Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which political party's politicians are more supportive to Veterans Issues
Republicans 25 38.46%
Democrats 32 49.23%
Other 5 7.69%
Not Sure 3 4.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:40 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
I'm interested in learning more about that term and where it came from. Back when the Conservative movement was largely Democrat they were called "Dixiecrats". What's the background on Bluedog"?
This explains it somewhat...we have a lot of local politicians now falling in line with this agenda also,so I kind of imagine it is really spreading nationwide.They are true moderate democrats and although I'm not 100% in agreement with everything,they still represent things closer than any other group or party for things I see as important in our country.

Blue Dog Coalition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.house.gov/melancon/BlueDogs/ (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 11:59 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
This explains it somewhat...we have a lot of local politicians now falling in line with this agenda also,so I kind of imagine it is really spreading nationwide.They are true moderate democrats and although I'm not 100% in agreement with everything,they still represent things closer than any other group or party for things I see as important in our country.

Blue Dog Coalition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blue Dog Coalition (http://www.house.gov/melancon/BlueDogs/ - broken link)

OK, well then that's something different from the Dixiecrats.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:06 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,027 times
From CNN Winners and losers in the final stimulus bill - CNN.com

Losers

Veterans: Nearly all items for Veterans Affairs were reduced and the $2 billion the Senate wanted for VA construction was wiped out altogether. The VA did get one thing: $1 billion for medical facilities renovation and retooling.

Military construction: Cut and put into a general pot, a change from targeted money for each branch of the services. Army construction alone went from $600 million in the Senate and $900 million in the House to $180 million in the final bill. But negotiators compromised over a general military construction fund -- the House wanted $3.75 billion while the Senate allocated $118 million and settled on $1.45 billion for all services.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Republicans vote against this thing, you know the one that didn't help the veterans out?

Old 02-17-2009, 02:12 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
once again for your veiwing pleasure

Who served?
That's good to know, but I'm not quite sure what your assertion is here.

I didn't recall ever saying that there were more republican politicians who served in the military, just that military culture overall in my experience tended more or less toward an emphasis on republican ideals, and that, yes, most of my colleagues were in fact republican.

Funny parody on Bush though.

Last edited by MrSykes; 02-17-2009 at 02:24 PM..

Old 02-17-2009, 03:44 PM

1,133 posts, read 712,640 times
Quote:
Actually Castro came to power during the Eisenhower Adeministration and the Bay of Pigs debacle was planned by the Eisenhower Administration. Richard Nixon discusses it in his book "Six Crises". Castro revealed himself to be a Communist in 1959.
Yea, and it was Kennedy that left the good men to fend for themselves in the invasion because the little drunken womanizing so and so quaked in front of Kruchev.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:02 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsykes View Post
that's good to know, but i'm not quite sure what your assertion is here.

I didn't recall ever saying that there were more republican politicians who served in the military, just that military culture overall in my experience tended more or less toward an emphasis on republican ideals, and that, yes, most of my colleagues were in fact republican.

Funny parody on bush though.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:48 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Mrsykes you did imply the ranks were republican, but perhaps the reality is not so much the troops are republican as much as republicans mimick the sentiments of the troops in their speeches. They've consistently aligned themselves as such for decades but it would appear they don't see the point in participating on their own dime with their own lives.

It would also appear they don't feel themselves indebted with gratitude financially, either. Why not, when cheap and easy flag waving and bumper stickers on july 4th/ veterans day will suffice?

I'd characterize military members as conservative, but not neccessarily affiliated with a specific party because the party definitions have vacillated a great deal. Shipboard there were an unusually high # of registered 3rd party (self included) but that may have been annecdotal. As for politicians, I think electing chickenhawks is grotesquely inappropriate.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:28 PM

37,202 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
I'm interested in learning more about that term and where it came from. Back when the Conservative movement was largely Democrat they were called "Dixiecrats". What's the background on Bluedog"?
The Dixiecrats were segregationist.

They had much less to do with politics than they did racism. That's why Trent Lott stomped all over his tallywhacker when he said America would have been a better place if Strom Thurmond had succeeded.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The Dixiecrats were segregationist.

They had much less to do with politics than they did racism. That's why Trent Lott stomped all over his tallywhacker when he said America would have been a better place if Strom Thurmond had succeeded.

Oh yes. Very much so. They and the Republicans in the Northern States blocked most Civil Rights legislation.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Yea, and it was Kennedy that left the good men to fend for themselves in the invasion because the little drunken womanizing so and so quaked in front of Kruchev.

Actually, Kennedy was stunned by the international outrage at the unprovoked attack. He had been led to believe that the world would support America's actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies