Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:46 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,479,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
EscapeCalifornia, soon you will be renting from them with no option to every buy.
Yes, they're really going to buy every house in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 09:52 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,075,356 times
EscapeCalifornia, I'm not saying that they will buy every house in America. But with the state of the economy and Americans not being able to buy a home without debt what do you think might happen? There should be a bit more difficulty in foreigner investors to acquire any property in the US just as it would be in their country. What is the problem?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,495,400 times
Quote:

Mikeetc, Americans can not buy easily in So. America, many countries in Africa the US can not buy, Carribean, Mexico, same thing with most of Asia, etc. You can rent/lease but you can't own and if you do it will cost you. Why can't the US do the same thing?
Basically because we live in a relatively free market society open to practically anyone with the money.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:49 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,325,421 times
My son lived in Germantown, Md for 10 years...this fall he moved 40 miles away to Harpers Ferry, West Virginia to escape the high taxation there.
His City Income Tax had averaged $25,000 per year.

His home in Germantown was a 2 story home valued at about $850 k. He sold it in the recent depressed economy for $650K.

Around him were his neighbors..over 200 of them...all chinese nationals living in new similar homes paid for by the chinese government while they worked in state dept jobs in downtown DC.

If the neighbors could talk to you privately in the back yard, they were the very best of friends.

On the front sidewalk it was another story. When walking of a morning, if you stopped to speak to someone, a neighbor would run from an adjaicient home to see what was going on...so paranoid.
Everyone was spying on each other...
My son got a belly full of it and found a place without that type of social criteria.

Why did he live there? He was one of the first in that neighborhood and was the only american national for blocks around who's family spoke English.
His job was critical and sensitive...I'm sure they had his number.

Harper's Ferry? Everybody on the new block speaks English and doesn't care if you walk the dog or not...was a good move, for sure.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:04 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,703,626 times
Quote:
EscapeCalifornia, I'm not saying that they will buy every house in America. But with the state of the economy and Americans not being able to buy a home without debt what do you think might happen? There should be a bit more difficulty in foreigner investors to acquire any property in the US just as it would be in their country. What is the problem?
If we can't buy a home without debt, there is no one else to blame except ourselves for not saving our money.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that Americans can't buy foreign land. The real estate is actually a global market.

Tim C.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:29 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,075,356 times
TimC2462, I am first generation American and married to a foreigner and have lived abroad and know for a fact that it is not easy nor at times a possibility for US Americans to purchase abroad. Have you tried doing so? Name the countries where Americans can buy and where Americans can buy without penalty and name the places where we can't.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Honestly, it doesn't bother me much that we allow this, I just wish more countries would join in and allow us to buy there.

Although I believe anyone in the EU can move and buy land within the EU, I am not 100% certain of that though.
I agree, if they can buy here, why can't we buy there including the land.

Nita

Old 02-14-2009, 09:21 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,530,430 times
Quote:
Why is it so easy for foreigners to buy US property but it is difficult for the US citizen to buy in other countries?

The Chinese are coming, to buy bargain US homes (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/02/12/international/i083518S78.DTL&type=realestate - broken link)

It's because the US simply invades other countries rather than buying up their houses.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:19 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,703,626 times
Quote:
TimC2462, I am first generation American and married to a foreigner and have lived abroad and know for a fact that it is not easy nor at times a possibility for US Americans to purchase abroad. Have you tried doing so? Name the countries where Americans can buy and where Americans can buy without penalty and name the places where we can't.
South Korea, Costa Rica, Italy, France, Colombia, Canada, Mexico, Britain, Germany, etc.

What foreign country is refusing you to purchase land there?

Tim C.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,635,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
South Korea, Costa Rica, Italy, France, Colombia, Canada, Mexico, Britain, Germany, etc.

What foreign country is refusing you to purchase land there?

Tim C.
Mexico has restrictions on the sale of land to foreigners, so does Poland (although the EU has been trying to force the Poles to change their laws).

Not sure about South Korea or Colombia. North Korea definitely does NOT allow the sale of property to foreigners, neither do Cuba or Zimbabwe, but I don't know who would want to move to those countries.

In all the other countries named by Tim Americans are able to buy property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies