Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:46 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times

Advertisements

No. I have friends who range from conservative to liberal and to both exremes, and I don't allow their politics to have a negative impact on our friendship. We are tolerant and respectful of one another's views, and are able to laugh about it in the end. For what it's worth, I think it's much easier to lose a cyber-friend over politics (on forums like this and any other) since their is something missing in the written word as opposed to having a face to face discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 08:50 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I get more upset with educated friends who don't know anything at all about politics (don't know hot issues, don't know who Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid are, don't know heads of countries or people in the President's cabinet, or anything they've done) and yet they still vote Democrat on Election Day. I don't discuss politics with them because they don't know anything and that's how they stay my friends.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:04 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I get more upset with educated friends who don't know anything at all about politics (don't know hot issues, don't know who Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid are, don't know heads of countries or people in the President's cabinet, or anything they've done) and yet they still vote Democrat on Election Day. I don't discuss politics with them because they don't know anything and that's how they stay my friends.
To be fair, I know several people who vote Republican as well without knowing anything about politics... I used to ask who the Secretary of State was and actually got the response "Dick Cheney".

Old 04-13-2009, 09:31 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
I lost a bunch over the invasion of Iraq, none of whom do I miss.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:36 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
How can you lose a friend over something that requires every 1 or 2 elections cycles that you to turn around and defend everything you just blasted your opponent on for 2 or 4 years? That would mean whoever decided to end the relationship also has a hard time seeing the hypocrisy of American politics, or at least as it has been for a few decades now, probably longer.

Example... all the harking over Iraq and the "neocon" movement. Those people are trying very hard to deal with the new "neoliberal" movement. Some will admit it, many will not.

"My armchair quarterbacking is better than yours"

Old 04-13-2009, 09:48 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
To be fair, I know several people who vote Republican as well without knowing anything about politics... I used to ask who the Secretary of State was and actually got the response "Dick Cheney".

Absolutely. Both Republicans and Democrats are guilty of this.

My biggest issue with either side is when someone takes quotes out of context and tries to imply something that was never meant in the first place. Unfortunately, my (extremely conservative) dad does this all the time. He is an intelligent man, but he falls for some of the strangest stuff.

I also think it's wrong to paint people with a broad brush. Not "all" Democrats don't feel the same way about all things, nor do "all" Republicans feel the same way. There are varying degrees of all political views. I am quite conservative on some issues, and much less so on others. I would say most, if not all, of my real life friends are the same way.

When we look at things as only black and white, we do (IMHO) a great disservice to ourselves. I am fortunate to have friends who I can agree or disagree with and still maintain a wonderful relationship. I can't imagine losing a single friend over politics.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:50 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,210,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
How can you lose a friend over something that requires every 1 or 2 elections cycles that you to turn around and defend everything you just blasted your opponent on for 2 or 4 years? That would mean whoever decided to end the relationship also has a hard time seeing the hypocrisy of American politics, or at least as it has been for a few decades now, probably longer.

Example... all the harking over Iraq and the "neocon" movement. Those people are trying very hard to deal with the new "neoliberal" movement. Some will admit it, many will not.

"My armchair quarterbacking is better than yours"
I guess it depends on how intense the issues are going through the current election cycle. The true colors are truly revealed. It never occurred to me on how a couple of the friends I no longer correspond where so racist...

Old 04-13-2009, 09:50 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,713 times
Wink Sort of!

I use to be a Republican! Have mercy on me!!

But I cannot be a Democrat either. Most of my friends are Republicans, we have huge debates on what is needed to fix our countries economic problems.

They mostly say: that we need to cut taxes.

I say for who? That doesn't work, as you can clearly see how our economy is today.

I always tell them that they follow Reaganomics, I sort of like L B Johnson's plan.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:59 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
I guess it depends on how intense the issues are going through the current election cycle. The true colors are truly revealed. It never occurred to me on how a couple of the friends I no longer correspond where so racist...
I did find myself very shocked at some of the racist things I heard from people in my life during this election. None of them were people I really consider friends, but I was still quite surprised. If they had been friends, they would be no longer. I do not want racists in my life.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:03 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
You were hanging out with people you had no clue were racist? That has nothing to do with politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies