Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:39 PM

10 posts, read 28,822 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, This seemed like a good place to post this. According to the news article below: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/27/us/27govs.html Idaho is one of the states considering turning down federal funds from the recent stimulus bill that would provide for extended unemployment benefits for those laid off in this hard year. As a friend or colleague of many people in this situation at HP or Micron, I have written to our governor to protest this action and demand that they take the funds and extend people's benefits per the requirements for taking this money. Their argument is that though they would get money from the federal government, the changes might end up costing the state treasury more. I say, if they need to raise more money for the state treasury, they should enact new taxes on the companies and highly paid managers who are making the decisions to cut jobs in Boise and send them overseas, not punish the poor souls who find themselves jobless in this horrible economy after long careers of dedicated service. You can write to our governor at this page: C. L. “Butch” Otter - The State of Idaho - Our Governor Contact Form Please forward this to all your friends and family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 05:34 PM

314 posts, read 1,217,751 times
Considering the state's lone Democrat is a cheerleader for opposing the Stimulus Pkg, this good-intentioned idea is a wasted effort...

Old 03-01-2009, 12:00 PM

960 posts, read 1,162,610 times
If unemployment benefits are extended, employers won't be able to drive down wages as fast. Idaho voters ensure minimum wages.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:29 AM

879 posts, read 2,857,717 times
How the Valley's vibrant economy disintegrated | Eyepiece | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/eyepiece/story/684139.html - broken link)

For the last couple years I've been telling my family that this could happen and it would be the state's fault. Boise kept Idaho moving and Idaho decided to cut off it's limbs.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:44 AM

When I saw subdivisions of new $400K+ houses in/around Boise, I knew its goose was cooked. It will be boom/bust in Idaho as long as it's a red state, because business rules in those states and business will almost always take a short-term gain at any long-term price. (Just look at almost any bank now, for a glaring example. The CEO is willing to bankrupt the company in the future for a $10 million bonus today.)

Old 03-02-2009, 09:12 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
When I saw subdivisions of new $400K+ houses in/around Boise, I knew its goose was cooked. It will be boom/bust in Idaho as long as it's a red state, because business rules in those states and business will almost always take a short-term gain at any long-term price. (Just look at almost any bank now, for a glaring example. The CEO is willing to bankrupt the company in the future for a $10 million bonus today.)

Heiwos, get off of your platform and your constant bashing republican bull crap. When did you last live here? Do you realize there are many people here whom make great wages, can afford more expensive homes?
Not everyone works for Micron. Why do you always see the glass half emtpy?
What is your agenda? What are you trying to prove here????
Do you miss Boise so much that all of the sudden you decided to start posting in Boise threads with a constant downer tone and actually telling people to leave the state???
Are you a happy person? Having depression issues?

Old 03-02-2009, 01:49 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,715 times
Heiwos,

I must admit, I get this same vibe from you. Are you going "keyboard warrior" here or are you normally this sour on everything in life? I can't imagine that would be much fun...

Old 03-02-2009, 02:53 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,580,242 times
Just poking my head in the Idaho forum, and came across this.

What strikes me as funny is the last line of your statement, "The CEO is willing to bankrupt the company in the future for a $10 million bonus today."<----Isn't that EXACTLY what this stimulus is doing to future generations of Americans? Sacrificing the future of our children for a fix today, so nobody has to feel uncomfortable?

And by rejecting bailout money, they are not turning their backs on Idaho. They are refusing to turn Idaho into a welfare state. The stimulus is giving the working person $13 per week, and giving the unemployed $25 per week. What does that tell you?

Old 03-02-2009, 03:16 PM

My point is, the sooner Idahoans quit voting against their own best interests, the better off they will be. I hate to see the children suffer. (People are going to be starving within a few years, and not because of Obama.) As long as we're talking mass lay-offs which are leading to another Great Depression, might as well discuss the root cause and how to fix that.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
What strikes me as funny is the last line of your statement, "The CEO is willing to bankrupt the company in the future for a $10 million bonus today."<----Isn't that EXACTLY what this stimulus is doing to future generations of Americans? Sacrificing the future of our children for a fix today, so nobody has to feel uncomfortable?
No, and no. It's about a last ditch attempt to stave off a depression, which would be 10X worse than injecting some $trillions into the economy now, to fix what Idahoans and other red staters broke.

Quote:
And by rejecting bailout money, they are not turning their backs on Idaho. They are refusing to turn Idaho into a welfare state. The stimulus is giving the working person $13 per week, and giving the unemployed $25 per week. What does that tell you?
It tells me that Idaho employers want to drive down wages faster. It's too late to be against welfare. Idahoans have firmly supported $9 trillion in borrowing & wasting since 1980, and have adamantly opposed paying one dime back.

Y'all can pretend that Republicanism has nothing to do with Idaho's fate now, but it'll just make things worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies