Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:21 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

Seems like a lot of people are claiming to be Fiscal Conservatives but I haven't heard anything about fiscal conservatism over the last 8 years so when did this fad begin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 05:27 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Fiscal Conservatives never spoke out again Bush because they were part of a so called 'united front' against the Democrats. Now that Bush is out of the picture, fiscal Conservatives can speak out against massive spending without fear of retribution within their own ranks. A divided house can not stand, and if the Republicans showed any hint of divisiveness during the Bush years, the Democrats probably would have won the 2004 election, and taken more ground in 2006.

For example, now that a Democrat is back in office, it is unlikely that we will hear of any resistance from within the party itself. I consider the Democratic party to be a loose confederation of very different factions held together by a hate for Republicans. Show the slightest faltering, and there goes your united front..

Old 03-02-2009, 05:29 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,848,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Fiscal Conservatives never spoke out again Bush because they were part of a so called 'united front' against the Democrats. Now that Bush is out of the picture, fiscal Conservatives can speak out against massive spending without fear of retribution within their own ranks. A divided house can not stand, and if the Republicans showed any hint of divisiveness during the Bush years, the Democrats probably would have won the 2004 election, and taken more ground in 2006.

For example, now that a Democrat is back in office, it is unlikely that we will hear of any resistance from within the party itself. I consider the Democratic party to be a loose confederation of very different factions held together by a hate for Republicans. Show the slightest faltering, and there goes your united front..
Give us an example of a President that was a fiscal conservative? In modern times please!

Old 03-02-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Fiscal Conservatives never spoke out again Bush because they were part of a so called 'united front' against the Democrats.
Ok, I can buy that, I'll leave the mischaracterization of the Democrats for another time and place, so what you are saying is political unity trumped principle and now that the cows are long gone from the barn, fiscally speaking, it's now time to close the gates?

Old 03-02-2009, 05:35 PM

Another question, was being a Fiscal Conservative® during the Bush years similar to being gay in the military? Don't ask, don't tell?

Old 03-02-2009, 05:35 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
I consider the Democratic party to be a loose confederation of very different factions held together by a hate for Republicans. Show the slightest faltering, and there goes your united front..
I disagree. Since the core Democrat strategy is to make people grateful for, dependent upon, and/or employed by the government, gains made by that party tend to supersede ideological concerns and last for generations, as additional family members go on the government payroll, are added to the entitlement rolls, and seek spiritual fulfillment via "acceptable" and legal (i.e., non-Christian) means, e.g., the faith in government as an omniscient savior.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I disagree. Since the core Democrat strategy is to make people grateful for, dependent upon, and/or employed by the government, gains made by that party tend to supersede ideological concerns and last for generations, as additional family members go on the government payroll, are added to the entitlement rolls, and seek spiritual fulfillment via "acceptable" and legal (i.e., non-Christian) means, e.g., the faith in government as an omniscient savior.
Of course it couldn't be that the public desires greater government goods and services, heaven forbid that they should look around an take note of their dilapidated schools and highways or notice that no other sector of the country is stepping up to the plate to resolve long standing problems. No that couldn't be the reason.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:49 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Give us an example of a President that was a fiscal conservative? In modern times please!
Well, Reagan comes to mind as closest, and probably would have been a great example had he not blown so much money on the military..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ok, I can buy that, I'll leave the mischaracterization of the Democrats for another time and place, so what you are saying is political unity trumped principle and now that the cows are long gone from the barn, fiscally speaking, it's now time to close the gates?
Indeed. Political unity certainly trumps the warring factions within. If you become your own worst enemy, you will inevitably lose. The Democrats had this problem in the 80s, they failed to unify under a common cause until 1992.

Quote:
Another question, was being a Fiscal Conservative® during the Bush years similar to being gay in the military? Don't ask, don't tell?
..It sure seems that way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Good point. It seems that the Democrats capitalize on sensationalism and populism in order to woo voters. That is probably why celebirty endorsements are welcomed with open arms by the DNC. The interesting thing about it is the fact that Democrats need people to be dependent on the government, and see that it can serve a productive purpose. I suspect that is where the concept of the Democrats needing the poor to stay poor comes in. If they move up to the middle class they would probably jump parties.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:50 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,848,248 times
Quote:
Seems like a lot of people are claiming to be Fiscal Conservatives but I haven't heard anything about fiscal conservatism over the last 8 years so when did this fad begin?
They always sell us on their candidates being fiscally responsible, work hard on getting them reelected and then abandon them when they turn out to be utter failures. The only one they keep is Reagan who was far from a conservative.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:59 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
You should have seen them when Bush started talking about the missions to Mars.

They were more than ready to support spending millions of tax dollars to send a Tomka truck with a webcam to Mars to find out if it's really red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies