Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,837,665 times

Advertisements

IMHO - There is only ONE LAW in this land that may implemented by the use of force.

People can believe in any religious law they want but they may not use the force of the government to enforce it and the may not use any physical coercion to enforce their law on anyone.

If women cover themselves out of fear of uncontrollable men them the men had better learn how to behave or face rape charges in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 09:00 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,785,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Maybe , like many American women did , they should grow a BRAIN and a BACKBONE and fight those stupid rules....most of which are designed to simply make women into property, cattle, for the weak spineless little boys they mistakenly call men.

Exactly!!

Old 06-29-2010, 09:58 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,907,264 times
American women were also taught that our "role" was to marry, have babies, and serve. If we did get jobs, or go to college, it was in many cases, an opportunity to NAB a man. As for Muslim women, I hope they find a balance. I don't care how they dress, and it can be a good thing to be a wife and mother, or a devoted religious person, but inner happiness and a personal sense of satisfaction should be the rule of law, not being forced into something they don't want or need.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:06 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,172,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post
i am a woman, a mother of 5, 2 of them girls, young woman actually. raised baptist, white, live in a 'lily white' liberal area of the country.
my understanding of the need to wear the veil is because men cant control themselves, so in order to do so, they control the object of their desire so that it is less desirable. the old testament also asks woman to cover themselves for the same reasons and in one of jesus' teachings he states (paraphrasing here) that if you have a part of you that is weak to remove that part. my understanding is that it is not supposed to be a matter of control, but a request that women consider the weakness of men and do them this favor so that they are not distracted from what they should be doing. if a woman chooses to cover her 'beauties' it does not show weakness or lack of a backbone on her part, but respect for herself and the men around her.""""

How convenient for the men...they rape, and then blame the woman and stone her to death.....how stupid to place ALL responsibility on women for MEN'S ACTIONS...their men sure must be weak drooling sex fiends...doesn't say much for them.

""" many religions do it in many different ways. it may sound like i favor the veil, i do not, i favor a womans right to choose for herself and not be forced, or whipped/beaten for not complying.""

HOW IS IT A CHOICE IF SHE IS BEATEN FOR NOT WEARING IT?

""my understanding of your concern regarding enforcement of sharia law is that in some other non islamic countries the muslim communities have developed their own justice system, creating a place for and placing their own people in positions to judge other muslims based on thier own beliefs. this goes outside of our justice system and only muslims are bound by the desicions made there. i could be mistaken, but i dont believe a non muslim can be taken to this court. (?) i assume your concern is that at some point these laws will become the law enforced on all people or that these people can/will be appointed/elected to positions of power inside our current legal system and bring their beliefs with them (?). i cant say it will never happen, it amazes me the things that happen now, but some of the things that are considered religious laws would take some major changes to our constitution, and again, correct me if i am wrong, but at least in our state, i've been told that any law before it is passed has to go to attorney general (?) to make sure it doesnt contradict exisitng laws or our constitution. and if someone were to make a desicion that contradicts constition, there are appeal courts all the way to the supreme court.
In this country LAW should overcome ANY stupid religious custom or practice......mutilating young African women should mean the death penalty.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:28 AM

473 posts, read 715,540 times
something to consider- victims of rape in the us rarely report- why? because of the public shame and what they have to go through in order to get justice. we may not stone our women to death for being raped, but we do torture them in many different ways. how many times do we hear talk about a womans reputation after she reports a rape or even just harrassment- especially if she is accusing someone of importance. we want our women in the us to be able to wear next to nothing if they choose, but then we cry that they are loose and asked for it if something happens. in every culture there are men who can control themselves and men who cant- and in every culture there are ways of dealing with it that seems awful to other cultures. these religions are just teaching a woman that modesty would help avoid some of these troubles. unfortunately in some of them, men take it to mean it is required and then they force a woman to abide. i am not in favor of that.

i agree with you on mutilating young women- again, another thing that is done because of men. men in those cultures do not want their women to be unfaithful, so they turn sex in to a painful and unenjoyable experience for the woman, yet they are often unfaithful to the wife, which in turn is causing the rise of hiv and aids among women there. unfair in my mind.

if we want to talk about womens rights around the world, i am right there with you. there are cultures that sell girls, as they are not considered of value, there are those that force young women to marry, usually older men. there are areas that a man can harm his wife to the point of killing her and it is not a crime. and even though some of these might be things that happen in a muslim society, they also happen in other religious envirnments. i just dont think any good can come of trying say all muslims treat their women this way and it is bad any more than it is for them to say that all women in the us are loose and easy.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:56 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,609,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Very true....and the first time someone picks up a sword to 'convert' someone, he should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law...not for his religion, but for 'using a sword'. Until then, it's all just 'talk'.....and no different in its actual effects on society, than the Reverend Fred Phelps of Kansas (Christian) preaching that "God Hates F*gs".....Phelps is free to voice his opinion...he is ONLY prevented from actually physically harming anyone, whether he feels God hates them or NOT.

Am I a devotee of fundamentalist Islamic belief? No, I'm not...I think it's a violent, misogynistic, backward, hateful 13th-Century cult. But under our laws, and in accordance with our love-affair with multiculturalism, Islamic fundamentalism is no different from any other religion..its beliefs are protected by law.

If we don't like THAT fact, we're going to have to back off and re-think some of our beliefs regarding multiculturalism (maybe all cultures are NOT equally good), and our single-minded approach to 'tolerance' (maybe SOME lifestyles and beliefs should NOT be tolerated)....until THEN, I'm afraid we're stuck with "Islamic fundamentalism" being just another way of life...like Lutheranism, Mormonism, Catholicism, or Judaism....you can't have it both ways.
That's what they want, to have their cake and eat it to. All the while misinterpreting the Constitution to further their gain. I've often wonder what will it be with those who frown on public prayer, with the Muslims that pray five times a day; who are establishing their lives in America.

I guess take 'em to court and say, 'we need freedom from expression?'
~ I shake my head ~

It seems we want multiculturalism as long as other cultures convert to the western cultures. I foresee riots in our streets as the two head strong cultures butt their heads with one another. Another civil war...could happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies