Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:09 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times

Advertisements

Quite frankly, if you allow politics to destroy a friendship, you couldn't have been worth being friends with in the first place.

Here's the deal. With the exception of Neo-Nazis, there are well-meaning, intelligent, and conscientious people on all sides of the political equation. And anybody who thinks they have the corner on political wisdom is either arrogant or deluded. Hey, maybe both. For believing that your side is 100% on the side of angels, or that your political persuasion is the "smart" choice is smug beyond belief.

I have friends with whom I profoundly disagree politically. At the same time, we have polite and respectful exchanges of views. And then we move on. That's what mature adults do, for it is not a blood sport. You aren't going to convince the other person.

As a corollary to my point, I'll also add this: People who are so obsessed with politics of any stripe that it dictates their friendships are very shallow and one-dimensional people. You should avoid them at all costs, for they are truly sad individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 10:12 AM

186 posts, read 794,654 times
Not yet! But a couple of friends relentlessly forward crackpot political c**p to me, most of it from dubious religious based far right sources even they know very well I have different views. I find it really, really annoying but I just delete and try to avoid talking politics with them.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:17 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Forums like this are great because those interested can come together and discuss and express things that are often not appropiate to do so among friends,family and person to person in general.

Sometimes I disagree with posters here,sometimes I feel disappointment and anger.But if you were face to face to me you would see a friendly smile after our exchange,something you don't see because we post to a forum.

There is no reason to become consumed in politics to the point in is your main concern in life.With our system politics is like changing seasons,if you don't like winter summer will come around again and winter will again also.

I have friends I agree with almost completely,some I agree with sometimes,some almost never.But even those that are widely different they have attributes worthy of being friends with and politics is not worth loosing their friendship,so in their case we don't discuss it unless they ask a question on my viewpoint but I keep it from becoming too serious.

Life is about fun,as much as it can be,while I care about issues,in the end my life goes on.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:19 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,210,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugnubs View Post
Not yet! But a couple of friends relentlessly forward crackpot political c**p to me, most of it from dubious religious based far right sources even they know very well I have different views. I find it really, really annoying but I just delete and try to avoid talking politics with them.
How ironic. I had a friend of mine who lived in town and would pass a long emails from Rightwing 527 groups. I don't talk to him anymore...

Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
How ironic. I had a friend of mine who lived in town and would pass a long emails from Rightwing 527 groups. I don't talk to him anymore...
See, now a mature adult would reply, "You know, I am your friend, but I really don't agree with you politically. Would you mind stop filling my in-box with this stuff? Thanks! Let's get together soon."

Old 04-13-2009, 10:23 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Since I would never knowingly befriend a Republican to start with, no I have not lost any because I never had any to begin with.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Since I would never knowingly befriend a Republican to start with, no I have not lost any because I never had any to begin with.
Well, that's kind of shallow. Actually, that's really shallow.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:29 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
I would knowingly befriend a person that rarely agreed with me on politics and religion if we had other things in common,in my case guitar,music,shooting sports with a special pass going to women.

If you find a person who is decent,caring,friendly with similar interests despite politics & religion it is worth knowing them.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:36 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,833 times
Quote:
My best friend of 50+ years and I differ politically. We were unknowingly wise to choose each other before we knew anything about politics.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:39 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, that's kind of shallow. Actually, that's really shallow.
Very - because you may have missed out on traits that are far more precious than a friendship based on shared political thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies