Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:40 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,853,849 times

Advertisements

So I've been all over the newspapers and web the last couple of days reading the critiques of BJ. Apparently only Rush Limbaugh, Sanrene and kootr think he did a good job. From people who actually watched the speech, listened critically and thought about what he said, and its implications the opinions run the gamut from bad to disasterous.

So, what should he have done? My suggestion (given with the excellent vision of 20/20 hindsight) is that he should have come out and said;

Hi, I'm Bobby Jindal and I'd like to compliment President Obama for giving a great, inspiring speech. I like to think I have a lot in common with the President, I'm really smart-Rhodes Scholar, I served in the state legislature and I'm a first-term Governor. So you can already see the similarities.

I may not have the "black" thing going for me, but I have the "brown" thing really going on. Not "landscaper brown", but "tech support" brown. Remember I'm smart and my family is from India.

Some more similarities between the President and me; both of us got our start in the lege of states known for corruption, self dealing and all kinds of other dirty political doings. So, you know that we know how to work the levers of power without getting our hands dirty. We both have really hot wives, not hot in the sense that every white guy thinks of it generally, but still HOT.

When my party has to give a "response" to a Presidential speech it's because we're out of power because the voters have woken up to our lies and given us the boot. Well, I'm not going to tell you a lot of lies tonight, I'm going to be "honest".

1. The reason I'm talking instead of Governor Palin is because her tax problems have been in the news this week and there hasn't been any bad press about me. And, dumb as she is, she still knows that there's no way to look good following Obama.

2. There's only so many dark faces in the Republican party and quite frankly Michael Steele has been making such an a**hole of himself this week that the party figured to trot me out like a "show pony".

3. I could tell some idiotic (lying) stories about Hurrican Katrina but that might remind you that I'm a Republican and that our party kind of screwed up on that deal.

4. I could tell you that I'm 100% against taking stimulus money, but it turns out that I'm only against taking the part that would most help our people, the expanded unemployment benefits. You see, economists say that unemployment benefits are one of the most stimulating expenditures you can make in a recession, but I'm dead set against anything that smacks of "science", or reason. Instead I'm going to follow my leader, Rush Limbaugh who says if I carry his water for him he'll be my "friend" and say nice things about me.

5. I could tell you that one of my campaign promises and first things I accomplished was education reform. In fact we're rolling out a "Jindal's education reform was a huge success" campaign this week. There will be lots of talking heads on the talk shows saying how successful it's been. They point out that last year we were 21st in education and this year we've move all the way up to 37th! Our kids may not know much but they do know that god created the world in 6 days and how to conduct exorcisms.

Anyway, that's about all I can think of for now. I know I'm not a rousing speaker like the President, but I can sling the s**t with the best of them. Anyway if you don't like this speech it won't bother me, I'm on my way to Disneyland with my wife and kids. And see, I didn't lie too much.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,855,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post

I may not have the "black" thing going for me, but I have the "brown" thing really going on. Not "landscaper brown", but "tech support" brown. Remember I'm smart and my family is from India.

2. There's only so many dark faces in the Republican party and quite frankly Michael Steele has been making such an a**hole of himself this week that the party figured to trot me out like a "show pony".
racist

Old 02-26-2009, 09:01 PM

492 posts, read 962,592 times
What he should have done is what he did. If you suffer any confusion as a consequence you can review his interview on some alphabet channel the next morning.

I believe he is saving his better speeches for 2012 in his race against the ol bag that was supposed to have been annointed this year.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:02 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,145,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
racist
How was the OP being racist? I think that the OP was attempting to point out the racism of right wingers thru a bit of sarcasm. Didn't you get it?

Old 02-26-2009, 09:03 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
So I've been all over the newspapers and web the last couple of days reading the critiques of BJ. Apparently only Rush Limbaugh, Sanrene and kootr think he did a good job. From people who actually watched the speech, listened critically and thought about what he said, and its implications the opinions run the gamut from bad to disasterous.

So, what should he have done? My suggestion (given with the excellent vision of 20/20 hindsight) is that he should have come out and said;

Hi, I'm Bobby Jindal and I'd like to compliment President Obama for giving a great, inspiring speech. I like to think I have a lot in common with the President, I'm really smart-Rhodes Scholar, I served in the state legislature and I'm a first-term Governor. So you can already see the similarities.

Some more similarities between the President and me; both of us got our start in the lege of states known for corruption, self dealing and all kinds of other dirty political doings. So, you know that we know how to work the levers of power without getting our hands dirty. We both have really hot wives, not hot in the sense that every white guy thinks of it generally, but still HOT.

When my party has to give a "response" to a Presidential speech it's because we're out of power because the voters have woken up to our lies and given us the boot. Well, I'm not going to tell you a lot of lies tonight, I'm going to be "honest".

1. The reason I'm talking instead of Governor Palin is because her tax problems have been in the news this week and there hasn't been any bad press about me. And, dumb as she is, she still knows that there's no way to look good following Obama.

3. I could tell some idiotic (lying) stories about Hurrican Katrina but that might remind you that I'm a Republican and that our party kind of screwed up on that deal.

4. I could tell you that I'm 100% against taking stimulus money, but it turns out that I'm only against taking the part that would most help our people, the expanded unemployment benefits. You see, economists say that unemployment benefits are one of the most stimulating expenditures you can make in a recession, but I'm dead set against anything that smacks of "science", or reason. Instead I'm going to follow my leader, Rush Limbaugh who says if I carry his water for him he'll be my "friend" and say nice things about me.

5. I could tell you that one of my campaign promises and first things I accomplished was education reform. In fact we're rolling out a "Jindal's education reform was a huge success" campaign this week. There will be lots of talking heads on the talk shows saying how successful it's been. They point out that last year we were 21st in education and this year we've move all the way up to 37th! Our kids may not know much but they do know that god created the world in 6 days and how to conduct exorcisms.

Anyway, that's about all I can think of for now. I know I'm not a rousing speaker like the President, but I can sling the s**t with the best of them. Anyway if you don't like this speech it won't bother me, I'm on my way to Disneyland with my wife and kids. And see, I didn't lie too much.

golfgod
pretty good summation....I just watched his whole speech tonight and just laughed...this is the best the poor Repubs have to offer????

He's exudes all the warmth and honesty of DICK Cheney

Old 02-26-2009, 09:05 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,233,999 times
I'll tell you what I find most interesting, Golfgod. It is that you have frequently and repeatedly started so many threads ripping on Republicans and taunting their supporters, when you clearly support their core way of seeing the world.

Hypocrite...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2191898-post6.html

Old 02-26-2009, 09:14 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,631,336 times
The Speech that Obama Should Have Given

"Sorry I am not able to give a coherent speech tonight. My best speech writer is Ted Kennedy, and he has a brain tumor, and I have an invasive, alien brain implant that warps my thoughts."

"I'll leave off my best Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde imitation since I already did that earlier this week. (Talkin' 'bout cutting the deficit in half after blowin' a cool trillion last week.)"

"I am using some of Al Franken's material tonight, but Al is still p*ssd that Heath Ledger posthumously won an Oscar (by stealing Al's voice and manic, demented demeanor for his role as the Joker). Al is really outta joint about that and is in a bad humour this week."

"I, myself, and I are in quite a manic mood, too. I'm ready to give ya'll another dash of HOPE after speaking so damn negatively (thanks, Bill!) about the economy the last few weeks."

"Why does Pelosi have that disturbing smile on her face behind me? Is she holding up "rabbit ears" while I am on camera?"

"I've been reminiscing all week about Stevie Wonder (who is 'the essence' of my courting myself and Michelle's courtship). Boy, is he the MasterBlaster. I aspire to be just as blasting with public funds as Stevie is at blasting lyrical forms!"

"Although I have unleashed funding for increased infanticide worldwide, I promise to promote the reduction of abortions by encouraging all male Americans to emulate my dear friend, Barney Frank."

"I have also unleashed Hillary on the Palestinian Problem, and we will soon have Middle East peace, since she can do a simple White Water-type real estate deal, and sell out a huge portion of Israel".

"Thanks for listening tonight. I am a little tired of selling DOPE---I mean---HOPE---- and want all to hang for believin'...or change to believe in.........whatever. Good night."

Old 02-26-2009, 10:08 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,631,336 times
"Oh, I forgot. Many thanks to tonight's sponsor: the Great Unborn American Taxpayer (who I am busy butchering)"

Old 02-27-2009, 08:06 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,853,849 times
New to CA wrote;
Quote:
I'll tell you what I find most interesting, Golfgod. It is that you have frequently and repeatedly started so many threads ripping on Republicans and taunting their supporters, when you clearly support their core way of seeing the world.

Hypocrite...
To which I can only suggest that newtoca sign up for a reading comprehension class! If he/she is going to suggest that moving from a high cost of living (Republican)state to a low cost of living (Democratic)state and pointing out the differences means I support R ideals and core way of seeing the world.

Let's look at some of the ways that Rs "free enterprise", "no new taxes" policies have made living in TX untenable for lots of folks;

1. Not enough money to build or maintain roads because the Rs spent about 8 years of budget in 2 years acquiring rights of way and doing initial engineering work on roads. Then to "raisse money" they turned over the infrastructure to a private toll road company (and promised no competition for IIRC 75 years). So, yes, no new taxes but try to drive in and around Austin without reaching for your wallet.

2. Unregulated homeowner's insurance rates. Basically we pay about 1/6 for $300K coverage with $250 deductible as much as we used to pay for $250K coverage with $7500 deductible. Yeah, that free market really works well there.

3. Our property tax went from over $5K to about $1700.

4. Ask the folks in the Houston (and other metro areas) service area how they like paying SIXTEEN CENTS PER KWH. I pay less than NINE CENTS.

5. Trash collection was "socialized" where I used to live, and is in a lot of communities, average cost over $30/month. So we, who recycled all that we could and put out ONE BAG per week paid as much as our next door neighbors who recycled NOTHING and put out 3 rolling bins per week. Where we live now we have the BIG rolling bin for our recycleables and put out ONE of the LARGE CONTRACTOR (heavy wall) BAGS about every third week. Cost $1.60/per bag. Another example of the government doing much more efficiently what private enterprise rips people off with.

6. Our city provides water and sewer at a rate less than one half of what the last two places I lived (one private water, one public) in TX.

So, somehow you take from this that I "clearly support" what idiots espouse as their "core beliefs". Like I said above, you should consider a class in reading comprehension, perhaps you could take it in the time you waste scrolling through all my past posts looking for something with which you could FALSELY accuse me of being a hypocrite.

golfgod

Old 02-27-2009, 08:13 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,798,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
racist
Cmon now. Everybody knows this is a large part of why he is a "rising star" in the Republican Party.

Or at least he was until he started getting this uncomfortable national exposure.

Craig made us all chuckle. Palin crashed and burned. Now Jindal. Any other women/minority/gay candidates the Republican Party can trot out for the nation to laugh at?

I think we are getting near the bottom of the barrel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies