Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:49 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,482 times

Advertisements

(.444/.3137) is 1.415. As I said, registered Democrats outnumber registered Republicans by more than 40%. You'd have to multiply the % of registered Republicans by 40% and add it to the percentage of registered Republicans to equal the % of Registered Democrats. This is in the same sense that 14 is 40% more than 10.

Most states are in bad shape, yes. Some have balanced budgets (and tend to be more conservative states, though they are smaller). California's crisis is worse than that of most states.

While an all Democratic Government may make you (and many others) happy for whatever reasons, it is unlikely to help the financial state of California or the country. From what little I know (as an outsider), the Governator's attempts at fiscal restraint were met with strong opposition by the Democrats in the legislature and the citizens at large. I've also heard that the Dems in the legislature want to raise taxes or, at the very least, fees. Both US Senators from California receive awful ratings from advocacy groups that track spending habits (CAGW, NTU) and I doubt Solis will help as Labor secretary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 02:57 PM

870 posts, read 1,626,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Didn't you see the link I posted? There is only about a 10% difference between registered Dems & Reps, so your estimate of 40% is ridiculous - I don't think ANY state has that much of a spread!! Anyway, as a registered Democrat myself, I'm not about to complain about this being a blue state... considering I think that's one of our most redeeming characteristics. Once we get the Republican governor & president out, we'll see if things get any better. I know California is having financial troubles right now, but aren't ALL states in this country? We're a mess!

texas isn't having financial troubles........and we are a RED state. you believe that.

people will continue to call california conservative (which it isn't) as long as things are bad there. once things turn around you guys will be calling it a liberal state. that is just the way you guys are.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:59 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
so did the libs screw up california and now they are leaving or are the conservatives leaving? my bet is the libs screwed it up and now they are off to screw up other states. pooooooor colorado.

Go East, young man? Californians look for the exit - Yahoo! News (http://www.yahoo.com/s/1014709 - broken link)
The reason why people are leaving CA is because of the cost of living.. same reason why people, like myself, have left suburban NYC.. looking for abetter quality of life rather than run a rat race.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:05 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,482 times
Quote:
texas isn't having financial troubles........and we are a RED state. you believe that.

people will continue to call california conservative (which it isn't) as long as things are bad there. once things turn around you guys will be calling it a liberal state. that is just the way you guys are.
Texas has a budget surplus (of $ 10 Billion or so) despite having major problems with illegal immigration and inclement weather. Governors Perry (TX) and Sanford (SC) wrote an op-ed in the WSJ urging Obama not to bail out the states, as there is no reason for taxpayers to bail out other states they don't even live. This is going to create even more moral hazard. It seems that this bailout is basically a cart blanche and the Governors are not even coming up the the Hill to lay out a plan of how they will curb spending and use this money wisely.

I don't think the issue is blue/red conservative/liberal. The key is to focus on spending and spend as wisely as possible. If people need to be laid off or programs and services terminated then so be it. One thing I've learned from following politics so closely the past year is that the budget successes and failures start with spending. Once spending is streamlined, then lawmakers can move on to taxes, etc.

I have no problem voting for Democrats if they are fiscally responsible. Only if spending is kept low, can taxes be lowered. The CATO institute honored the (D) Gov of WV as one of their top 3 Governors (based on fiscal responsibility), so it's not just party affiliation that dictates how well an elected official manages resources.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:15 PM

382 posts, read 589,739 times
Quote:
so did the libs screw up california and now they are leaving or are the conservatives leaving? my bet is the libs screwed it up and now they are off to screw up other states. pooooooor colorado.

Go East, young man? Californians look for the exit - Yahoo! News (http://www.yahoo.com/s/1014709 - broken link)

That's a good thing. That means they'll spread to Colorado and Arizona and Texas and turn it Blue. HECK YEAH!!! GO CALI.

Also, from people that I know in the state, they take this as good news because that means less traffic and affordable housing in the future. So, I wouldn't cheer so loudly if I where you. Buddy.

p.s. I will be an educated man with a job in a few months when I move to LA LA Land. All of the Online Interactive Jobs are there. You gotta love SoCal.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:17 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
The reason why people are leaving CA is because of the cost of living.. same reason why people, like myself, have left suburban NYC.. looking for abetter quality of life rather than run a rat race.
Exactly. That's why we left California in '05. We also felt like the housing market would soon take a dive, which it did. We sold at just the right time and cashed out with enough equity to buy a nice house in Denver. A house that's gained and held its value, unlike the condo we sold in CA, which has lost nearly 50% since we sold it. I feel sorry for the people who bought it from us though.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
My friend has been chasing the California dream for the past year and a half... its an expensive endeavor indicative of his frequent returning home. Funny thing is, he is just a nomad pretty much... just surfs and skates around all day and picks up craigslist jobs when in a pinch, lives with people he meets.... all of this because he can't stand Rochester with all the guidos and violence etc.... I laugh at him because we both were at the same starting line almost 8 years ago and I have 2 years of college on him, 3 cars on him, a great job and certainly a bigger bank account, he just has to go and live it up in the land of false opportunity. You would think hes happy.... noooo he ******* and complains about everything and everyone, never satisfied!!!

And this is coming from someone from New York. Wouldn't surprise me. How can you compare Rochester with Los Angeles (from your description of the California Dream and surfing and skateboarding I assume he lives in LA). Sounds like your friend can't hang. And it's sound like his priorities where missed up in the first place. But as for my 12 friends from college who live there, they love it and they are living it up every single second. They have jobs, a car (not three- why does a single person need 3), and they are happy. So I guess good come to those that WAIT and PLAN RIGHT.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Exactly. That's why we left California in '05. We also felt like the housing market would soon take a dive, which it did. We sold at just the right time and cashed out with enough equity to buy a nice house in Denver. A house that's gained and held its value, unlike the condo we sold in CA, which has lost nearly 50% since we sold it. I feel sorry for the people who bought it from us though.

So, if you "cashed out" before the market crashed, and you know the housing market was too high at the time, it sounds like you where part of the "inflated problem" as oppose to the "solution." I know you may pat yourself on the back for selling in time, but how can you talk about the problem when you where part of it.

Last edited by razorback_06; 01-13-2009 at 03:35 PM..

Old 01-13-2009, 03:35 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorback_06 View Post
So, if you "cashed out" before the market crashed, and you know the housing market was too high at the time, it sounds like you where part of the "inflated problem" as oppose to the "solution." I know you may pat yourself on the back for in selling time, but how can you talk about the problem when you where part of it.
You can't really blame the poster for the housing bubble, he's just reacting to the market at that point.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:39 PM

Also, I would like to know HOW DOES CALIFORNIA represent how all Democrats govern? That's like saying GEORGE BUSH leadership represents all REPUBLICANS. Which I know it does not. Boards like this are just simply dumb. That's why we need to weed out the dumb and ignorant. Education is KEY to a better America.

Last edited by razorback_06; 01-13-2009 at 03:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies