Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2007, 08:28 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times

Advertisements

I read a few topics about people retiring/what types of jobs they have etc. What type of job does everyone have, and is there a line which they will not cross? (For example, have you ever just had to put your foot down and say- no- I will not do this- or disagree with policy, etc.) I am really curious about this as it seems in the last 10-15 years certain things are a little out of hand.

Thanks for any responses!

sunny.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:46 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times
This is the very topic my wife and I have been discussing since I started my job a few months ago. I work for a small company (50 people). Unfortunately with smaller companies (at least this one) there are fewer rules and policies. People go to lunch and come back an hour and a half later. Nothing said. A co-worker comes in at 9 a.m. and usually stays 'til 8 p.m....he's been known to stay as late as 11 p.m. I've heard stories that the president/owner has cussed employees out. Basically his opinion (which is well known) is "My name is on the building, I sign the checks...I can say and do whatever I want."

When you have a smaller company with your buddies, I guess that mentality can be accepted. But when you begin hiring people outside your circle of friends and the company really grows, that just shouldn't be done. It's harasssment and intimidation.

Oh, better answer your question too. I work in e-marketing. Love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. Much better than my days as a waiter...wondering if I'd ever get to do what I really loved! Getting my degree allowed me to do it.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:36 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,455 times
Anymore if the employee attempts to or does buck the employer, the employers now days know for fact that jobs are hard to come by and they have the upper hand.

several years ago an employee could afford to stand up to the employer & say no or even argue his or her point, but present time they will flat find a reason to get rid of, fire, make that persons life on the job pure h*ll, or just say hey if you don't like it leave we can replace you very easily.

years ago the unions were really good & strong, now most are not worth a darn, take a fellow members money (dues) then do nothing for them, union member used to be able to use striking as a negotiating item, that is becoming a thing of the past as companies now are getting there way with non strike clauses, if the union members can't strike & the company knows it do you think there going to offer a fair or good contract.

Jobs moving overseas, more & more companys downsizing leaving the employees that are left after the downsize now not just doing there job but the jobs of the others that were let go, forcing more work upon the employees & longer hours but yet at the same rate of pay while the company publishes there quarterly reports to the shareholders of what a wonderful profit there making.

Health insurance, it was a great benefit years ago, low cost to the employee & his/her family, the plans benefits were real good with low deductibles/out of pocket, when the employee retired he kept that same insurance also.

Present day health ins, some employees have lost it completely while others the premiums are now not company paid but split so now the employee has to pay nearly half or possibly more, deductibles/out of pocket are higher, benfits are less, when they retire poof goes there insurance also.

Years ago the man worked the wife stayed home to raise the kids, present time ..... but i won't get into that lol.

ok i'm off my soap box now someone elses turn lol.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:44 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,959 times
The only security from getting misused these days is knowing how to do things that not too many others know how to do, and providing the best value.

They sure don't keep me around for my good looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies