Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:30 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
You're ignorant. If you get multiple jobs you can work 80 hours a week.
No, sorry. It just isn't possibe. If you consider travel time, time to eat, bathe, clothe yourself, and all the other things a person needs to do in the course of a day, there isn't time enough for a person to be working 16 hours in a day. Once in a while in some occupations one might pull a long shift, but no one is working 40 hours at one job, and 40 hours at another or any combination thereof.

Do you know anyone who does? I don't, and I have never heard of any either. I've heard of twelve hour shifts, and other arrangements, but, I'm sorry, I don't think there is anyone working 80 hours per week.

And by the way, I am not ignorant, thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 05:40 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
No, sorry. It just isn't possibe. If you consider travel time, time to eat, bathe, clothe yourself, and all the other things a person needs to do in the course of a day, there isn't time enough for a person to be working 16 hours in a day. Once in a while in some occupations one might pull a long shift, but no one is working 40 hours at one job, and 40 hours at another or any combination thereof.

Do you know anyone who does? I don't, and I have never heard of any either. I've heard of twelve hour shifts, and other arrangements, but, I'm sorry, I don't think there is anyone working 80 hours per week.

Since ignorant does not mean mentally incapable, just unaware,ignorant applies to the bolded statement you made.
It's a pretty safe bet that I am not the only one on this forum that has or knows people that have, worked two full time jobs.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:50 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
What kind of questions are those?

I started out making minimum wage at one time (actually more than once — three different jobs I started at minimum). That's where people generally start when they enter the workforce, unless they have a degree in something, and can land a good paying job right off the bat in their chosen career [rare].

I would say, to address your second question, that most people work hard at their jobs no matter how much they make. If they don't, they will be fired. Let's be real. When you are hired, no matter what the job, you are expected to work hard and earn your money.

Why do some people seem to think that it is a "country club" at the top?

My wife spent many years as a retail department store manager (I'm talking about the whole store, not just a department, though she worked her way up and was a department manager too for a long while). She rarely came home before 8:00 PM, and was usually out of the house before I was. It was my resonsibiltiy to get the kids breakfast and off to day care (and later school) She was long gone by that time. She didn't make that much money either, for what was expected of her. A store manager is responsible for the profitability of that store. And she had to do the budgets too.

People think that those on salaries don't work. Wrong! They work harder. And they give up a lot of family time too.

Funny but everytime I drive by the Buckhead Country Club at 3 in the afternoon there sure are lots of golfers out there! Sure looks like hard work to me!

Old 03-03-2009, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Your boy is the one trying to bail out the arts...
Who was the President when the whole "money for the arts" thing started? Who signed off on it? Wasn't this one! It was..... RR

Old 03-03-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:

If you work a 7 day schedule you can do it but it still is not going to make you rich and you will probably drop dead by 50.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:09 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eathey View Post
I don't know how people can say that the rich don't pay their share.
Because the haters won't be happy until the rich have as little as they do.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I agree that taxation is bad. I also do not think taxation should be used as a punishment tool (as some people on the far left would like). Taxation should serve only to support our nation functioning. Naturally those who can afford will pay more then the poor.
This may be the only part of your post that I agree with, except that I would add that the purpose of the government is not to distribute money to others that it has taken from someone else. The purpose of government is spelled out in the first paragraph of the Constitution, and "promote the general welfare" is not a reference to providing welfare to the poor, as some people are led to believe; it is creating a climate where business can flourish and people can prosper.

Quote:
What are you talking about? Class envy precedes the democratic party and probably dates back to England. It will always be there, regardless who the ruling party is.
Look. Lets not be silly. Of course I know that. But in the United States of America, a Representative Republic, where "all men our created equal" (which I do believe), from our founding, we have never been a country that has "ruling class" and a "working class".

But the Democrats, have always been the party to pit "poor" against "rich", disparaging the so-called "rich", punishing achievement, and telling the "working people" that the "rich" got that way by taking from them. That is a lie, and you know it.
Quote:
I am at lost. Should I start digging ditches, flip burgers, or deliver pizza? Should we clean dishes at restaurants, carry bricks to construction sites (that are idle) or make holes in the frozen lake? Maybe we should do all these, 24/7. BTW, which would make us wealthy? What exactly do you mean by hard work. It became a very fuzzy word.
Do whatever makes you happy. Do what you have to do. I did construction for a time when I needed a job after a layoff. I even sold furniture once for about three years. At present, I'm self employed, so one can make their own job. Just do what you have to do. What's stopping you?

Quote:
That's a good one. Bill Gates started MS at a time when it was possible.
And it's not possible now? It absolutely is, and people are doing it. What makes you think it's not possible? What a depressing attitude.

Quote:
He also had unique luck with IBM.
Luck with IBM? Bill Gates started his software company in his garage. I don't know about his association with IBM, except that some claim he "stole" a lot of technology from them; i.e. MSDOS vs DOS (IBM), I don't buy into that.

Bill Gates and the Apple guys, Woz and Steve Jobs, were friends, and collaborated on a lot of things too.

Quote:
Today, he wouldn't be able to replicate his success in the current economy.
Bunk! Smart people can achieve success no matter what the current economy. They do not let it stop them.

Quote:
As for HP, the founding fathers children are out and say that it is not the company their fathers envisioned and built. It is a conglomerate made by Wall Street with acquisitions and mergers.

There is no resemblance of the original except the name. (From your post I get you are not a high tech person).
You apparently don't know the history of Apple Computer. Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak both worked at H.P. in Palo Alto, CA. They belonged to a computer club. Long story short, the first "Apple" as they called their little experimental computer, was born out of this. Everyone wanted one. They convinced Bank of America to loan them the money to buy the parts to build a quantity to sell, and they took off from their. They worked out of their garage, and probably some nights and weekends, eventually quitting their jobs at H.P., and Apple Computer was founded.

I spent many years in electronics, including some time as a field service tech for an oceanographic instruments company in San Diego, CA. We made underwater TV systems, including remote controlled vehicles, for the offshore oil and commercial diving industry.

Prior to that I was an audio and TV tech for a small repair company, and I was an electronic tech in the Navy (crypto tech). I went to electronics school at Treasure Island (San Francisco) in the Navy, and later to Crypto Repair School at Mare Island, Vallejo, CA.

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. Some don't have talent and some don't have the luck of those you mentioned above. And that has nothing to do with hard work (as you may elude uninformed/ ignorant dudes to think)
There is no such thing as "luck". Success, someone said is 80% perspiration, and 20% inspiration.

How sad that you don't know what "hard work" means. It isn't always physical effort. It can be, and is, also mental work.

No one can be successful without it. You seem to be of the opinion that it just falls in the lap of some people. It doesn't.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If you work a 7 day schedule you can do it but it still is not going to make you rich and you will probably drop dead by 50.
I think the concept that a lot of you are missing here, and just don't seem to "get", is that hard work is not just physical effort. "Hard work" is also mental work. It is also pounding the pavement, so to speak, selling your product or idea, marketing it, development.

Why do some people think that "hard work" only refers to "phyical labor"?

There are a lot of way to become wealthy. They all involve work.

Very few people in this world have wealth handed to them.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinDenver View Post
'I am at lost. Should I start digging ditches, flip burgers, or deliver pizza? Should we clean dishes at restaurants, carry bricks to construction sites (that are idle) or make holes in the frozen lake to fish? Which of these activities would make us wealthy?'

Yes. And work your way up. If you are a good burger flipper, maybe you can become a manager your own place. Own your own restaurant. Nothing happens instantly!
I think, based on the above, you are destined to be poor all your life. You seem to have no drive, and do not understand the basic concepts of work. In other words, no work ethic. You will probably always be just a laborer. Nothing more.

However, if you join a local union, that makes sure you get paid far more than you're worth, and you learn to save and invest, you might become well off. (facetious)

Old 03-03-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Because the haters won't be happy until the rich have as little as they do.
Isn't it sad that so many people would rather have the government steal the wealth of others and give it to them, than to earn it themselves.

I do not understand how this could make anyone feel good about themselves. I would always feel like a slacker, or thief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies