Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Long Until Recession Is Over?
Within The Next 6 Months 4 6.78%
6 Months to 1 Year 8 13.56%
1 Year to 2 Years 8 13.56%
2 Years to 5 Years 16 27.12%
Never. The Recession Is a Permanent Thing 11 18.64%
Other 12 20.34%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:36 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,282,703 times

Advertisements

I want to go on record here and be the first to say that the recession is already over. It ended in January 2009.

Now, it will be while until all the data is in, at least two more quarters, but once its in it will show that the economy was in recovery by January 1st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 08:44 AM

5,478 posts, read 12,255,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
True, but psychology does play a role, particularly over the difference between what people have expected some number to be and what it actually turns out to be. An unemployment rate of 7.6%, for instance, will be viewed differently depending on whether it had been expected it to be 8.0% or 7.2%...
If that's the case, not any time soon. Stock market took a near 400 point dive after Obama's press conference and Turbo Tax Tim's crook plan was announced. Only rebounded by 50 yesterday and it was down another 200 at opening today. People don't have faith in this bill. How can they when they're getting the politics of fear thrown at them? How can they when people who are proposing the guidelines for TARP 2 and run the IRS can't even file their own taxes correctly and were at the helm of the Fed last year during Tarp 1 along with crooks like Burnanke. Turbo Tax Tim: Real change there.

We keep hearing it's all about saving or creating 3-4 million jobs "building roads and bridges" yet only 5% of the total bill is alloted for such infrastructure projects. Let's say for sh*ts and grins, that there are some shovel-ready jobs where laid off accountants or whoever will be repairing and filling things. What happens when these projects reach their completion? What happens to that job? What's the incentive to complete the job on a timely schedule if you know you'll be out of work again and the PRIVATE sector hasn't created any more jobs? Then what? And just how much are these "shovel ready" jobs paying, I wonder? Then we'll need a bailout to bailout the bailout. Talk about shovel-ready---digging ourselves into holes is about the only shovel-ready I see. I have a few friends who own small businesses and none of them are encouraged by this, at all....

Old 02-12-2009, 08:59 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,168,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
If that's the case, not any time soon. Stock market took a near 400 point dive after Obama's press conference and Turbo Tax Tim's crook plan was announced. Only rebounded by 50 yesterday and it was down another 200 at opening today. People don't have faith in this bill. How can they when they're getting the politics of fear thrown at them? How can they when people who are proposing the guidelines for TARP 2 and run the IRS can't even file their own taxes correctly and were at the helm of the Fed last year during Tarp 1 along with crooks like Burnanke. Turbo Tax Tim: Real change there.

We keep hearing it's all about saving or creating 3-4 million jobs "building roads and bridges" yet only 5% of the total bill is alloted for such infrastructure projects. Let's say for sh*ts and grins, that there are some shovel-ready jobs where laid off accountants or whoever will be repairing and filling things. What happens when these projects reach their completion? What happens to that job? What's the incentive to complete the job on a timely schedule if you know you'll be out of work again and the PRIVATE sector hasn't created any more jobs? Then what? And just how much are these "shovel ready" jobs paying, I wonder? Then we'll need a bailout to bailout the bailout. Talk about shovel-ready---digging ourselves into holes is about the only shovel-ready I see. I have a few friends who own small businesses and none of them are encouraged by this, at all....
So you think it's better to do nothing , create no jobs because some jobs will end???

OK, here we go.....some people need jobs now...now....so money goes to fix a bridge...that doesn't mean that a bunch of people with shovels run out and start digging!!!!!

...that means planners, architects, engineers, contractors start getting jobs, they in turn hire more people.
Those people earn money which may help to pay off their mortgage which in turn helps EVERYONE because people losing their homes is NOT a good thing!

Then some of these people with J O B S pay the plumber to fix their toilet and the plumber then has money and may go out and buy a car giving someone else a job making cars!

Then an architect gets a job and hires another architect to help and they use services and goods that give other people jobs who will then spend money on goods and services thatr will give other people jobs!.

SEE! THAT is REAL VALUABLE "trickle down"!!!!

You think infrastructure repair jobs will end??!!!! In THIS country!!!???

Old 02-12-2009, 09:11 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,831,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Uh, the Newtster was dismissed in disgrace after the 1998 elections...
The booming, republican congress led economy, continued until pelosi. . . . and the fact drives you guys crazy with envy.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:29 AM

5,478 posts, read 12,255,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So you think it's better to do nothing , create no jobs because some jobs will end???
I didn't say do nothing. Why must you assume that because people are against the bill as it stands that they must be for doing nothing? What I am for is doing something that DOES something. Why is it only 5% of this bill is allotted for infrastructure when we're led to believe the major thrust of the bill is to invest in that infrastructure and put people to work? That's a pretty sad percentage. That's the best we can do? So we just throw stuff at the wall in a hurry instead of taking the time to develop plans that are focused and will actually DO something? We pass crap so we can pass it quickly? Just like we had to hurry up and throw money at the wall last Sept/Oct? I don't think so.

Have you even READ the bill? Probably not. Most people on the Hill don't even know what's in the thing. Obama doesn't know what's in it. That much was evident during his press circus. It's accessible online btw, in all its stages and versions.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:34 AM

105 posts, read 253,455 times
It depends how far down we swim and how long we can hold our breathe. . .

Old 02-12-2009, 09:40 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,495,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
The booming, republican congress led economy, continued until pelosi. . . . and the fact drives you guys crazy with envy.
Oh, yeah...the Republican Congress. The Contract with America, a couple of government shutdowns, that absurd impeachment charade, the rigged IPO scandals, Enron and that whole bunch, upsetting the Agreed Framework so that the DPRK went nuclear, bribery and money laundering, soliciting Congressional pages, fretting over Terri Schiavo...what a lot that Republican Congress was. Boy, weren't they one for the books...

Old 02-12-2009, 09:53 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,168,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I didn't say do nothing. Why must you assume that because people are against the bill as it stands that they must be for doing nothing? What I am for is doing something that DOES something. Why is it only 5% of this bill is allotted for infrastructure when we're led to believe the major thrust of the bill is to invest in that infrastructure and put people to work? That's a pretty sad percentage. That's the best we can do? So we just throw stuff at the wall in a hurry instead of taking the time to develop plans that are focused and will actually DO something? We pass crap so we can pass it quickly? Just like we had to hurry up and throw money at the wall last Sept/Oct? I don't think so.

Have you even READ the bill? Probably not. Most people on the Hill don't even know what's in the thing. Obama doesn't know what's in it. That much was evident during his press circus. It's accessible online btw, in all its stages and versions.
By the time the bill is PERFECT and acceptable to all....we will all be long dead and buried.

The time to act was a few years ago so why do you think we should wait some more!

If you're out of a job and desperate for work and need to save your home and feed your family you would not be so damn picky!

Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times
Quote:
I want to go on record here and be the first to say that the recession is already over. It ended in January 2009.

Now, it will be while until all the data is in, at least two more quarters, but once its in it will show that the economy was in recovery by January 1st.
You are right.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:05 AM

24,438 posts, read 23,103,140 times
So when will the "Palin Recovery" start? 4 years, 5 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies