Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:25 AM

20,062 posts, read 20,872,330 times

Advertisements

Let's just say for entertainment purposes...

Say some nobody, regular, high school educated guy comes out of the woodwork and announces a run for president. No party affiliation whatsoever. No political background either.
A guy with a lot of common sense, heart and determination. A guy that the majority of Americans can actually relate to. And no fear of political backlash due to no party loyalty. He wont care about pissing off the dems or repubs. Most of all, a regular average American who is grounded in the reality of everyday life and understands what it is like not being born with silver spoon in your ass.

Would this guy have a shot at the presidency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 10:26 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
I am not a guy but I will give it a go.

I certainly hope he would have a chance. I may vote him depending on a lot of things. The right was very strong on Obama being "inexperienced" so he might face that if he going up against the Republicans and Democrats even.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:28 AM

971 posts, read 1,295,195 times
Not a chance in Hell with how our system is set up and works.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:29 AM

5,477 posts, read 12,249,829 times
The system is so corrupt that I don't see how this scenario could happen, although I would love it. This guy would need funding---lots of money, and even millionaires have lost past races due to various reasons and the influence of special interest.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:29 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post

Say some nobody, regular, high school educated guy comes out of the woodwork and announces a run for president. No party affiliation whatsoever. No political background either.
A guy with a lot of common sense, heart and determination. A guy that the majority of Americans can actually relate to. And no fear of political backlash due to no party loyalty. He wont care about pissing off the dems or repubs. Most of all, a regular average American who is grounded in the reality of everyday life and understands what it is like not being born with silver spoon in your ass.

No he would not. The reason is he would have no Party backing him, meaning money, both of the other two Parties would fight him tooth and nail, and many would not vote for him simply because with a Party in Congress to back him up he would be a lame duck from day one.
Casper

Old 01-25-2010, 10:30 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
I would prefer someone with legal, international, military, economic, and business experience. It is those experiences that help shape our opinions and form ideas.

If said person were to have a strong platform and surrounded himself with advisors well versed in the areas of expertise that s/he were lacking, then maybe.

I think the position of POTUS is too important for on the job training, however. We are seeing the ramifications of that now, and it's not pretty.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:32 AM

235 posts, read 510,855 times
With only a HS education? I'm going to say no chance at all unless he's created & run some extremely successful business and has experience beyond what a HS education gives you. Being President has a lot more to do with just party affiliation and understanding what the "average joe" needs. I would question if this person truly understood international affairs, domestic affairs, etc. I'd have to see who they surrounded themselves with before even considering a vote for someone like this.

ETA: Or Whatyousay said.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:32 AM

20,062 posts, read 20,872,330 times
This is very interesting to me. So we can definitely play around with scenarios.
Say this guy actually has strong following, the people are really rallying behind him, he's making numbers in the polls. Would he still have a chance or would the political powers that be still find a way to stop him dead in his tracks?

BTW girls, I'm just using "guy" as an example. Hell, it could be a girl too.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:40 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:

Sorry, but I think the person needs experience running/managing something. It could be a business or a state or a city or even a charitable organization. They need to be able to take ideas, know the impact of those ideas on everyone from experience and be able to follow through with implementation. They need to know what a budget is, how to work within one and be ready to address unplanned for things that come up out of the blue. They need to hire people that aren't just ideas guys (meant non-gender specific) but knowledgeable implementers. They need to be able to move from ideas to action. They need to know how to deal with and respect all kinds of people not just people like them. Now if any of those guys only happen to have just a high school diploma but have a track record of business/government/nonprofit success in running something big, I'm okay with that. I'd rather have them in charge than some US Senator/Rep/lawyer that never managed a large organization in their life...which is why our choices in 2008, stunk.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:40 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,828,106 times
Quote:

Absolutely NOT!! He would not have a snowballs chance in Algore's hell on earth of getting anywhere near the Whitehouse! No one outside of the Republican or Democrat Party will be elected President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies