Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 03:51 PM

346 posts, read 407,974 times

Advertisements

Will this never end?? Not until we are living like a third world country if these fools get their way.
"The quest for squeaky-clean dishes has turned some law-abiding people in Spokane into dishwater-detergent smugglers. They are bringing Cascade or Electrasol in from out of state because the eco-friendly varieties required under Washington state law don't work as well. Spokane County became the launch pad last July for the nation's strictest ban on dishwasher detergent made with phosphates, a measure aimed at reducing water pollution. The ban will be expanded statewide in July 2010, the same time similar laws take effect in several other states.
But it's not easy to get sparkling dishes when you go green.
Many people were shocked to find that products like Seventh Generation, Ecover and Trader Joe's left their dishes encrusted with food, smeared with grease and too gross to use without rewashing them by hand. … As a result, there has been a quiet rush of Spokane-area shoppers heading east on Interstate 90 into Idaho in search of old-school suds."

Not to worry apparently according to the link there is a bill to ban dishwashing detergent that works across the whole country.

Spokane residents smuggle suds over green brands (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090328/ap_on_re_us/bootleg_detergent - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 03:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Next thing you know they will start selling water in place of gasoline. Their frankly are too incompteitent to write any legistation that actaully that works. Voters need to wakeup and look at the idots they are electing.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:13 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Sounds like the need for a strong "Detergent Czar".

Mandatory, stiff penalties for detergent smuggling and use must be enforced.

With the earth in the balance, deviant washing behavior must NOT be tolerated.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:18 PM

346 posts, read 407,974 times
This stuff is getting out of control. I read a thing were these kooks want to ban toilet paper now and you would have to use a poop rag and just wash it but when detergent of all kinds is banned how the hell are you supposed to wash anything???

Old 04-01-2009, 04:29 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Next thing you know they will start selling water in place of gasoline. Their frankly are too incompteitent to write any legistation that actaully that works. Voters need to wakeup and look at the idots they are electing.
Well, no offense (and I SERIOUSLY mean that) but it's pretty funny that you misspelled incompetent.

In truth though, I have some real sympathy for you position and do agree that environmental concerns - like those about security - can and do sometimes get misplaced - and the detergent situation may well be such a case (can't say for sure since I've not yet tried the "environmental friendly" detergents).

Personally I have a similar serious gripe with Seattle's banning of styrofoam take-out food containers since I find the paper ones used in their place simply do not hold up long enough to even get the food home. I live just south of the Seattle City limits and really love a teriyaki place just inside the Seattle City limits but now no longer get take out there because the bottoms of the new containers fall out - so now I patronize another place outside of the Seattle City limits (and therefor can still utilize styrofoam containers). I don't like the food nearly as much, but it's better than eating paper with my meal.

History is (unfortunately) full of missplaced good intentions.
Sounds like perhaps the new detergent rules may be just such an example.

Ken

Old 04-20-2009, 08:26 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
the funny thing is that phosphates are good for the garden and lawn. The eco-nuts have been out of control and I believe are supported by industry. There's more profit on useless products than ones that have real ingredients in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies