Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 08:22 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,762,395 times

Advertisements

ISP Lobbyists Shape Broadband Stimulus Plan
Senate adds tax credits, eliminates network neutrality language...

At least $6 billion of Obama's $835 billion infrastructure economic stimulus package will be going toward broadband. However, different versions of the plan are working their way through the House and Senate, with the Senate today considering an amendment that would expand that total to $9 billion

worth of grants. Unlike the House version, the Senate version would also give carriers a 10% tax credit for building out high-speed Internet ("defined as 5Mbps/1Mbps) in rural and underserved areas, and a 20% credit for those willing to bring "next gen" (defined as 100Mbps/20Mbps)speeds to existing areas. Lobbyists are also working hard to eliminate all network neutrality protections tied to taxpayer money. Buried in the House version of the plan is a provision requiring that any government (technically taxpayer) subsidized networks adhere to "open access" conditions – the term left intentionally vague to be more specifically defined by the FCC within 45 days of passage. So far it appears that the Senate version of the plan contains no such network neutrality language. Meanwhile, Qwest lobbyists say they're disappointed by the plan so far:“We continue to be disappointed,” said Shirley Bloomfield, Qwest’s top Washington lobbyist. She said the Denver-based local phone company operates in 14 Western states and can quickly put people to work digging trenches and installing fiber-optic lines in rural areas that lack high-speed Internet access.
Qwest recently wrote a love letter to the Obama transition team asking for money to be doled out to the states, who would in turn request bids from companies proposing to achieve 95% statewide availability of broadband that's 7Mbps or faster. Qwest failed to note that they've spent millions to prevent cities and towns across the country from wiring themselves with broadband.

That isn't good... funny how we pay for things and the lobbyists always look to have their cake, and eat it too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 09:09 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,157,738 times
Hey! I know MY husband,who has been laid off since Jan 9,would LOVE to be able to get a job digging a trench to bring broadband to our place here in the country!!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Hey! I know MY husband,who has been laid off since Jan 9,would LOVE to be able to get a job digging a trench to bring broadband to our place here in the country!!
America speaks!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:26 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Whats the point of pushing out lobbyists from the white house when lobbyists shape the laws that Obama is going to sign? It doesn't do any good at all.... I hope Obama vetoes this.... and make it more transparent... who exactly is adding all this junk to the bill... where is the TRANSPARENCY?

Old 01-29-2009, 04:55 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,762,395 times
I don't have a problem with the bill; well... except where did this during the .com boom and we see what they did with that $ but I digress, I have a problem with the bold.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:53 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,830,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Whats the point of pushing out lobbyists from the white house when lobbyists . . . .
correction. . . he's only told us he's pushing lobbyists out for the mindless lefties. If you look at actions, lobbyists are in. Heck, he can't even keep tax evaders out of running the IRS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies