right to put up their nativity scenes. Of course they do! But not while taking down the Atheist sign and replacing it. I do not like how they support teaching Creationism in schools. It IS religious and we are supposed to be separated from it. I do not like "Under God" in the pledge. It is evidently "Christian". Sorry to all my Christians friends out there but every religion will have their say in this administration. I completely make this equal for all religions. I do not like seeing Christian Priests on Campus saying I am damned to Hell. I do not like the fear tactics they use. They can preach to their Church or members but not to the USA as a whole. I feel that their version of morals should not be taken more seriously than any other version of morals.

In regards to abortion-I would remove all bans and restrictions on abortion. Despite the fact that I do not like the idea of abortion if you are 4 or 5 months along, it is still not the business of anyone but the woman and whoever she may choose to involve. If this country is pro choice, it is for the better. We are already in a population crises here and running out of food. Also, if we are pro choice, then we also have the choice to be pro life. I cannot ever imagine telling a rape victim that she must give birth to that child after being raped. This way, both sides should be happy. If pro lifers have an issue, then I apologize. It is none of your business what I do with my body.

In regards to economical and debt control-I would cut all the money that we sent to Israel. We give them $6 MILLION a day which equals to be $ 3 BILLION a year! Don't even get me started on Iraq and Afghanistan. The opposite party of mine (Republican) is so afraid to mention the N word. You know? NATIONAL Healthcare. You know, maybe..just MAYBE...if we spend $3 billion on (I don't know) the USA, we would be in much better shape. Never mind spending about $11 trillion (our national DEBT, by the way) on us. If we even spent $100 billion on us, we would be blooming. All foreign aid would be cut off temporaily until I could get things in order here. The only exception would be Darfur and the War on Women in Congo. Which leads too...

In regards to Darfur and the War on Women in Congo-I would send troops and military defense down there right away. They are in a HUMANITARIAN CRISES. Does that mean anything to you? That the USA is in Iraq that did not ask for help nor attacked us but NOT helping a part of the world that is in a HUMANITARIAN crises. As president, this would be TOP on my list. Before anything, comes this.

In regards to outsourcing jobs/min. wage-I would raise min wage to how inflation is going at that time. But if I were to magically become president tomorrow, I would raise it to $11.50 an hour. Why? Because it is not fair to have everything increase the way it has and still is. It is not fair to the younger group who is trying to make ends meet but cannot. How do people expect us to live on $7.40? Seriously. And hiring illegals to work for $1.37 an hour is not going to fly by like it does now. Outsourcing would be a straight up no-no. I denounce the Capitalist Free Market economy. Needless to say, we are witnessing the worst of it. The greed of corporate and capitalist America...

In regards to Health care-Social Security will be in tact while I am president. The elderly have worked hard and deserve their rest at this point in their life. But, I would also propose National Health care for children as a fact. There should NEVER EVER be a child who goes without health care in this great country. I would propose government health care for children. They would be covered by the government from birth to the age of eighteen. As for over eighteen, I would expand it to people who are going to college and working to look for a job with good benefits. You can do it. But if you are someone who does not go to college or work, then nope. Sorry, no health care for you. You are an adult now and you would know your benefits are gone at eighteen. So I hope you found a job that will give you something. And don't even tell me that "our taxes will go up if we have health care! Oh no! It will be too expensive!" After spending around $11 trillion in Iraq and Afghanistan, you know for a fact we could have got this type of health care. After giving $11 billion in bailouts, there is no excuse to not have the children of our nation covered. Taxpayers in Michigan will pay $17.4 billion for total Iraq war spending approved to date. We could have had 6.5 million people with health care.

So basically, the motto that the Republicans had used this campaign "Country First" will truly be used by me. I will truly put this country and Americans first. I would never put Iraq and Afghanistan first. I would never have illegal immigrants get health care while citizens are not covered.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:33 PM

799 posts, read 1,444,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
If it was at all possible............FIRE CONGRESS!!!

That was our job.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
i would get the best kevlar know to man and avoid public appearance.
i would fire 1/2 the current security team.
when it came time to pull out of bagdad and dismantle blackwater i would go into utter seclusion.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:40 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,286,531 times
Oh boy, do we have that much room on here?
First is find out why the money given to the wall street crowd and banks isn't being used as it was supposed to be. I suspect that as President I would be sending out a good number of arrest warrents on those crooks.
They were supposed to be loaning that money to homeowners (for refiancing)and buyers, but they are not. Where is the money? Give account or go to jail and lose everything you and your family has.

Stop using Social Security funds for everything else instead of Social Security.

Eliminate all the agencies created since 1965 except the Small Business Admin. They are all unneeded, unConstitutional, and nothing but full of power hungry clowns who need to work in the real world. Start off by laying off 10 percent every 6 months. This would give them time to be absorbed into the private sector. Yes, this includes the E.P.A. !!! Work for them awhile and you can figure out their bs game in their weekly meetings of what are we going to call a crisis this week to justify us being here even though it's not really a danger in any way? Sit in those meetings, and you can see why I have such distain for them.

Charge the same tarriff on imported products that their country charges on our products. You listening Japan? 77K for 29K Explorers comes to an end today or you ship nothing in.

Illegals will be rounded up, fingerprinted, checked to see if their fingerprints match any crimes agaisnt US Citizens,and sent home with a stern warning to their homeland and them. Don't come back. Murderers, robbers that are caught and here illegally, will face the death penalty unless full restitution to the victims families is paid and all upkeep while they are in our jail is paid by their homeland. End the bs Clinton Executive order they have to have a court trial to be sent home stupidity. I am a firm believer in catch them, ship them home within 24 hours.

Rebuild the southern fence and this time put it on the border plus get all of Az.

Lower income taxes to a flat rate for everyone. Drop it 9% every year until it is down to 7 percent. We pay the taxes we do to support all those prviously mentioned unConstitutional government agencies. Get rid of them, we can lower our taxes and pay down the National debt.

Get out of most of the countries around the world our Troops are in. WW1 and WWII was over along time ago. So was Korea. And it's been 30+ years since the other we shouldn't have been there war in vietnam. Why is our Troops still in these places? As for Iraq, make their government pay for everything instead of sitting on their oil money. Stop being so polite, lets win it and come home.

Issue the order that our Troops go anywhere that bin laden and his followers might be. If the local government don't like it, tough s*** !
Pakistan, get out of the way we are coming thru. If they hide in a mosque, it's just a building. Bombs away. I prefer a min. of Daisy Cutters and would use far more MOABs. Gets the job done in one hit instead of a maybe in a hundred hits.

Have an exit plan with complete Victory in both iraq and afgan.

I completely support Israel's defense from the hamas and fatah terrorest. I have a friend whose parents live about 18 miles from gaza, and during the truce, the only ones not firing rockets was Israel. Her families home was hit by hamas rockets during the truce. enough is enough. Go get them Israel.

I would eliminate the silly 35 mpg requirement of car companies. I don't want to drive a crackerbox on wheels barely larger than my 12 speed bicycle on the hiway. No way it can be safe. Ever seen these very high mpg cars in anything more than a minor fender bender? The dead is in them. (this why I am no longer on the local vol. fire dept. No tummy for those wrecks). I'd much rather the car companies build safe vehicles.
The market will dictate what customers want. And remove the 25 month min. time lapse it takes for car companies to put new vehicles thru gov. testing before they can market it. This is one reason why the car companies "appear" to be so slow reacting to changing customer wants and economic/ gas conditions. What you give to the gov. today to start testing for the 2012 model year will be outdated by the time you get approval to make it.

Lower the Corporate taxes from the current 35+ percent in 6 months intervals to 10 percent. Across the board. Take a good 7-8 percent off at a time. We currently are the 2nd highest taxing Nation in the world (and just barely not the worst!) of those who provide our jobs. This silliness must end to get the economy going again. Put on a condition the first year to get this benefit that production of products comes back to the US if that company is having their stuff made elsewhere.

Ok, that's the short list. Alot more I'd do right off the bat, but that's long term stuff.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:53 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,641 times
Here is a very quick poorly thought out list

1. Legalize weed and all "weak" drugs and tax the hell out of them.
2. End 90% of military operations in oversea lands, including the current "war".
3.Move to legalize gay marriage while guaranteeing a religious organizations right to refuse to perform such a ceremony.
4. Legalize prostitution and enact monitoring/tax/health enforcement laws regarding it.
5.Dismantle as many free trade agreements as economically feasible.
6. Cut back the defense budget by 10-20%
7.Reform/shrink/consolidate the department of homeland security.
8.Cut foreign aid by 50%
9.Roll back all of the executive privileges bush implemented.
10.Attempt to reform americas education system
11. There are others but its late and i am having trouble thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies