Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:58 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times

Advertisements

So sad playing politics with these kids lives. Obama sends his kids to private school but denies these kids the same opportunity.

Power Line - Congressional Dems and Obama bow to Teachers Unions, deal setback to Washington DC school children (http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2009/04/023307.php - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 11:33 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,818,345 times
This happens in California all the time.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:26 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
So sad playing politics with these kids lives. Obama sends his kids to private school but denies these kids the same opportunity.

Power Line - Congressional Dems and Obama bow to Teachers Unions, deal setback to Washington DC school children (http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2009/04/023307.php - broken link)
I'm so sad that I can't find a reference to Obama in your link...I may be wrong and that would make me so sad so could you point it out.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I'm so sad that I can't find a reference to Obama in your link...I may be wrong and that would make me so sad so could you point it out.
Oh you are right, this assumes the reader knows the whole issue. This has been an ongoing issue see the links below for backround.

White House Says Obama Will Not Allow D.C. School Vouchers To Expire | Political Hotsheet - CBS News

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/11/martin.vouchers/

Oh and by the way the Secretary of Education works for Obama! So sad!

Last edited by shorebaby; 04-12-2009 at 06:44 AM..

Old 04-12-2009, 07:13 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Oh you are right, this assumes the reader knows the whole issue. This has been an ongoing issue see the links below for backround.

White House Says Obama Will Not Allow D.C. School Vouchers To Expire | Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Commentary: Obama, Dems wrong to kill school vouchers - CNN.com

Oh and by the way the Secretary of Education works for Obama! So sad!
Who else would he work for

"Gibbs also said that the voucher program, which benefits students attending his daughter’s private school, is not a long term solution to the problem of subpar city schools."

You disagree, I suppose.

Why blame the teachers' union? Intelligent parents know that vouchers are a dumb, selfish idea. If you want your kid to have a good education, get involved with him and with his school, or get a scholarship/work out a financial arrangement with a private school. Why abandon the public school you're going to pay taxes for anyway, and why cheapen the private school?

Old 04-12-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Who else would he work for

"Gibbs also said that the voucher program, which benefits students attending his daughter’s private school, is not a long term solution to the problem of subpar city schools."

You disagree, I suppose.

Why blame the teachers' union? Intelligent parents know that vouchers are a dumb, selfish idea. If you want your kid to have a good education, get involved with him and with his school, or get a scholarship/work out a financial arrangement with a private school. Why abandon the public school you're going to pay taxes for anyway, and why cheapen the private school?
The teachers union is threatened by competition. The teachers union is against vouchers and the Democrat party is in their pocket.

Is that what intelligent parents know? Are you calling the DC parents who want the best for their kids dumb? I would hope not. I also would hope you are not saying the presence of poor kids in private schools cheapen them. I happen to think that a diverse student body is enriching.

To paraphrase Ronald Reagan the parents aren't abandoning public schools, public schools have abandoned them.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:32 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,838,183 times
You can be involved in your child's schooling to your heart's content, but it won't improve anything outside of the home or a PTA meeting.

Half of the blame needs to be put squarely on the disruptive students and the slackass parents who raise them like animals.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:42 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
It was harsh to rescind the vouchers, but as the S of S pointed out funding wasnt guaranteed beyond 2010. Determined parents can get scholarships or work out financial arrangements with private schools. Other determined parents can get their kids to Harvard or wherever via public school. What would cheapen a public school wouldnt be the presence of poor but capable kids, it would be the presence of mediocre kids whose mediocre parents are angling for an upscale diploma on the cheap, at the expense of poor but otherwise qualified kids.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:45 AM

157 posts, read 180,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post

Half of the blame needs to be put squarely on the disruptive students and the slackass parents who raise them like animals.
I'd say more like 99% of the problem. Losers breed losers, with few exceptions. The 40% single mom stat...terrifying.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
It was harsh to rescind the vouchers, but as the S of S pointed out funding wasnt guaranteed beyond 2010. Determined parents can get scholarships or work out financial arrangements with private schools. Other determined parents can get their kids to Harvard or wherever via public school. What would cheapen a public school wouldnt be the presence of poor but capable kids, it would be the presence of mediocre kids whose mediocre parents are angling for an upscale diploma on the cheap, at the expense of poor but otherwise qualified kids.

It is more than harsh is is a tragedy. They are taking a kid who has been exposed to the best the country has to offer in education then ripping it away from them sending them back to what could be considered one of the worst educational experiences the country has to offer all because the are too poor.

It is very difficult for parents (and very often it is single parents) to earn a living , and do all the other activities of daily living and stay on top of their schools. Also they are not very powerful voices. If the elites were forced to stay in the inner city schools you would see them turn around very quickly.

The teachers union represents the teachers, not the kids, not the parents. Their is no powerful organization representing parents. What happens to the teachers and management of poorly perfoming schools? Not much, try getting rid of a tenured teacher in NY. If the money spent per child were to follow the children regardless of where they went public/private the poor performing schools would close or improve. That does not favor the unions so of course they are against it.

As far as inferior students going to top schools, I am not sure how you make that leap. Like gifted and talented programs in good public schools the privates could still keep their competitive admission process.

The elites are used to 2 tiers one for us and one for them. Watch healtcare. If universal healthcare becomes the law. The elites will op out of public healthcare, as they do now with public schools and go to private doctors who are not part of the government program.

Last edited by shorebaby; 04-12-2009 at 10:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies