Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 01:40 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,572,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Because there may be only one or two who actually know were he is and they have not been caught yet.

Are you forgetting the three year stretch when we were being told about every other month that we've just captured "Al Qaeda's number two man"?

Of course, maybe they meant "number two" in a different sense.

Urban Dictionary: honeydipper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 01:44 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,910,690 times
Quote:
If you are talking about the nail pulling and beating kind, no, absolutely not. As I said before, I do not think water boarding is torture and I would rather POW's be water boarded than beat, or beheaded.

I answered your question now please reciprocate. If one of the perpetrators of 9/11 had been caught before it happened and water boarding would have revealed the information to stop it, would it be OK with you then.
If one of the 9/11 hijackers had been caught before it happened, wouldn't it have been self-evident how to stop 9/11? I mean that we would have already been on to them in order to catch one, and the flight classes would hopefully have been sending red flags up to the intelligence community.

If we've used waterboarding three times, and only one of the suspects yielded any quality information, how do we know that information was good? How do we know the other two weren't giving good information, only plans were changed so there wasn't any way to confirm their stories? If I were part of a terrorist cell and one of my group was caught, I'd change everything: plans, security protocols, phone numbers, meeting places, everything. And aren't there any other ways to get this valuable information? I know truth serum is a myth, but aren't there other drugs that could be used? The information might be corrupt, but the information extracted under torture is just as likely to be corrupt.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:51 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,846,421 times
Quote:
If it is saving the lives of our soldiers, our citizens, and other innocent people of the world, then it is NOT evil. I try not to use a large brush as you may be.

It seems to me that a lot of you may think that killing an enemy combatant is better than water boarding.
Again, you compromise the very values you are fighting for when you resort to torture. You become a terrorist who tortures. In fact, a person who does such acts suffers psychologically. They become desensitized and hardened to human suffering. PSTD is one such example.

Torture is not necessary for self defense. Your viewpoint, and perhaps your book, weigh heavily on justifying something that is just plain wrong.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:59 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,194,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If one of the 9/11 hijackers had been caught before it happened, wouldn't it have been self-evident how to stop 9/11? I mean that we would have already been on to them in order to catch one, and the flight classes would hopefully have been sending red flags up to the intelligence community.

If we've used waterboarding three times, and only one of the suspects yielded any quality information, how do we know that information was good? How do we know the other two weren't giving good information, only plans were changed so there wasn't any way to confirm their stories? If I were part of a terrorist cell and one of my group was caught, I'd change everything: plans, security protocols, phone numbers, meeting places, everything. And aren't there any other ways to get this valuable information? I know truth serum is a myth, but aren't there other drugs that could be used? The information might be corrupt, but the information extracted under torture is just as likely to be corrupt.
You are being disingenuous now, and if you can't answer I understand, these are not easy questions.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:59 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,339,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Torture is anything that is pain and/or suffering. There are a number of things that can be considered torture.
Yeah, like at a dentist's office.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I think a better term would be "shocked". If one is electrocuted usually death results.
That brings up a good point.
What about mental hospitals which use (or used) electric shock therapy? Isn't that "torture?"

Old 01-16-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Again, you compromise the very values you are fighting for when you resort to torture. You become a terrorist who tortures. In fact, a person who does such acts suffers psychologically. They become desensitized and hardened to human suffering. PSTD is one such example.

Torture is not necessary for self defense. Your viewpoint, and perhaps your book, weigh heavily on justifying something that is just plain wrong.
I disagree.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yeah, like at a dentist's office.
Good point!

Old 01-16-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The terrorist is responding to something. He doesn't wake up one morning and think this would be a good day to bomb something. He's picking his targets bases on who he perceives his enemy to be. Wouldn't it be more efficient to figure out why he sees America as his enemy, and to fix that? Then maybe when we kill a terrorist there wouldn't be ten more lined up to replace him.
Trying to reason with terorists?!? I don't think that would be very effective! Most of them are crazy or brainwashed or both.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:11 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,979,887 times
Quote:
I do not believe that a scientific study could be done on this subject, and if you do perhaps you could enlighten me as to how such a study would be conducted.
Of course you can do a study. Sample size consisting of control groups and torture groups. Any scientist knows this.

Until a contrary view from a non-partisan working group (akin to 9/11 commission and their report), the Rumsfeld working group results will have to stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies