Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 05:07 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times

Advertisements

Dear President Obama-

1. If you want people to listen to you, quit making speeches at press conferences. You got the job. It doesn't take around 10 minutes to answer one question. You are a relatively young President. You know the attention span of the American text messaging, multi-tasking public isn't what it used to be. One shouldn't need a No Doz intermission during a press conference.

2. People voted for you because they liked you. You acted like a combination of Chicken Little and Godzilla last night and that ain't good. I get it that you had on your "presidential face" but the gloom and doom stuff and a perpetual frown isn't what people look for from you, their "hope" President.

3. Were you wearing grey eye shadow? Just asking. I still have an old TV, maybe it's going. But - nice suit.

4. As you keep reminding us, you won the election on a "change" platform. Then why put Nancy Pelosi in charge of the stimulus bill? She and her Congressional peers had a lower approval rating than President Bush. Please don't tell me it's because if this spendiferous thing is part of the "30% we'll get wrong" you are going to pin it on her. She's just being Nancy Pelosi on a shopping spree with our tax dollars. You had to know what you'd get.

5. Like liberals trying desperately to rebrand themselves as progressives, trying to parse pork and rebranding "spending" as "investing" isn't fooling anybody even though the White House weenie press corp didn't mention it. Hey did anyone ask an inflation question? It must have been when I got up to splash my face with water.

6. It's not becoming of you to make snide remarks about your Vice Presidential pick. You don't have to act like one of the cool kids now. You came off as mean and snide. I may not be of fan of either one of you but I don't like hearing the VP humiliated in public by his boss.

7. If someone tried to stimulate you in 2009 and you didn't feel it until 2 or 3 years later would you say you were stimulated? That's spending, not stimulus. If you want it, put it in some other spending bill. But I'm thinking you wanted to put a "rush" on it and attach an "importance" and hoped nobody would notice.

9. I know, public scrutiny, what a pain in the butt! No one in the media prepared you for it during the campaign.

10. Tip: Don't go down the road of that Truth Commission. The creepy name itself reeks of 1984. Don't support the so-called Fairness Doctrine. Number One - there is nothing "fair" about targeting one form of media and not another and as you have discovered the public isn't stupid. Number Two - it makes you look weak, like you can't handle criticism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 05:18 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,864,685 times
^ Excellent post as regards obama's poor performance at the press conference.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:26 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Dear President Obama-

1. If you want people to listen to you, quit making speeches at press conferences. You got the job. It doesn't take around 10 minutes to answer one question. You are a relatively young President. You know the attention span of the American text messaging, multi-tasking public isn't what it used to be. One shouldn't need a No Doz intermission during a press conference.

2. People voted for you because they liked you. You acted like a combination of Chicken Little and Godzilla last night and that ain't good. I get it that you had on your "presidential face" but the gloom and doom stuff and a perpetual frown isn't what people look for from you, their "hope" President.

3. Were you wearing grey eye shadow? Just asking. I still have an old TV, maybe it's going. But - nice suit.

4. As you keep reminding us, you won the election on a "change" platform. Then why put Nancy Pelosi in charge of the stimulus bill? She and her Congressional peers had a lower approval rating than President Bush. Please don't tell me it's because if this spendiferous thing is part of the "30% we'll get wrong" you are going to pin it on her. She's just being Nancy Pelosi on a shopping spree with our tax dollars. You had to know what you'd get.

5. Like liberals trying desperately to rebrand themselves as progressives, trying to parse pork and rebranding "spending" as "investing" isn't fooling anybody even though the White House weenie press corp didn't mention it. Hey did anyone ask an inflation question? It must have been when I got up to splash my face with water.

6. It's not becoming of you to make snide remarks about your Vice Presidential pick. You don't have to act like one of the cool kids now. You came off as mean and snide. I may not be of fan of either one of you but I don't like hearing the VP humiliated in public by his boss.

7. If someone tried to stimulate you in 2009 and you didn't feel it until 2 or 3 years later would you say you were stimulated? That's spending, not stimulus. If you want it, put it in some other spending bill. But I'm thinking you wanted to put a "rush" on it and attach an "importance" and hoped nobody would notice.

9. I know, public scrutiny, what a pain in the butt! No one in the media prepared you for it during the campaign.

10. Tip: Don't go down the road of that Truth Commission. The creepy name itself reeks of 1984. Don't support the so-called Fairness Doctrine. Number One - there is nothing "fair" about targeting one form of media and not another and as you have discovered the public isn't stupid. Number Two - it makes you look weak, like you can't handle criticism.

I'm actually enjoying watching him squirm and especially after the abuse he and his attack machine doled out to a good and decent American and war hero. He'll get his spending bill and we'll get the Carternomics (stagflation) that goes along with printing that much money. For people my age or older who lived through the late seventies, this isn't anything new. But the young people may be in for a real eye opener in the next few years.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:56 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,346 times
Quote:
Dear President Obama-

Yes, please Mr. Obama. The American people are dumb. We can't understand when people speak in bursts of more than about 50 words. Keep it short.

Mr. Obama, please remember from your days in school where a professor would try to explain, say, the Krebs cycle, and a student would interject "excuse me, sir, please quit making speeches that last this long -- we don't have the attention span to understand this complex science." Keep that in mind.

Quote:
Inflation should be job one. Since Paul Volcker is one of your advisors, I'm sure he's advising you to do just what he did in the early 80's to nip inflation in the bud. It's just what this economy needs.

Quote:
And right after you say you're not going to support the Fairness Doctrine, we'd appreciate a statement that you also will not support the Unicorn Repatriation Act of 2009. It's bad for the unicorns, bad for the heffalumps, and bad for the United States.

And please, do listen to the bellyaching on this forum. You may have a gaudy 76% approval rating; the Democrats in Congress may have a 60% approval rating vs 44% for the congressional Republicans; and you may have convinced 74% of voters that you're doing enough to cooperate with Republicans, versus the 39% who say the Republicans are doing enough to cooperate with you. That may all be true. But clearly the better course is to jettison the plans and proposals which helped you get elected and do what the minority party would like you to do. You may think that the American people repudiated that policy when they handed the Republicans a significant defeat at the polls in November, but don't be fooled.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:59 AM

419 posts, read 602,985 times
Lol @ 76% approval rating

Old 02-10-2009, 07:03 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,445,226 times
Quote:
Dear President Obama-

We watched different press conferences, you and I.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:45 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,854 times
Dear President Obama-

1. It's so nice to hear a President who can speak in complete and coherent sentences, even whole paragraphs! Please don't change. Please don't "dumb down" your comments when speaking to the American public. We've seen all too well how misleading very short, "folksy" answers can be. Treat us like adults, and assume that we can understand what it is that you're saying. And if we have to get out a dictionary, so much the better.

2. I voted for you because you said things that hadn't been said in a long time, and because I felt that you would level with us and tell us the truth ... an uncommon commodity for our previous President. If the news is bad, tell us - we can take it. What we can't take any longer is nonsense like "the fundamentals of the economy are strong."

3. We count on you to do what's right for the country - not necessarily what's popular. If that means reigning in the Democratic leadership in Congress, please do it. There are a number of new members of Congress who owe their seats to you. Use that capital, and get them to play nice.

4. Bless you for making continual and genuine attempts to work with Congressional Republicans. Even though they gratefully accepted all the one-way compromises you gave on the House bill and then spit in your eye, I really appreciate the way you have continued to try. The only way a large number of the opposition party will approach anything like bipartisanship is if you continue to show the way. This is part of the "change" your supporters voted for, and it's heartening to see that it wasn't just a campaign slogan.

5. Thank you for stating so clearly what should be obvious to us all by now: "But as we've learned very clearly and conclusively over the last eight years, tax cuts alone can't solve all of our economic problems, especially tax cuts that are targeted to the wealthiest few Americans. We have tried that strategy time and time again, and it's only helped lead us to the crisis we face right now." And: "And I'm happy to get good ideas from across the political spectrum, from Democrats and Republicans. What I won't do is return to the failed theories of the last eight years that got us into this fix in the first place, because those theories have been tested, and they have failed. And that's what part of the election in November was all about."

6. Forgive those of us who cannot or will not accept that "spending" is stimulus ... that tax cuts for individuals put more money in our pockets but doesn't necessarily mean we'll spend or invest it ... that tax cuts for businesses are good for businesses but that they don't mean those businesses will then hire people ... that to stimulate the economy in a meaningful way means spending money right now to put people to work, and that a way of quickly accomplishing this is to get money to the states.

7. I hope that, after measures have been taken to address the economic crisis, you recall the words you have spoken on several occasions and again last night; i.e., "My view is also that nobody's above the law and, if there are clear instances of wrongdoing, that people should be prosecuted just like any ordinary citizen." The American people may be fooled from time to time, but eventually we come to recognize what is right and what is wrong. If we want a government that truly works for our best interests, then we want a government that is honest with us, and a government that will hold people accountable for their actions. We deserve no less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies