Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:36 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times

Advertisements

I think JDTD's idea is an interesting one, but I think it has to be combined with some ability to work outside the home to contribute to their own support, even if it's just burger-flipping. Otherwise you are going to only have the richest people able to sponsor anyone, and we'd end up with multi-millionaires being able to basically collect ten or twenty indentured servants, instead of re-integrating the offenders into the general community. I'm not sure that's what we want to encourage. Still, it's not a bad basis for a proposal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 11:39 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Put the prisoners to work - use the chain gang system. Make them earn their keep
I agree.
At the very least, put a bracelet around their ankle and keep them in NY. I don't want them coming to my state, do you?

Old 01-10-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
I agree.
At the very least, put a bracelet around their ankle and keep them in NY. I don't want them coming to my state, do you?
I'd happily accept a few thousand non-violent offenders in my state if we could exchange them for the same number of Republican Bible-bangers.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
.....number of Republican Bible-bangers.
What about the Democratic "Bible-Bangers" (whatever that means)?

Old 01-11-2009, 12:09 AM

339 posts, read 707,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I think JDTD's idea is an interesting one, but I think it has to be combined with some ability to work outside the home to contribute to their own support, even if it's just burger-flipping. Otherwise you are going to only have the richest people able to sponsor anyone, and we'd end up with multi-millionaires being able to basically collect ten or twenty indentured servants, instead of re-integrating the offenders into the general community. I'm not sure that's what we want to encourage. Still, it's not a bad basis for a proposal.
Okay then...work release incorporated for those who qualify. Their GPS will show if they were at work or not while they are off the home tether. It's already part of the system anyhow. They can be required to keep a log that corresponds with their "whereabouts" to be downloaded to their DOC Officer. Their DOC Officer can always call their boss and ask, "Did you send Johnny over to wherever to pick up some lumber last Thursday?" If the boss did...no problem. If they didn't, Johnny has explaining to do.

I really don't think the proposal is that unreasonable. I think it's a win-win. It puts the ball in their court. I also don't think that it will be for the rich so much. Keep in mind that a lot of people who are stealing, etc. don't have jobs anyhow. They are living "somewhere". There are tons of enabling parents out there that would take this option. Hey...many they helped create this situation with their kid. They can help pay (if they choose) when their adult kid gets out of line. It's only fair. Maybe it will give them some time to reflect on where they were and where they want to go in the future when they are at home together for a year or two.

And thanks! I think it's a win-win.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
What about the Democratic "Bible-Bangers" (whatever that means)?
They aren't my cup of tea, either. I'm not ready to deport them yet though.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:07 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
About half the people in prison are there for drugs. While I am not for drugs, putting people in prison for 10 years for marijuana is stupid and a misuse of prison space.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
About half the people in prison are there for drugs.

Do you have any reference sites for the above Kev?

Old 01-11-2009, 10:33 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Do you have any reference sites for the above Kev?
I was wrong when it comes to STATE prisons- which we are talking about here. I was thinking FEDERAL prisons where well over half the inmates are there for drug offenses. It is actually about 20% state which is still too many. Note that it is more than for property offenses which should tell you something- when a drug offender- who really is not harming me- is given more prison time than a house burglar who does harm me.

State prisons held a total of 1,296,700 inmates on all charges at yearend 2005. In absolute numbers an estimated 687,700 inmates in State prison at yearend 2005 (the latest year for which offense data is available) were held for violent offenses: 166,700 for murder, 177,900 for robbery, 129,200 for assault, and 164,600 for rape and other sexual assaults. In addition, 248,900 inmates were held for property offenses, 253,300 for drug offenses, and 98,700 for public-order offenses.

Federal prisons were estimated to hold 179,204 sentenced inmates as of Sept. 30, 2007. Of these, 15,647 were incarcerated for violent offenses, including 2,915 for homicide, 8,966 for robbery, and 3,939 for other violent crimes. In addition, 10,345 inmates were serving time for property crimes, including 504 for burglary, 7,834 for fraud, and 2,006 for other property offenses. A total of 95,446 were incarcerated for drug offenses. Also, 56,237 were incarcerated for public-order offenses, including 19,528 for immigration offenses and 24,435 for weapons offenses.
Prisons & Drug Offenders | Drug War Facts

Old 01-11-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I was wrong when it comes to STATE prisons- which we are talking about here. I was thinking FEDERAL prisons where well over half the inmates are there for drug offenses. It is actually about 20% state which is still too many.
OK, now, how many of these prisoners are in prison (long sentences) for dealing in HARD drugs - Crack, Meth, Cocaine, PCP etc???

Understand Kev - long term sentences are handed out to the dealers / distributors who more often than not are hanging around your grade schools, your high schools, trying to get your kids hooked.

Those in long term are not users Kev.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies