Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:53 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 02:22 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
After reading the replies on the wolf thread...I see why Sarah Palin is so popular.
I really wish we could somehow confine the AK residents to Getmo, Cuba and forget about them........

While you're at it, are there any other "undesireable" types you'd like your government to round up, imprison and forget about?

Are you a "Progressive"?

Old 03-12-2009, 05:01 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TITAN 777 View Post
Excuse me, you have the audacity to refer to me as a " freak " ?? I don't think so and furthermore none of what I speak is garbage. If you read all the posts of the great alaskans on here you will see that they are truly off key. Totally not relevent to the part of the wolf hunt that " we " are opposed to. The cash flow of the animal rights organizations would not be affected if there was no aerial wolf hunting going on. There are millions of people who have a little more compassion for the pain an animal experiences at the hands of " humans " that are truly not worthy to be called that. So if the Alaska voter could stop this program, what's the problem. From the posts I have read on here none of these so called alaskans see anything wrong with the program. They don't seem to have any sort of compassion for any sort of pain inflicted upon these poor wolves. And yes oh my gosh, I have called them poor wolves. Any animal is a " poor " animal when cruelty from the hands of wonderful humans is the cause. Perhaps the alaskans should go to Ingrid Kirkman from Peta to learn compassion for an animal, you know like Michael Vick did.

You know nothing of Alaska, but then your a Floridian, that place where they wrestle alligators and has bugs bigger then your hand. You also know nothing of what Alaskans feel towards this; many are against it but we sure don't need "know-nothing" people who don't have a clue as to what's going on in AK. butting their noses in. Surely there must be issues there in Florida Land that concern you. And, PETA LOL, LMFAO, give me a break! You mean that organization that takes in big bucks from suckers and spends it on lawyers and lawsuits. Do some research and see how many dogs PETA has put down and not in a humane way. Now hurry and go clean up your own State before worrying about a more superior State such as AK.!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:51 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Excuse me, you have the audacity to refer to me as a " freak " ?? I don't think so and furthermore none of what I speak is garbage. If you read all the posts of the great alaskans on here you will see that they are truly off key. Totally not relevent to the part of the wolf hunt that " we " are opposed to. The cash flow of the animal rights organizations would not be affected if there was no aerial wolf hunting going on. There are millions of people who have a little more compassion for the pain an animal experiences at the hands of " humans " that are truly not worthy to be called that. So if the Alaska voter could stop this program, what's the problem. From the posts I have read on here none of these so called alaskans see anything wrong with the program. They don't seem to have any sort of compassion for any sort of pain inflicted upon these poor wolves. And yes oh my gosh, I have called them poor wolves. Any animal is a " poor " animal when cruelty from the hands of wonderful humans is the cause. Perhaps the alaskans should go to Ingrid Kirkman from Peta to learn compassion for an animal, you know like Michael Vick did.
Does a wolf feel any different when it's shot by a person on the ground or by a person in the air?

Old 03-12-2009, 11:22 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Yes, I do have the audicity to do so.

What you aren't understanding is that not everyone in AK is flying about gunning down wolves or anything else.

You are trying to lump us all in with the Palinistas and personally I find that offensive. I voted neither for the current governor or for the continuation of the aerial predator control program.

But mindsets such as yours were instrumental in alientating the Alaska voter away from your cause. You did the wolves no favors there.

And PETA et al have milked the aerial situation in AK for quite a bit of cash.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:56 AM

Truly disgusting:

Animal Cruelty at Vanishing Species Wildlife in Davie, Florida -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/community/news/davie/sfl-animal-cruelty-pg,0,2528792.photogallery - broken link)

Looks like there's some pretty sick people in the state of Florida:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...k_side_of.html

Old 03-12-2009, 03:57 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
After reading the replies on the wolf thread...I see why Sarah Palin is so popular.
I really wish we could somehow confine the AK residents to Getmo, Cuba and forget about them.
Maybe then they'd see the irony of their own torturous policy.

I mean it really is insane reading their excuses.
According to the average AK person Aerial Hunting is fine because

A) It helps to preserve wildlife
B) The wolves are overpopulated
C) Wolves are cruel
D) This is helping the wolves
and the orphans

So this assumes we are to believe

1) People who condone animal cruelty on one species is genuinely concerned with the well being of other species and nature in general.
If that isn't hypocrisy or BS...what is.

2) This also assumes that IF the Moose and other species are lower...that the wolves are to blame.
-It wouldn't be perhaps the sprawl and loss of habitat in Alaska itself..or any contributions from man.
-Nope...just the wolves.

3) That the wolves are causing SUCH a problem and SO overpopulated they need to be hunted for SIXTY Miles by plane.
-Usually when a species is overpopulated you don't chase it SIXTY miles, you can find dozens of them scattered all over the place much closer. When you have to pursue them for an hour it likely means there aren't that many to begin with.

4) If the wolves are such a problem...why is this occurring in barren, northern parts of the state? These areas have not be inhabitated historically...so the argument they harm domestic herds is absurd since they likely don't exist in these areas.
-If they did...wouldn't the friendly fire be likely to kill some of these animals and local residents?
-Aerial hunting is something which usually happens in uninhabited areas...are you people so desperate to savagely kill you'd do it in a human neighborhood.
-This begs the question...if the wolves are such a problem...why are you flying airplanes to barren regions?
-If they are such a problem...shouldn't you spot dozens of them in your back yard?
-This isn't like New Jersey or California were black bears are sifting through the garbage in subdivisions.
-We are talking about the tundra.

5) If the wolves are such a problem...you mean to tell me there is NO other humane way besides aerial hunting to fix the problem?
None?
-Do you not have an imagination...or is it just limited to finding ways to support animal torture.

6) Another fine argument is this "helps" the wolves by reducing the amount of violent deaths?
-How?
-When a wolf kills...it is instantaneous and for food, survival. How does that compare to being chased SIXTY miles worried to death while saw slack jawed redneck laughs and shots for sport as you "give up" and succumb to a death in vein?

-How does this "help" reduce violent deaths? I can think of no worse way to go then being tortured for hours before giving up my life.
-Also...what about the wolf orphans.
-Ever think of that...I'm sure that's helpful to have them starve to death or be another easy kill.

7) Lastly...how can ANY humane person consider aerial hunting NOT torture.
-Do you even have to think about it?
-How is killing a wold by airplane even equatable to nature's checks and balances?
-When animals kill animals it is done INSTANTLY for food and survival.
-It is done TORTURING an animal with an manmade aircraft for hours for RECREATION.
-The wolf is so horrified they actually give up after fighting for their lives...they those "violent" predators as YOU call them give up...and leave their pups as orphans.
-Yep...that's humane...and not torture.

How you people can condone this policy...how can make up INSANE arguments that is a compassionate way to control nature's population is completely absurd.
It's no different than somebody justifying rape as being recreation, it really isn't.
I wish you people inhabitated some desolate area...like Japan after the A-bombs...because an area without nature's beauty...an area built on death and man made destruction is really the best place for you.
Not only do you deserve it...but it's the only place where you won't hurt OUR planet...OUR wildlife..and OUR resources.
Just like a rapist belongs in prison isolation.
Ah, yes. Only a childlike lib could reach the conclusion that rape is like managing wildlife. I guarantee if you or someone you loved was raped, it might just have a tad dif meaning.

Have you ever seen a pack of wolves and how they torture a dear or small cow? Quite disturbing.

Oh, and just for fun. Look at your feet. Have you wrapped them with ferns lately?

Old 03-13-2009, 01:11 AM

I'm Yup'ik Eskimo, my people were here for eons before the gold was discovered and we are proud to live here today. No one is brought up to mistreat animals (most of everyone) and we don't take more than we need. This has been going on for generations. The only time meat is wasted is when people from the lesser 48 states come up for a rack on their wall. Of course, waste happens once in a while with the native population, but on rare occasions. You have no idea what happens out here in western Alaska and you can't seem to get through your thick Caucasian head what we do on a seasonal basis.
We depend on what we have on the land, you depend on your SUV or Cadillac car to go get your food. Sure, we have shopping stores here, but a lot of people want and do eat the traditional food over a cow from the states. Out here on the Kuskokwim, we are at the end of a five year moratorium and we should be able to go hunting this fall.

Lower Kuskokwim River Moose Hunters Bite the Bullet

The moose are now showing to be more plentiful.
Moose hunting moratorium begins to show results | APRN (http://aprn.org/2008/04/29/moose-hunting-moratorium-begins-to-show-results/ - broken link)

Tundra Medicine Dreams: Hunting Moose

We are going to have a hunt here this fall, finally after five years of no hunting. Wolves have killed a lot of the moose along with brown bears.
The Tundra Drums - Game Board approves fall moose hunt on lower Kuskowkim

You can't tell me that we are cruel to the wolves. I'm a Yup'ik Eskimo and I'm proud of my heritage. You have to stop calling us cruel. If you can't get this through that noggin of yours, please go get help for yourself.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:11 PM

Read this and learn!

DefendersofWildFood.org

Old 03-13-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
4) If the wolves are such a problem...why is this occurring in barren, northern parts of the state? These areas have not be inhabitated historically...so the argument they harm domestic herds is absurd since they likely don't exist in these areas.
Like hell they haven't. They have been inhabited for over 13,000 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies