Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:23 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times

Advertisements

Coming soon to a bookstore near you!

Seymour Hersh: 'Executive Assassination Ring' Reported Directly to Cheney Office | Rights and Liberties | AlterNet (http://www.alternet.org/blogs/rights/131144/seymour_hersh:_%27executive_assassination_ring%27_ reported_directly_to_cheney_office/ - broken link)
Quote:
"After 9/11, I haven't written about this yet, but the Central Intelligence Agency was very deeply involved in domestic activities against people they thought to be enemies of the state. Without any legal authority for it. They haven’t been called on it yet. That does happen.
The article further goes on to say:

the Joint Special Operations Command -- JSOC it’s called was to report to Dick Cheney's office only.

Congress has no oversight of it

Members would carry out assassinations on list with Presidential authority outside of regional station chief's and ambassadors.

...WOW...

So, if any of this pans out to be true and evidence given, should not people submit to their government some form of mandate to protect the Constitution in times of crisis or to prevent such a thing from occurring?

I find myself struggling to believe this on one hand but knowing Cheny's career of consolidating power into the Executive Branch, would it really be that much of a surprise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 06:28 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,813,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Coming soon to a bookstore near you!

Seymour Hersh: 'Executive Assassination Ring' Reported Directly to Cheney Office | Rights and Liberties | AlterNet (http://www.alternet.org/blogs/rights/131144/seymour_hersh:_%27executive_assassination_ring%27_ reported_directly_to_cheney_office/ - broken link)

The article further goes on to say:

the Joint Special Operations Command -- JSOC it’s called was to report to Dick Cheney's office only.

Congress has no oversight of it

Members would carry out assassinations on list with Presidential authority outside of regional station chief's and ambassadors.

...WOW...

So, if any of this pans out to be true and evidence given, should not people submit to their government some form of mandate to protect the Constitution in times of crisis or to prevent such a thing from occurring?

I find myself struggling to believe this on one hand but knowing Cheny's career of consolidating power into the Executive Branch, would it really be that much of a surprise?
Seymour is one of the few I would trust - I don't think it's a secret that black-ops were running rampant during the Cheney years.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:06 PM

Well the very notion of the CIA being deeply involved in domestic activities centering around the premise of "enemies of the state" by its own government is just mind bending. As more of these memo's and tid bits such as Hersch's assertions continue to trickle out into the press, it begs one to wonder just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:13 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
Quite honestly this doesn't surprise me. I will only be surprised if the Justice Department ever does anything to call the criminals to account. When I hear of the presidents of other countries being labeled international criminals with warrants issued for their arrest I find myself wondering if we will ever find the Hague issuing warrants for Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfield.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 PM

It does make one wonder what an administration has to do in this day in age to actually get prosecuted or even investigated. Signals from the Obama administration thus far have been along the lines of "oh let bygone's be bygones and pay not mind to possibly being on the edge brown shirts and jack boots"

Old 03-11-2009, 08:45 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Quite honestly this doesn't surprise me. I will only be surprised if the Justice Department ever does anything to call the criminals to account. When I hear of the presidents of other countries being labeled international criminals with warrants issued for their arrest I find myself wondering if we will ever find the Hague issuing warrants for Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfield.
Let's not forget Rice, Gonzales and Rove. Hang 'em high!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:15 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
It does make one wonder what an administration has to do in this day in age to actually get prosecuted or even investigated. Signals from the Obama administration thus far have been along the lines of "oh let bygone's be bygones and pay not mind to possibly being on the edge brown shirts and jack boots"
I can't help but picture Dick Nixon rolling in his grave and yelling; "I didn't do anything 1/10th as bad as this bunch and look what they did to me. Where's the justice?"

Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 PM

HA HA the very thought of Nixon pointing a finger and saying... hey wait a min! Thing is, Dick Cheney is said to have told Nixon to fight his detractors and remain in office. Cheney has always been of the opinion that the office of President was something beyond what the Constitution laid out.

However, if these revelations which Hersch seems to be stating are true, we have hit an all new level of audacity

Old 03-11-2009, 09:20 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
We MUST initiate a TRUTH COMMISSION to honestly and accurately determine the level of criminality established as "law" under the neocons.

Even if there were not two violent, open ended and deadly wars the U.S. was embroiled in, the 1200 signing statements issued by Bush to usurp the Constitution was cause enough to be sickened by abuse of power, but lying to start wars and coordinating teams that assassinate whoever Dick decided needed killing is too illegal to ignore.

PROMISE NO IMMUNITY TO ANYONE

Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
We MUST initiate a TRUTH COMMISSION to honestly and accurately determine the level of criminality established as "law" under the neocons.

Even if there were not two violent, open ended and deadly wars the U.S. was embroiled in, the 1200 signing statements issued by Bush to usurp the Constitution was cause enough to be sickened by abuse of power, but lying to start wars and coordinating teams that assassinate whoever Dick decided needed killing is too illegal to ignore.

PROMISE NO IMMUNITY TO ANYONE

Well, I'm all for an investigation, but I sure hope they drop the "truth commission" as it has such a Stalin like ring to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies