Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, who do you think are more intolerant: conservatives or liberals??
Conservatives 56 41.79%
Liberals 78 58.21%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:58 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
That's their techniques ... When they have no support for their positions, they resort to childish name-calling and insults.
So do Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 12:02 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
So do Republicans.
Some Republicans are conservative, while most aren't. Some Democrats are conservative, while must aren't. All depends on how you look at it. For example, one can be conservative on some issues, but not on others. Overall, there are more extreme liberals in the Democrat ranks than in the Republican's, but a lot of the republicans are somewhere close to right of center (a lot like the last Republican candidate for president, who isn't a conservative).

Old 04-09-2009, 12:25 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
so if someone is not tolerant of intolerance.. they're the more intolerant?

Talk about smoke screen if I ever saw one...
Nice try...

I refuse to accept the premis that because certain conservative principles aren't popular or not wanting to be heard automatically makes them a victim of intolerance...
There are such things in society as standards.. and if you want to call intolerant principles "standards" that deserve the same weight as common sense principles.. you're very uneducated, or at the very least dilusional...
I'm convinced that many of u that like to chant this rant... think of yourselves as brilliant little tricksters.. but unfortunately.. most people aren't as dumb as you'd like them to be... HENCE the election results...

Have a nice day

Old 04-09-2009, 12:34 AM

67 posts, read 248,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The liberals are the ones who use the "various versions of the Bibles" you have talked about, not the conservatives. The liberals are the ones who want to change the rules to fit their needs. The same is happening to the Jewish religion.
Um, no it wasn't. We (speaking on behalf of "liberals" that at least I know) don't go to church... I don't need an organized religion if I feel the need to believe in anything. I also don't need some book of "guidance" with stories to help me live my life. What version of "the bible" have you adopted? And which "jesus" have you decided exists? Furthermore, which "jesus" have you decided does not? Are the Arabs liberals because they have a different religion?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:44 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrone1 View Post
And it's conservatism that allows the various versions of "religion" and the various versions of the "bible" and the "jesus" and the "god" to exist. Give me a break. No one is perfect, but at least be realistic.
Um... yeah, sort of.
That is correct if conservatism includes supporting the Constitution of the United States and its amendments. It is the first of those amendments that allow religious freedom in the United States. Lately, the conservative viewpoint has been that the first amendment provides for freedom of religion, allowing the free exercise of one's religious beliefs (within acceptable standards). The liberals have twisted it to provide for freedom from religion, meaning they don't want any mention of religion (especially Christianity) to come into their lives whatsoever.

God existed long before there was ever any thought of Conservatism or Liberalism. Political philosophy does not change that. Jesus exists as the Son of God to those who accept a Christian worldview. The Bible exists as the Word of God to those who choose to believe. One's political viewpoint has very little to do with whether or not they believe in the existence of God, or which religious viewpoint they accept. There are Christians that are conservative, and others that are liberal. There are Athiests, Hindus, Muslims, and others on both sides of the political fence, so to speak.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:56 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrone1 View Post
Um, no it wasn't. We (speaking on behalf of "liberals" that at least I know) don't go to church... I don't need an organized religion if I feel the need to believe in anything. I also don't need some book of "guidance" with stories to help me live my life. What version of "the bible" have you adopted? And which "jesus" have you decided exists? Furthermore, which "jesus" have you decided does not? Are the Arabs liberals because they have a different religion?
Don't know what you are talking about. Your mind is wandering like under the influence of something, and this makes it difficult to keep up with you. The Bible is one thing alone, but some people interpret the Bible to fit their needs, and that's why there are religious groups that differ or use the Bible differently than others. There are religious groups where homosexuality is fine, but not so with those that adhere to biblical principles, and this is a single example of the various interpretations (a lot more exist). Of course you don't need any "book for guidance" on anything. In fact, new generations of Americans haven't had the need for any guidance on anything in their lives, not even from their family: father, mother, grandfather...nobody.

What has conservatism to do with the Bible? Can you explain further? Which Arabs have a different religion? Are all Muslims Arab? Are all Arabs Muslim? Are there any Arabs who are Christian?

But I will point-out something: in an Islamic nation such as Iran, those who stray away from Islamic principles are considered infidels.

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-09-2009 at 02:05 AM..

Old 04-09-2009, 02:37 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
I voted "conservative" by mistake. Disregard my vote!

Old 04-09-2009, 04:08 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
fundamentalist christian republicans aren't conservatives. they are christian conservatives.
I would say it's conservatives, they eat their own.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:23 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
So we have the equally intolerant and hateful conservatives and liberals.
Compassionate conservatives and tolerant liberals. But hypocrisy is what makes the liberals more odious.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:12 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,431 times
If you take the average Joe off the street, I'd say they are pretty tolerant. I think most folks are.

However, if you take a person that identifies him/herself as a liberal or a conservative, I can almost certainly assure you that that person will be intolerant of views other than their own.

So I'd have to say, they way the question is posed, they are equally intolerant and it looks like the poll result shows that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies