Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:26 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,618,530 times

Advertisements

This is a staggering statistic. The health care crisis in this country is a major national embarrassment - and I am glad that we finally have a president who is going to take on the tough problems - instead of leave them for his successors...

Americans aged 19 - 29 are the largest uninsured group in the country.

Many of them have jobs - but either do not have employer provided health insurance, or cannot afford it, or are not yet eligible for it because they haven't worked in their job for at least a year.

We desperately need National Health Care!!!

Go Obama!!!

The plight of young, uninsured Americans - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 06:32 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,016,930 times
Unfortunately some hard headed people on this board will dismiss this as "they just don't want insurance" because "they feel it's a wasted"..etc etc etc.

But notice that the largest percentage is 30 - 35.. at 23% . Definately NOT the invincible feeling age (I fall into that age group of uninsured). NOt having insurance is NOT something I could do but chose not to.. I just can't afford to!!

They also go along with the statistics on income/etc. Basically a younger person is newer to the job and making far less than their older counterparts and thereby can't afford insurance. AND even if it is provided by their employer and money is removed from their check , they can not afford to have that money taken out of their check..otherwise they wont' be able to pay their bills. I remember my 20's well.. VERY difficult to make ends meet then (nad yes, now too).

Old 03-07-2009, 06:36 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,846,421 times
Totally agree!

We would be a nation without a conscience or heart if we didn't find a way for everyone to receive the healthcare they need.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Unfortunately some hard headed people on this board will dismiss this as "they just don't want insurance" because "they feel it's a wasted"..etc etc etc.

But notice that the largest percentage is 30 - 35.. at 23% . Definately NOT the invincible feeling age (I fall into that age group of uninsured). NOt having insurance is NOT something I could do but chose not to.. I just can't afford to!!

They also go along with the statistics on income/etc. Basically a younger person is newer to the job and making far less than their older counterparts and thereby can't afford insurance. AND even if it is provided by their employer and money is removed from their check , they can not afford to have that money taken out of their check..otherwise they wont' be able to pay their bills. I remember my 20's well.. VERY difficult to make ends meet then (nad yes, now too).
The ones who post against National Health Care simply don't want to pay one red cent in additional taxes to help their fellow American... and who cares what they think in the first place?

The tide for national health care is coming in - and no amount of temper tantrums from the well off is going to stop it...

All I can say is - It's About Time!!!

Old 03-07-2009, 06:39 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,016,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
The ones who post against National Health Care simply don't want to pay one red cent in additional taxes to help their fellow American... and who cares what they think in the first place?

The tide for national health care is coming in - and no amount of temper tantrums from the well off is going to stop it...

All I can say is - It's About Time!!!
LOL.I totally agree. . I have been saying that on these boards for months and months now!! Reps to you.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:39 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,960,029 times
Hey, we can just tax the rich some more and let them pick up the tab right?

Old 03-07-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Hey, we can just tax the rich some more and let them pick up the tab right?
Sounds like an EXCELLENT idea to me!!! Thanks for suggesting it!!!

Old 03-07-2009, 07:02 PM

488 posts, read 1,177,417 times
The only problem with that is eventually you run out of other peoples' money, as Margaret Thatcher once said.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:05 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,960,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
The only problem with that is eventually you run out of other peoples' money, as Margaret Thatcher once said.
Then they will just move on down to the next highest income bracket.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
Not a good analogy.

Everyone will be paying into the system - just as they do with Social Security and Medicare today - and those systems are more efficient than private health insurance is today...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies