Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:51 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times

Advertisements

Think we will have any US automakers left?

BTW: A new White House position will be created to oversee the process - Director of Recovery for Auto Workers and Communities.
Wonder if this is a temp position or another new permanent position in govt? Well, at least he wasn't called a czar. That name for a WH position has questionable connotations.

Quote:
More interesting to note, the Fiat-Chrysler partnership would also bestow Fiat with access to Chrysler’s North American production facilities as well as a vehicle (no pun intended) for introducing Fiat vehicles into the United States market.

In our continuing effort to build a profitable enterprise for the future, we are announcing today that Cerberus, Chrysler LLC and Fiat S.p.A. have entered .....

As a condition of the U.S. government loan agreement, all constituents will be asked to contribute to Chrysler’s restructuring effort including: lenders, employees, the UAW, dealers, suppliers and Chrysler Financial.
Fiat, Chrysler, & Cerberus Announce “Global Strategic Alliance”
Quote:
Frustrated administration officials said Chrysler cannot function as an independent company under its current plan. They have given Chrysler a 30-day window to complete a proposed partnership with Italian automaker Fiat SpA, and will offer up to $6 billion to the companies if they can negotiate a deal before time runs out.

If a Chrysler-Fiat union cannot be completed, Washington plans to walk away, leave Chrysler destined for a complete sell-off. No other money is available. Obama denies bailout funds for automakers - Autos- msnbc.com
Chrysler Fiat -- Autoblog

Quote:
The president will also name a Director of Recovery for Auto Workers and Communities. Edward Montgomery, labor economist and former Deputy Secretary of Labor, will serve in the role, helping autoworkers, communities, and regions adversely impacted by the failure of the automakers find new jobs, businesses, and industries. President Obama Tells Automakers Their Viability Plans Are Lemons - Political Punch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 07:03 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
ok ok ok .... I know I'll be crucified, but this whole automaker thing just reeks.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:10 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,908 times
Wow, I don't ever seem to agree with ANYTHING this potus does.

Let me preface with I am completely against all the $ he is and will spend....and think it needs to cease.

When you are in credit card debt up to your neck, do you continue buying? Or, do you cut up the credit cards and make some definite and drastic changes...? I'd say the latter is the correct answer. But, that's just me using some common sense.

In this instance though, with the auto dealers/makers, I believe that the 'LOAN' that they are requesting should be granted.

If it's not, and they flounder and go completely under, look how many hundreds of thousands of jobs are going to be lost!

As the Michigan governor said in the attached video of one of the links posted, all car parts including and down to the rubber, cloth (carpet and seats), head/tail lights, leather, mechanical, electrical etc etc and on and on.....ALL THOSE PERSON'S JOBS ARE AT STAKE!

If thousands, maybe millions more jobs are lost due to this most recent poor decision by the potus......this recession will def get much deeper.

That's my opinion. Does anyone dissent?

Old 03-30-2009, 07:19 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
Wow, I don't ever seem to agree with ANYTHING this potus does.

snip...

That's my opinion. Does anyone dissent?

I don't disagree with anything you've said, but I would add that it's partially the delusional, arrogant auto buyers here who believe the anti-American-car crap that has been bandied about for years.

IMO we need to get Obama impeached, set the imports to the same requirements as the American companies then see what happens. I'd mourn the loss of GM & Chrysler, but I mourn even more the march towards Marxism this POTUS is conducting.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:50 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
Chrysler is already "Daimler/Chrysler" as in "Daimler/Benz"

Old 03-30-2009, 07:54 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Don't you mean MORE MONEY.

Maybe we don't need US automakers if they're that out of touch with reality.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 03-30-2009 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: no personal comments please

Old 03-30-2009, 07:57 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
No it isn't,Daimler is no longer owner of Chrysler.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:58 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Daimler sold their stake in Chrysler in late 2006, poster. Nobama is forcing Chrysler to reopen negotiations with Fiat. Not a good idea IMO as Fiat has had quality issues for years. (Their newest car is cute, though.)

Old 03-30-2009, 07:59 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Whatever happened to the established corp bankruptcy and reorganization process? It seemed to work OK for some airlines.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:59 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Don't you mean MORE MONEY.
The OP is telling half-truths, as usual.

Maybe we don't need US automakers if they're that out of touch with reality.
what are you talking about MORE MONEY?
how is the OP telling half-truths here?
I clearly got from the article that was posted that IF GM merges with FIAT then they will get some money. If they do NOT merge, they get NO money...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies