Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2009, 04:57 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,309,323 times

Advertisements

-

President Barack Obama has repeatedly claimed that his budget would cut the deficit by half by the end of his term. But estimated Analysts have pointed out, given that Obama has already helped quadruple the deficit with his stimulus package, pledging to halve it by 2013 is hardly ambitious. The Washington Post has a great graphic which helps put President Obama’s budget deficits in context of President Bush’s. (see the bottom of this page)
What’s driving Obama’s unprecedented massive deficits? SPENDING

What Obama is going to fight for is massive increases in government spending; or, as he likes to call them, “investments.” Obama said the words “invest” or “investments” 22 times last night. He is staking his entire presidency on the belief that government-made decisions are a wiser and more efficient allocator of resources than the millions of individual decisions Americans make every day through a functioning free market. Obama believes massive new federal spending and control of the health, education and energy sectors will lead to better economic growth.

He is wrong. Between 1984 and 2004, real government per pupil expendi*tures increased by 49% and yet reading scores and high school graduation rates have either remained flat or declined. The federal government has been subsidizing “alternative” energy since the 70s and yet, alternative energies such as wind and solar power contribute only 1% of our nation’s energy needs. On health care the only thing sure about Obama’s plans is that they expand coverage in ways that explode costs, while his cost reduction measures fall short of the fundamental reforms needed to contain costs. If government controlled health care were such an economic life saver, then why is all of Europe in the same economic mess we are in?

Obama’s massive spending explosion will do nothing to create economic growth, but it will grow our federal deficit. Again, last night, President Barack Obama claimed that his budget would cut the deficit by half by the end of his term. Obama has already helped quadruple the deficit with his stimulus package, pledging to halve it by 2013 is hardly ambitious.

Finishing his opening remarks last night, Obama said: “At the end of the day, the best way to bring our deficit down in the long run is not with a budget that continues the very same policies that have led us to a narrow prosperity and massive debt. It’s with a budget that leads to broad economic growth by moving from an era of borrow and spend to one where we save and invest.” There is no saving in Obama’s budget. Only an acceleration of the borrow and spend policies that got us where we are today.

Don’t forget to send your Tea Bag on April 1 to the White House - Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 05:00 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,535,924 times
He may detest the rich, but he sure can spend with the best of them.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:27 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,244,934 times
I find it difficult to believe it will take a $9 trillion deficit PROJECTED over the next ten years to correct for the previous eight years ACTUAL.

Quote:
In the first independent analysis, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office concluded that President Obama's budget would rack up massive deficits even after the economy recovers, forcing the nation to borrow nearly $9.3 trillion over the next decade.

SOURCE: CBO, White House Office of Management and Budget | The Washington Post - March 21, 2009

Old 03-25-2009, 10:44 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,477,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
-

President Barack Obama has repeatedly claimed that his budget would cut the deficit by half by the end of his term. But estimated Analysts have pointed out, given that Obama has already helped quadruple the deficit with his stimulus package, pledging to halve it by 2013 is hardly ambitious. The Washington Post has a great graphic which helps put President Obama’s budget deficits in context of President Bush’s. (see the bottom of this page)
What’s driving Obama’s unprecedented massive deficits? SPENDING

What Obama is going to fight for is massive increases in government spending; or, as he likes to call them, “investments.” Obama said the words “invest” or “investments” 22 times last night. He is staking his entire presidency on the belief that government-made decisions are a wiser and more efficient allocator of resources than the millions of individual decisions Americans make every day through a functioning free market. Obama believes massive new federal spending and control of the health, education and energy sectors will lead to better economic growth.

He is wrong. Between 1984 and 2004, real government per pupil expendi*tures increased by 49% and yet reading scores and high school graduation rates have either remained flat or declined. The federal government has been subsidizing “alternative” energy since the 70s and yet, alternative energies such as wind and solar power contribute only 1% of our nation’s energy needs. On health care the only thing sure about Obama’s plans is that they expand coverage in ways that explode costs, while his cost reduction measures fall short of the fundamental reforms needed to contain costs. If government controlled health care were such an economic life saver, then why is all of Europe in the same economic mess we are in?

Obama’s massive spending explosion will do nothing to create economic growth, but it will grow our federal deficit. Again, last night, President Barack Obama claimed that his budget would cut the deficit by half by the end of his term. Obama has already helped quadruple the deficit with his stimulus package, pledging to halve it by 2013 is hardly ambitious.

Finishing his opening remarks last night, Obama said: “At the end of the day, the best way to bring our deficit down in the long run is not with a budget that continues the very same policies that have led us to a narrow prosperity and massive debt. It’s with a budget that leads to broad economic growth by moving from an era of borrow and spend to one where we save and invest.” There is no saving in Obama’s budget. Only an acceleration of the borrow and spend policies that got us where we are today.

Don’t forget to send your Tea Bag on April 1 to the White House - Peace

Yes dont forget to sent your tea bags on April 1, 2009 get them ready now so all you have to do is pop them in the mailbox.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:42 PM

492 posts, read 963,440 times
Can't we get an Obamacrat concurrence here? Or objection? I just read where one of them posted a link to the already improving economy.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:34 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,125,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladoSam View Post
Can't we get an Obamacrat concurrence here? Or objection? I just read where one of them posted a link to the already improving economy.
Well, I don't think I would qualify as an "Obamacrat" but I did support him in the last election. However, the amount of debt we are incurring is scaring me to death. I do think that we need to jump start the economy and I'm all for spending money on the deferred maintenance of things like roads, bridges, school buildings, etc. And I would like to see some tax rules changed so that it would be more advantageous for businesses to stay in the U.S. and hire U.S. workers. There are certainly other changes that need to be addressed at some point but not until the economy gets a lot better which, to me, means that people have stable, family sustaining jobs. I have grandchildren though and I don't want to pass a bankrupt country on to them. We NEVER should have started these stupid bailouts. That's just NUTS. Giving people, who have already shown that they can't handle money, more of OUR money to throw away. NUTS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies