Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 12:48 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,281,581 times

Advertisements

Breaking News and Opinion on The Huffington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 12:53 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,281,581 times
P.S. One caveat from my little corner of the world: I worry that since the vast majority of these new jobs are construction jobs, many of those jobs will go to illegal workers rather than American workers. Or was that part of the deal--that Americans had to be hired? Anybody know?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:29 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,016,045 times
I can't say, but that was one of my fears too. My husband was laid off from a custom woodworking plant just before Christmas and he has reconsidered going back into commercial construction if the money is there.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:34 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
P.S. One caveat from my little corner of the world: I worry that since the vast majority of these new jobs are construction jobs, many of those jobs will go to illegal workers rather than American workers. Or was that part of the deal--that Americans had to be hired? Anybody know?

Pelosi stripped E-verify from the Bill. Some of the the jobs will go to illegals. Even worse, they will get a pay raise, as many of these jobs must comply with Davis-Bacon or the Service Contract Act. There is no provision that requires them to hire Americans, and the provisions that would have penalized them for hiring illegals were stripped. But hey, they are hard workers...

Old 03-04-2009, 06:38 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,975,389 times
I know I'll be taking advantage of some of this stimulus, even though I certainly don't need it.

Moral hazard anyone?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:47 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I know I'll be taking advantage of some of this stimulus, even though I certainly don't need it.
The idea is that everyone does. Even the money that dumb right-wingers spend creates demand and demand creates jobs and jobs create incomes and incomes create even more demand. Spend on, brother...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Moral hazard anyone?
No...never been tempted to become a Republican, actually...

Old 03-04-2009, 06:59 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,603,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Considering Construction took somewhere close to a 50% hit in jobs, the increase in employees would be great. The money will be spent locally, and it takes a lot of local suppliers to get the job done. I'd be more concerned about the cost of concrete which comes from the Middle-East...but hey, this is a Worldwide problem...so long as we don't get price gouged...

Old 03-04-2009, 07:12 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I can't say, but that was one of my fears too. My husband was laid off from a custom woodworking plant just before Christmas and he has reconsidered going back into commercial construction if the money is there.
If he doesn't have a job shouldn't he take the first that comes along regardless of if the money is there? Maybe things aren't as bad as the POTUS keeps spewing about. If people have this kind of attitude that they won't take jobs unless the money is there than it probably isn't that bad.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:25 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
I'd be more concerned about the cost of concrete which comes from the Middle-East...but hey, this is a Worldwide problem...so long as we don't get price gouged...
Concrete doesn't come from the Middle-East. Where did you come up with that idea at. The majority of illegal aliens do come from Mexico. They do take away jobs that Americans would, could and should be doing. It sounds like the Obamination is working. Common sense is dead in the USA

PCA - The Portland Cement Association

Barack Hussein Obama - Liberal, Liar and Racist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies